• The KillerFrogs

Please hire Sonny Dykes

Prime BEEF

I’d be pretty shocked if we do win 8 next year. This team is a big gigantic mess right now. Winning 8 games is harder than people realize.
The schedule is pretty favorable. ISU loses a bunch of players, bet Aranda leaves Baylor, WVU will have a new coach, and smu won’t have dykes. I think the 3 toughest matchups are OU, OSU and KSU and we get all 3 at home. But let’s say all 3 are losses and lose at Baylor or at WVU. That’s still 8 wins

flyfishingfrog

Yup watched every game. It was mostly coaching. Recruiting players that don’t fit your system and/or not getting players to develop or buy into what you are doing is also coaching.
so we are just going to keep those guys? the ones that don't fit - especially now that we will have a new system? or that didn't develop and hope that a new coach can develop them into what he needs?

Or are we going to need to hit the portal hard to find guys that fit the new system that Dykes runs - because it is quite different personnel wise from what Meach runs based on LaTech, Cal and SMU approach.

And I seriously doubt he will bring a DC with him that follows GP's approach to the scheme or even to the physical metrics he wants in each position - small and fast is a lot different than many of the other DC approaches.

Sorry - many of the guys we have now are going to need to find a new home either on the field position wise or in the color of their uniform if we really expect a different result - it is more than having a different group of guys wearing the headsets

flyfishingfrog

Oh it was very much mostly the coaching.
Maybe - I think we have a number of guys that were over projected in their football IQ and possibly in their ability to execute on the field - and it is shows up now since they are playing at a level where they are not 6" taller or 50 lbs heavier than everyone else and therefore they have to work to get open or battle in the trenches to maintain position or tackle legs instead of just run into someone.

and while you may view "teaching" them that as the reason why it was mostly the coaches fault - my experience playing at TCU taught me that a coach can refine your ability that you brought with you - but if you can't execute it physically, no amount of coaching is going to fix that.

Can you really teach someone to throw 100 mph if they show up only throwing 85? maybe sometimes but bet the answer most of the time is no because either they don't have the physical tools or they do but their motion is so bad they aren't using them - and if there motion was that flawed to start - they probably would have never made it to D1 to start.

Last edited:

Moose Stuff

Maybe - I think we have a number of guys that were over projected in their football IQ and possibly in their ability to execute on the field - and it is shows up now since they are playing at a level where they are not 6" taller or 50 lbs heavier than everyone else and therefore they have to work to get open or battle in the trenches to maintain position or tackle legs instead of just run into someone.

and while you may view "teaching" them that as the reason why it was mostly the coaches fault - my experience playing at TCU taught me that a coach can refine your ability that you brought with you - but if you can't execute it physically, no amount of coaching is going to fix that.

Can you really teach someone to throw 100 mph if they show up only throwing 85? maybe sometimes but bet the answer most of the time is no because either they don't have the physical tools or they do but their motion is so bad they are using them - and if there motion was that flawed to start - they probably would have never made it to D1 to start.
For sure. It certainly was not ENTIRELY the coaching.

Virginia Frog

I’d be pretty shocked if we do win 8 next year. This team is a big gigantic mess right now. Winning 8 games is harder than people realize.
2022, an even year, we do have 5 home B12 games and with both Okies in the house. So our odds go up due to that reason alone. Plus, we won't have to waste a home date (and home court advantage) with Kansas (this year was only close because we're pretty hosed-up this season. An aberration I believe)

Last edited:

westoverhillbilly

The whole Gary and Sonny Dykes ordeal reminds me of Darrell Royal's demise when he was forced out after 20 years and was spending his last few years hanging around in the country music scene a la Gary. Royal, like Gary, killed it until his last 5 years then got unfocused and lost his team via injuries and being too old to relate to the changing environment of African American players. Fred Akers, who had spent time on Darrell's staff, was hired after having ok but not particularly good teams at Wyoming (equivalent to a G5 today)- he killed it his first year at UT by taking his 1st team to the NC game and again 6 years later.. I think there's a decent chance that Sonny will have similar beginner's success. TCU has alot of players that can perform at a high level- this is why Sonny wants to be here- he knows the level of players that are here and just need a different approach and to eliminate the atrophy that built up in the last 5-7 years here.

flyfishingfrog

We’re 5-6 right now. Not what we expect, but many around here act like it’s 1-10. At least competent run defense could have added 2 wins to this year.
Well glad you have a positive attitude toward the idea of 7-5/8-4 - since Dykes has only beaten that record twice in his entire coaching career

Some numbers for the uninformed:

1. 71-62 career record over 12 years

2. 1 conference championship in 12 years, and that was in the WAC 10 years ago.

3. 5-22 against the top 25 overall, 3-7 at SMU with all 3 teams finishing the season unranked, two were ranked #25 when he beat them.

4. 1-3 in bowl games

5. Team defensive ranking (130 total teams)-

La Tech - 2010 - 89
La Tech - 2011 - 24
La Tech - 2012 - 110

Cal - 2013 - 99
Cal - 2014 - 105
Cal - 2015 - 79
Cal - 2016 - 115

SMU - 2018 - 63
SMU - 2019 - 65
SMU - 2020 - 81
SMU - 2020 - 74

The Cal stint on defense was historically bad, fielding one of the worst defenses during his tenure in the history of the program:

5. La Tech, over 3 years, 22-15 overall, 14-7 in conference,
Finished 5th, 1st, and 3rd in conference

At Cal, his only P5 experience, over 4 years, 19-39 overall, 10-26 in conference, Fired from Cal
Finished 6th, 4th, 4th, 4th (out of 6 schools in his division)

At SMU, 30-17 overall, 18-12 in conference
Finished 4th, 3rd, 5th, and could end up anywhere from 4th to 6th this season. Best finishes will be 3rd overall, with an average finish of 4th in the conference (11 schools)

6. Of SMU's 8 wins in 2021, not one has come against a D1 program with a wining record. He has lost his last 3 out of 4 games, beat La Tech on a hail Mary, and squeaked by Navy

7. Overall, at SMU, He's 2-7 on the road in the second half of the season, and those 2 wins came against teams that were a combined 5-14. One was a 3 point win and the other was a 10-point comeback against a one win team.

8. In November at SMU, overall he is 5-11

9. He has an overall losing record against teams that are .500 or better over his career.

10. Does not have one signature win tied to his name over 12 years.

11. Was named coach of the year once in the WAC (2011)

Peacefrog

Degenerate
This will be one of the worst hires and Donatis swan song. You don't mess up a legends retirement and hire a failure of a coa h and keep your job. Expect 2 years max.
Some numbers for the uninformed:

1. 71-62 career record over 12 years

2. 1 conference championship in 12 years, and that was in the WAC 10 years ago.

3. 5-22 against the top 25 overall, 3-7 at SMU with all 3 teams finishing the season unranked, two were ranked #25 when he beat them.

4. 1-3 in bowl games

5. Team defensive ranking (130 total teams)-

La Tech - 2010 - 89
La Tech - 2011 - 24
La Tech - 2012 - 110

Cal - 2013 - 99
Cal - 2014 - 105
Cal - 2015 - 79
Cal - 2016 - 115

SMU - 2018 - 63
SMU - 2019 - 65
SMU - 2020 - 81
SMU - 2020 - 74

The Cal stint on defense was historically bad, fielding one of the worst defenses during his tenure in the history of the program:

5. La Tech, over 3 years, 22-15 overall, 14-7 in conference,
Finished 5th, 1st, and 3rd in conference

At Cal, his only P5 experience, over 4 years, 19-39 overall, 10-26 in conference, Fired from Cal
Finished 6th, 4th, 4th, 4th (out of 6 schools in his division)

At SMU, 30-17 overall, 18-12 in conference
Finished 4th, 3rd, 5th, and could end up anywhere from 4th to 6th this season. Best finishes will be 3rd overall, with an average finish of 4th in the conference (11 schools)

6. Of SMU's 8 wins in 2021, not one has come against a D1 program with a wining record. He has lost his last 3 out of 4 games, beat La Tech on a hail Mary, and squeaked by Navy

7. Overall, at SMU, He's 2-7 on the road in the second half of the season, and those 2 wins came against teams that were a combined 5-14. One was a 3 point win and the other was a 10-point comeback against a one win team.

8. In November at SMU, overall he is 5-11

9. He has an overall losing record against teams that are .500 or better over his career.

10. Does not have one signature win tied to his name over 12 years.

11. Was named coach of the year once in the WAC (2011)
You two should start a forum where the whole point is to just post the same thought over and over again and then you can like each other’s posts. You’ll feel great about yourselves every morning when you’re sitting on the toilet smiling at the like counts.