• The KillerFrogs

Bye Donati

Eight

In an environment like this one, you start to engage the heaviest of donors individually to gauge their confidence and support of the program/legend and also have frank internal discussions with the legend outlining the definite need for some staff changes after the season that will help shake up the chemistry and enhance the program based on the recent changes to the sport, NIL, culture, etc. You do so with the conversation centering around the fact that under no circumstances that you want the legend to go away, and that the need for this change is based on your own reviews, but also echoed by the majority of the heaviest donors. You do it with mutual respect and admiration between yourself and the legend because you have a great relationship with the legend. A friend to friend type deal even though you are the boss. You don’t make it an attack, but rather a reality of the culture and environment of change that we are in. You win the legend over to this fact and these needs and assure him the staff that’s being replaced will be very well taken care of by the university. If this situation doesn’t go as scripted you end up with the legend letting you know that he’s going to go ahead and retire and sit out that transition because he just can’t stomach it all and is tired and needs a break. Agreements are made and the legend rides off in the sunset with no hard feelings and the program replaces the legend without any great candidates worrying about what they might be stepping into given they are replacing a legend who has decided it was time to retire and slow down. That’s pretty much how it’s been done many times over the years around the country.

Or you rip the bandaid off…abruptly push the legend out…and hope like hell you catch lightening in a bottle with the hire you make. Then chew off your fingernails hoping and praying it goes exceptionally well very quickly so you don’t find out in a couple of years you blew off your own toes.

exactly how it went down in columbus with woody, seattle with don james, carbon copy of bobby's exit at fsu, both times at ksu, familar with how things went down with dkr and mack, ....

He did beat us twice in a row don'tcha know.........

Maybe the skillet will come back here again.

As Bum Phillips said related to good coaches:

"He could beat your'n with his'n

and then beat his'n with your'n"

Or something like that. We will see........

tetonfrog

Understand the concern, but Dykes will be better than the last 3 or 4 years under GP. For sustainable success, CSD will need to hire strong assistants & let them coach. At the minimum, the atmosphere around the program will be better.

Also, it will be good for us that we get 5 Big 12 homes games in his first year. The naysayers might be right, but at least we will get to see the new regime at ACS. I would think one of his biggest priorities will be to reestablish a home-field advantage. Only way to do that is to check it out in person & then we can analyze the strengths & weaknesses of our new coach.

It could be really fun……………or not. We shall see.

gofor2

Do you suppose these gloomy posters will still be participating here if we do hire Dykes and we do very well in the next several years? Will they be disappointed in our success? (And are they really Frog Fans?)
I interpret things quite a bit differently when looking at "gloomy posters". Being critical of how a firing was handled and who is brought in as a replacement shows care and support for TCU and the football program. I would venture to guess that we all want success as the endpoint.

I don't think its a great hire (he'll probably be serviceable) but I hope I am wrong. Perhaps there are intangibles that he brings that will create success. Maybe he hits some home runs on assistant hires, or connect with recruits in ways that GP couldn't.

Last edited:

Hemingway

In an environment like this one, you start to engage the heaviest of donors individually to gauge their confidence and support of the program/legend and also have frank internal discussions with the legend outlining the definite need for some staff changes after the season that will help shake up the chemistry and enhance the program based on the recent changes to the sport, NIL, culture, etc. You do so with the conversation centering around the fact that under no circumstances that you want the legend to go away, and that the need for this change is based on your own reviews, but also echoed by the majority of the heaviest donors. You do it with mutual respect and admiration between yourself and the legend because you have a great relationship with the legend. A friend to friend type deal even though you are the boss. You don’t make it an attack, but rather a reality of the culture and environment of change that we are in. You win the legend over to this fact and these needs and assure him the staff that’s being replaced will be very well taken care of by the university. If this situation doesn’t go as scripted you end up with the legend letting you know that he’s going to go ahead and retire and sit out that transition because he just can’t stomach it all and is tired and needs a break. Agreements are made and the legend rides off in the sunset with no hard feelings and the program replaces the legend without any great candidates worrying about what they might be stepping into given they are replacing a legend who has decided it was time to retire and slow down. That’s pretty much how it’s been done many times over the years around the country.

Or you rip the bandaid off…abruptly push the legend out…and hope like hell you catch lightening in a bottle with the hire you make. Then chew off your fingernails hoping and praying it goes exceptionally well very quickly so you don’t find out in a couple of years you blew off your own toes.
That’s reads like a movie script
but we’ve all been there when the best-laid plans of mice and men oft go astray

MadFrog

We have two programs in the ditch -- basketball and volleyball. They clearly need new leadership. After two years of Dykes, football will be the third. Maybe by then Donati will be gone and we can find an AD that knows when and how to run a new football coach search. If we had just waited to tell GP after the season, I believe a bunch more current head coaches would have been willing to talk to us. I still don't believe the Big 12 will survive as is. I bet there is a P5 out there that will come after OSU. They had a great season. TCU could not be in a worse position for further Big 12 desertions. This was not the year to go 5-7 in football and to always have a below .500 basketball team. Our basketball recruiting has and continues to be mostly "leftovers".

Prince of Purpoole II

Reigning Smartarse

Donati did not have to “engage the heaviest donors individually;” they went to him.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Totally disagree with original poster, ADJD has been tremendous over the past month. Time will tell with Dykes but I think a few years down the road this hire will make him look even better.
It's just poo-flinging. There are those who hate Donati for whatever reasons. There are those who hate SD (The New Guy) for whatever reason. And, there are those who simply fling poo...

PurplFrawg

Administrator
It's just poo-flinging. There are those who hate Donati for whatever reasons. There are those who hate SD (The New Guy) for whatever reason. And, there are those who simply fling poo...
tenor.gif

Hope we change Block T back to Letterman's Assoc when he's gone. Lord knows that unilateral move wasn't voted on by the actual lettermen.
I still can't believe they didn't just change it to the TCU Letter Association. It was that easy, and it was right there in front of them if actually implementing a change was necessary. Or TCU Athletics Letter Association.

Tshirt Fan

How did I miss this post? Going to Walgreens now to grab some gauze packs and trauma kits. I can't feel my toes anymore.

tcufrogprince1

Totally disagree with original poster, ADJD has been tremendous over the past month. Time will tell with Dykes but I think a few years down the road this hire will make him look even better.
What has he done that makes you think he has done well? He lost our baseball coach and almost lost the current coach. He screwed up the exit of our most successful football coach to hire a lame duck coach. He has held on to Jamie Dixon who hasn't done squat. What has he done?

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
What has he done that makes you think he has done well? He lost our baseball coach and almost lost the current coach. He screwed up the exit of our most successful football coach to hire a lame duck coach. He has held on to Jamie Dixon who hasn't done squat. What has he done?
Lost? He wanted out. He left. Adios.
Patterson was digging himself a deep, deep hole and wouldn't listen to anyone telling him to quit digging. Least of all his boss. He was given every chance to turn things around. He didn't. All good things...
Dixon wanted the UCLA job just like any basketball coach would. Problem was, they wanted him cheap, and tried to lie their way into getting him and avoid paying a buyout. Donati did well there. At the time, no one thought Dixon would take a dump and fall over backwards like he has. I imagine, with the firing of Patterson, Dixon realizes he's next up on the scaffold if he doesn't make some noise. Last night didn't help matters...

Stop sounding like flyfishing. It's annoying.

Don Sanders

Rather have a new baseball coach and the AD did right with that issue.
Patterson was not capable with change and his leaving is correct
for now and a newer coach is required.

Why do folks on this site, know more than the TCU employees?