• The KillerFrogs

Official Coaching Search Thread….

Moose Stuff

No, that isn't my entire premise, just like him really wanting to be at TCU is the criteria. Why do you keep doing that, don't you think it's a little more nuanced than that?

I don't get what you're saying, if you're hell bent on saying we settled on SD, have at it. Who cares? Unless you're getting the top one or two guys you're settling. And the Florida, USC and LSU jobs are open. If Florida wants Napier and they end up with someone else, they are settling. If LSU wants Aranda and they get Napier, they are settling. If USC wants Aranda and they get someone else, they are settling. Baylor is going to settle for someone. So is Va Tech. So is UW. If Justin Wilcox is the guy they want and they hire him, are they settling? He was 13-22 in the Pac 12.
Even if LSU ends up with Aranda that’s settling.

flyfishingfrog

Even if LSU ends up with Aranda that’s settling.
Yeah settling for a guy about to play in the conference championship of a P5 vs for a guy who has never sniffed one….

Settling for someone besides your first choice doesn’t mean you have to accept mediocrity but a 12 year track record seems to not be enough to demonstrate the future results I guess

Last edited:

CountryFrog

No one who is against this hire is ever going to change their mind unless we win a lot of games really soon. So there's probably no point in continuing to litigate this thing over and over again with the exact same arguments. If you think it was a terrible hire then you can find some things to back up that argument. If you think it's a great hire then you can find some things to back that up to. I'm not sure many people are actually basing any of their conclusions on facts but rather finding facts that will fit their already formed opinion.

And as Moose pointed out, many of those who are against the hire will just say "I told you so" after any and every loss regardless of how much winning happens between those losses.

Moose Stuff

Yeah settling for a guy about to play in the conference championship of a P5 vs for a guy who has never sniffed one at….

Settling for someone besides your first choice
Doesn’t mean you have to accept mediocrity but a 12 track record seems to not be enough to demonstrate the future results I guess
You’ve got me confused with someone who gives a scheiss. Napier was my guy, we didn’t get him, I moved on.

CountryFrog

Yeah settling for a guy about to play in the conference championship of a P5 vs for a guy who has never sniffed one at….

Settling for someone besides your first choice
Doesn’t mean you have to accept mediocrity but a 12 track record seems to not be enough to demonstrate the future results I guess
The funny thing here is that you'd probably be laughing at the hire if someone had taken Arranda after last season. Is he suddenly a much better coach now after a single good season? Was he always great and last season was a fluke?

I tend to think he's probably a good coach but there's still only a very small track record to go on. And I'm sure any naysayers at LSU will still say "but he couldn't even beat a terrible TCU team. We need to do better!"

froginaustin

Just curious for those that remember, but wasn’t Patterson’s hire kind of looked down on? Seems like not everyone was exited about him being promoted from DC to head coach. Not sure if I am making that up in my head or if true.

IIRC, when Franchione hit the road, there was actually a faction of the fan base that wanted to hire PHIL BENNETT, then the defensive coordinator for Snyder at K-State.

Speaking of roads, imagine what TCU's (and Franchione's; and Alabama's; and maybe even A'nM's*) might have been with Coach Bennett as head coach here, and Coach Patterson as Fran's DC at Alabama.

*who cares about SMU's? That's not entertaining speculation.

ED: If WIN is making it up in his head, he transmitted it to my head because I think I remember some serious kvetching about promoting a young coordinator rather than going outside the Fran staff for TCU's hire.

Last edited:

Realtorfrog

Yeah they really liked the Wells hire too.
CDC is wearing thin and if he isn't on the hot seat, it's at least starting to warm up.
Not a single word uttered about Urban Myer in relationship to any opening, which is interesting considering his cratering NFL career.
Matt Campbell was never really a target and wouldn't hit the TCU timeline. And it would be bad form stealing from another B12 school.
Aranda is gone? Back to LSU? He's a good coach well deserving of the opportunity to take LSU to the next level.
Which leaves the door wide open for Bill Napier at TCU. Maybe the last second TCU push for Napier will strike gold?

Cajuns-Napier.jpg
We can only hope for a change from mediocrity

HG73

If I ever get good at this I'm going to be worried about myself because we're going back and forth about something we have absolutely no say in and not one single living organism on this planet gives two s#$@ about what we are talking about. So no I hope I'm not very good at this and if you are and take pride in that then maybe get some new hobbies....or a girl.

Gary stayed because Gary is something a lot of our fans know nothing about which is loyalty. He stayed becasue he loved TCU, loved Fort Worth and wanted to build something great here. He also probably stayed because he's smart enough to see what college football is and realized if he stayed and created something great here he could do it his way and would be relatively safe when it comes to job security. Talk to any college football coach and they would tell you they'd love to know where they will be next year, or next week in some cases. The record over the last 6 season is not a good record, I'll give you that. We aren't talking about the last 6 seasons though, we are talking about what he did for TCU and Fort Worth over the last 23 or whatever it is. The fact that we "expect" to win 9/10 games a year is proof of what he did for TCU because there was a time, literally right before GP took over that we were happy with 3/4 wins a season. He stayed out of loyalty and the last 6 season don't matter because we are talking about how he literally turned TCU into a well known football program and in turn school.

The staff he put together have done a pretty damn good job when you look at the fact that they have been at the same school for 20+ years in some cases. I do think both sides needed some upgrades but the reason GP wouldn't make those changes is the same answere to your first question, he's loyal....too much for his own good.

Tell me what you would consider a tough situation and I'll tell you at least one from the last 20+ years.

You're obviously a sensitive person because it sounds like someone got their feelings got hurt and it's also obvious that you are not a college football fan bc that's a quote from The Program, the greatest football movie ever made. Since you got serious about it, ye
GP also stayed because TCU gave him a raise every time a school flirted with him. Eventually there were 6 million reasons to stay.

tcudoc

Point = proven.
Consider both point and proven as non zero
point = proven
Then point squared = (point)(proven)
Subtract the same thing from both sides:
point squared – proven squared = (point)(proven) – proven squared.
Dividing by (point-proven), obtain
point + proven = proven
Since point = proven, we see that
2 (proven) = proven
Divide each side by proven
Thus 2 = 1, since we started with proven as a nonzero.
Subtracting 1 from both sides,
1 = 0.

point = proven
point + proven = proven
2 (proven) = proven
1 = 0.
Why do you make everything a binary decision?

Tony Lema

Ticket Exchange Pass
IIRC, when Franchione hit the road, there was actually a faction of the fan base that wanted to hire PHIL BENNETT, then the defensive coordinator for Snyder at K-State.

Speaking of roads, imagine what TCU's (and Franchione's; and Alabama's; and maybe even A'nM's*) might have been with Coach Bennett as head coach here, and Coach Patterson as Fran's DC at Alabama.

ED: If WIN is making it up in his head, he transmitted it to my head because I think I remember some serious kvetching about promoting a young coordinator rather than going outside the Fran staff for TCU's hire.
You remember correctly. Bennett was being offered the job, a BMD insisted that Gary be hired, and he was. He wasn't the popular hire, just as Dykes isn't now. I think it turned out pretty well.

mantikos

You remember correctly. Bennett was being offered the job, a BMD insisted that Gary be hired, and he was. He wasn't the popular hire, just as Dykes isn't now. I think it turned out pretty well.
You also remember that Gary has a ton of support from the players, any players from 2017 chime in on Dykes yet?

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Vice Chancellor Bill Koehler was the one who decided it for Patterson. He essentially said, "I think we've got a pretty good guy here right now, who wants the job, and the players like him. If it was me, I'd hire him." And he got up and walked out of the room. a mic drop before there was such a thing...

It's fun to remember Who Might Have Been. Bob Davie was the rival candidate to Pat Sullivan. At the time, he was an A&M Coordinator and headed their recruiting. He wound up going to Notre Dame where he flamed out.

Tshirt Fan

So now Dykes is comparable to LHCGMFP?
Trying to polish this as anything other than a bridge hire is comical, farcical at best.

Dogfrog

If there were people griping about hiring Patterson maybe it was because they had no idea that his defense was #1 in the nation the season before and he had just won an award as top national coordinator. Hyman wanted Watson Brown. Dick Lowe and Bill Koehler wanted Gary.

Salfrog

Tier 1
point = proven
point + proven = proven
2 (proven) = proven
1 = 0.
Hey now, no one said math would be involved.