• The KillerFrogs

Official Coaching Search Thread….

flyfishingfrog

A lot of you just can't get it through your head that NONE of the BIG names were interested in taking the TCU job. Art Briles - no way. Deion Sanders - an unproven head coach. The other names that are being thrown around - most didn't even want to interview. Only one proven HC that has shown the ability to work the transfer portal and recruit locally wanted the job.

Nobody knows how it will turn out, just like nobody knew how it would turn out when Gary was hired. Give the guy a chance to see what he can do and quit [ hundin] ing about it.
Again - since we eliminated the coordinators once Elliot was discussed - we destined ourselves to mediocrity because no HC worth hiring was going to say yes

Its called failing before you start

Not like we don’t have a 12 year track record to understand what we hired - Mr “middle of the pack” in good years

TAINTed frog

If I learned anything from this process, it's that the TCU job isn't as good of a job as most of us think/thought it was.
Correct. Especially against the likes of LSU, USC, Florida, Miami (most likely soon to be).

(1) It also doesn’t help that we’ve been irrelevant for 5 out of the last 6 years.
(2) Our conference affiliation is in limbo.
(3) The coaching pool is extremely shallow given all of the job openings.

We’re a good place to land but not great and potential hires will/are/would bide their time if they believe they have a better shot at a bigger school or want to wait for the next cycle.

So your entire premise is he did better at SMU than anyone else in their past so he will do better than an anyone else at TCU?

How is that any more valid than the fact that he has only 1 conference championship in 12 years as a HC and never finished above the middle of the conference in a weaker conference while at SMU?

Or that at every other stop he has had as HC - others did better than he did?

Take his name off of his results as an HC and he is the definition of mediocre. Maybe that is what we deserve in the greater scheme of college football.

But we would never have hired Sonny as our HC if we had needed one previously - for whatever reason we are at this point, I don’t see how anyone can truly believe we didn’t settle for Dykes

It’s a straight up bad hire, no doubt about it. I have no idea why JD and the committee settled In on this guy.

The numbers associated with him are the definition of mediocre to bad.

Moose Stuff

Again - since we eliminated the coordinators once Elliot was discussed - we destined ourselves to mediocrity because no HC worth hiring was going to say yes

Its called failing before you start

Not like we don’t have a 12 year track record to understand what we hired - Mr “middle of the pack” in good years
You’re basically maniac complaining about +4/seating/attendance at this point. If I’m being honest you come across as more bitter that the committee didn’t value your opinion than you are that we hired a coach you don’t like.

Apparently Sonny is unlikely to be bringing his coordinators over from SMU as agents are saying he's been on the horn looking for both an OC and DC.
Another way to look at it: Sonny isn’t bringing a lot of his SMU staff because he’s confident he could build a better staff at TCU given the far superior resources and job platform it provides.

This also has the benefit of being true.

82 Frog Fever

I hate this hire for many reasons. Biggest reason is our defense sucked and we hired an offense minded coach. Well life isn’t fair! Now that the decision is made I will support this Coach with all I have. If he fails our school fails. Get over it and support the Program I know I will.

The main concern with Sonny is probably Defense; although, part of his issue is due to the style of offense he runs.
TCU was never going to hire a coach with a focus on defense this time around.

flyfishingfrog

You’re basically maniac complaining about +4/seating/attendance at this point. If I’m being honest you come across as more bitter that the committee didn’t value your opinion than you are that we hired a coach you don’t like.
Wasn’t my opinion they ignored - it was the external experts we paid

My problem isn’t with the committee- it’s with the under qualified person who ran it

It was predictable we would end up with Mr Mediocrity as our coach from the start- so you are right, I should not be annoyed - we let it happen

TX_Krötenechse

Wasn’t my opinion they ignored - it was the external experts we paid

My problem isn’t with the committee- it’s with the under qualified person who ran it

It was predictable we would end up with Mr Mediocrity as our coach from the start- so you are right, I should not be annoyed - we let it happen
Are you privy to the information given by the hiring consultants to our AD? Are you privy to all of the actions and communications that our AD did during this process? Because if not, you’re talking purely out of your ass.