• The KillerFrogs

Prayers for the Andrews, Texas Community

Outback Frog

Just want to add the Lubbock is NOT in West Texas, it’s in the Panhandle. West Texas starts in Big Spring
West Texas is all encompassing of many regions of the western part of the state. Some might argue it starts somewhere between Ft. Worth and Abilene all the way to El Paso. What the regions all have in common is how far apart many of the towns are with large sections being sparsely populated.

Chongo94

West Texas is all encompassing of many regions of the western part of the state. Some might argue it starts somewhere between Ft. Worth and Abilene all the way to El Paso. What the regions all have in common is how far apart many of the towns are with large sections being sparsely populated.
Yeah, it was nothing for me to drive from my town to anywhere all over that area. Then I moved to dfw and people up here won’t drive 45 minutes away unless it’s for a commute it seems.

Outback Frog

Yeah, it was nothing for me to drive from my town to anywhere all over that area. Then I moved to dfw and people up here won’t drive 45 minutes away unless it’s for a commute it seems.
LOL! Amen! Many times over the years I have driven back and forth from Ft. Worth to Big Spring the same day and thought nothing of it (round trip 518 miles/ roughly 7 1/2 hours).

FrogAbroad

Now that we have brought up the geographical differences of West Texas (it does vary significantly), one of the more interesting aspects about the region is how many of ranches from the panhandle all the way down to the mountains of the Big Bend area, have TCU connections. Amazing how many parents that own those ranches send their kids to TCU over the years. Of course the Ranch Management Program at TCU has a lot to do with that, but many kids major in other fields as well.
Part of that, certainly, is due to Ranch Management at TCU. But another factor is the Star-Telegram, which a few decades ago was THE "big city newspaper" for West Texas. TCU had a prominent place in the paper's news and sports coverage as well as news from the West Texas oil patch. Certainly there were other, more local newspapers, but Mr. Carter's FWST led the way for many years.

Tony Lema

Ticket Exchange Pass
I drove 70 miles to take my high school girlfriend to dinner and a movie and then back home, another 70 miles. No big deal back then, and probably isn't today either.

Outback Frog

The Andrews vs Springtown game just kicked off at 2:00 in Sweetwater after being postponed. The Sweetwater band is playing in place of the Andrews band. A similar classy act took place not many years ago when another West Texas school (Iraan) lost a cheerleader sponsor in a bus wreck following a playoff game. A number of the cheerleaders were injured. The next playoff game brought out well over several hundred cheerleaders from surrounding towns to cheer for the Iraan football team.

Pharm Frog

The Andrews vs Springtown game just kicked off at 2:00 in Sweetwater after being postponed. The Sweetwater band is playing in place of the Andrews band. A similar classy act took place not many years ago when another West Texas school (Iraan) lost a cheerleader sponsor in a bus wreck following a playoff game. A number of the cheerleaders were injured. The next playoff game brought out well over several hundred cheerleaders from surrounding towns to cheer for the Iraan football team.
Several other bands in the area offered to come out and play for Andrews as well.

NewFrogFan

Now you lived in San Angelo….Concho Valley. Most of what’s been discussed on here has been South Plains and Permian Basin….not the Panhandle. Some folks out there take their labels pretty seriously. learned that the hard way when I lived out there.
Lived on Woodland Circle and went to 8/9th grade at John Glenn Jr High in SA while my dad did a year in Vietnam flying HH43.

Outback Frog

Lived on Woodland Circle and went to 8/9th grade at John Glenn Jr High in SA while my dad did a year in Vietnam flying HH43.
That's another interesting aspect about West Texas. At one time you also had air force bases in Lubbock (Reese AFB) and Big Spring (Webb AFB) along with the current ones in San Angelo and Abilene.

westoverhillbilly

Old adage- the only place in the world that seems bigger than Texas is.... West Texas... I used to have clients from the East Coast meet me in different parts of west Texas and they initially thought they were in the Twilight Zone. However, when they realized how wonderful and straight shooting the people were (compared to their home), they all became endeared to the area..

Pharm Frog

Old adage- the only place in the world that seems bigger than Texas is.... West Texas... I used to have clients from the East Coast meet me in different parts of west Texas and they initially thought they were in the Twilight Zone. However, when they realized how wonderful and straight shooting the people were (compared to their home), they all became endeared to the area..

Yep…I used to hold most of my meetings in West Texas or similarly inconvenient places for those traveling in. That way the folks from corporate in NJ/NY/Paris would take a path of lesser resistance and go to someone else’s meeting.

I was more than glad to accommodate them though… “Well you fly into DFW and then catch a connecting flight to Midland and you’re about a 3 hour ride into Marfa. Or…you can get a connector into El Paso and you’re only two hours and 45 minutes away. See…you have options.”

More recently I did a small meeting in Lawn. Told one of the brand managers from NJ who asked to attend…”Sure…love to have you. Fly into DFW and either get a connection into Abilene or you can drive it. Google says just under three hours but you can probably do it two and a half if you time it right into DFW and miss the traffic. Go south from Abilene past the turn off to Buffalo Gap and you’re almost there.” Decided he wanted to Zoom in instead. Told him that Internet was not very reliable out there but we’d catch him next time.

NewFrogFan

That's another interesting aspect about West Texas. At one time you also had air force bases in Lubbock (Reese AFB) and Big Spring (Webb AFB) along with the current ones in San Angelo and Abilene.
Webb been gone a long time. My dad was HH43 DETCO there b4 retiring in 1971. He went to Reese for UPT, met my mom there, I also went to Reese, now closed and 305 Harmon Drive is a concrete slab.