• The KillerFrogs

Official Coaching Search Thread….

CountryFrog

This is true. I was among the crowd accused of overreacting in 2018 with mid-season prognostications of doom and gloom. I wish I'd been wrong, but here we are.

I'm upbeat about Dykes, though. People used to tell us that what GP had done at TCU wasn't that difficult because we were only in the MWC, but we knew better. He was a great coach who achieved something singularly spectacular. Winning isn't easy anywhere. Now that it's us hiring a guy from SMU, why are some changing their tunes? It wasn't easy to win at TCU in the MWC, and it isn't easy to win at SMU in the CUSA. Dykes has done well at SMU; he's a good coach. Let's hope that transfers across town.
The big advantage that doom and gloomers will always have over the rest of us is that sooner or later they are always right.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
Well if that is the case, then this process of canning GP to bring in mediocrity, is a fail. There aren't even really all that many good candidates this year. That should have been researched and thought out prior to this whole endeavor because a bad hire means we are looking for another coach in 3-4 years.
10 of 14 SEC teams will have a coach with two or less years coaching their current team going into 2022. You do realize that it is way more common to run through coaches than to have a guys stick around (too long) for 20+ years.

GP had to go. Now we see what’s next. Not one name out there, none, guaranteed success or longevity. Not one.

4th. down

So, it's the Worst Kept Secret out there. Bad comms discipline...

Facebook is full of barking morons. If you are getting your opinions from there, God help you.

Beyond a few ghastly possibilities, I really don't care who the New Guy is. We desperately needed a change. The Program had sunk to depressing lows, and it was clear that nothing was going to change to stop the slide. As it has unfolded, it seems that Sonny was The New Guy from the get-go, and that Patterson was playing on a trap-door. The AD had a plan after all. Had things gone swimmingly this season, we'd have never heard a thing, but Sonny yanked Patterson's underwear over his head, again, and his fate was sealed. The trap door fell open, and Patterson dropped down the pit to the hungry crocodiles below...

The New Guy will be hated by some, simply because he replaced a Legend. If he loses out the gate, then the whole mass will turn on him. He must win early and often, lest we become Just Like Everybody Else and march the Head Coach out to the gallows every two years, replacing him with some New Guy that half the fans hate...
Your so right but we have to have a top flight DC to compete for a conf. championship. This Big 12 revision is looking good with 5 ranked teams.....it ain't going to be easy but Dykes will be able to score but we gotta stop someone and we couldn't do it with 2 DCs on staff.

SackLunch

who is this "we" you keep talking about that EXPECTS to win 9-10 games?

what the "we" i know expect is for the team to play hard, be well coached, execute, and play smart football. if that is too much please let me know how "we" are off base with our expectations

i am talking about the last 6 years because unlike most of our alums, recruits don't care about what tcu did in cusa or the mwc and consider that most high school recruits were around 6 years of age when tcu beat wisconsin in the rose bowl. recruiting is very much what have you done lately and that is one reason why an answer of not too much, but i killed it 12-15 years ago isn't a good answer

add in the pending conference reallignment and unfortunately there just isn't time for long, tearful goodbyes

finally, the only members on the staff who have been at tcu close or beyond 20 years are sharp, anderson, and chad

funny thing is if you ask who is making a mark in recruiting or whose guys have consistently overachieved those aren't the three namess that get mentioned, but since non of the posters here are big fans of loyalty i guess we get what we deserve righ
Your right, you win, I'm living on the old days...let's just say we both hope TCU has great hears to come.

gofor2

10 of 14 SEC teams will have a coach with two or less years coaching their current team going into 2022. You do realize that it is way more common to run through coaches than to have a guys stick around (too long) for 20+ years.

GP had to go. Now we see what’s next. Not one name out there, none, guaranteed success or longevity. Not one.

Little of that relates to my post, which is that bringing in a mediocre coach (if its Dykes) to replace GP might be a fail. The only way it becomes a good hire is if he hits a home run on his DC choice. Please give your thoughts on how a guy who has never placed better than 3rd in his division in the past 9 years, who has demonstrated poor defensive teams, is a good hire?

sonny.jpg

Last edited:

flyfishingfrog

True

But one at least one assures mediocrity- and he is all ours

flyfishingfrog

why? program in 5 of the last 6 years are below average in conference play and the defense has been sliding to historic levels of bad.
So? Man you must suck at life if your view is when things are going the wrong direction, you should just accept embrace the suck and ride it to the bottom

gofor2

why? program in 5 of the last 6 years are below average in conference play and the defense has been sliding to historic levels of bad.
Dykes teams over the past 9 years, on average have placed 6th-7th in their conference.
*He's never finished better than 5th in conference (3rd in his division was his best finish).
*No conference titles, not even a sniff of one.
*He just got railroaded 48-14
*His defenses are really bad. SMU is 85th in the FBS in points allowed per game.
*His defenses at Cal were even worse, like 110-120th in the FBS in points allowed.

I understand moving on from GP. I don't understand replacing him with a mediocre coach. The only thing that makes this work is that his DC and S&C hires are home runs. Not sure who his DCs were at his prior stops but if he brings those guys in we are screwed.

Last edited: