• The KillerFrogs

Official Coaching Search Thread….

BKSledge

That's a rather dubious honor, don't you think?

"Westlake has scored in every game since, a streak that has lasted 42 years and nearly 11 months. That's 561 games in a row, according to Chris Doelle of Friday Night Legends."

Just so happens that my HS and College share long scoring streaks. It's pretty cool.

gofor2

Are there all of the sudden a lower number of good football coaches right now than there were last year?
There is definitely an ebb and flow when it comes to talent pool and what is available. So yes, we could very well be looking at at shallow candidate pool this year, made even less attractive by the sheer number of vacancies due to firings.

tcuyoda

History speaks again--take the safe route and lose. So, Dykes gets hired and what do we get? A nice safe choice, and it only works if Riley comes with him. In the 30 year perriod from Abe Martin retiring to hiring Gary, the 8 coaches were all safe. You could argue Pittman and Wacker were on the edge, but Gary was the one true gamble. He prevailed because the big cigars pushed it over the AD. Sullivan got in because the AD liked his speaking ability. I'm sorry, but we have crap history for coach selecttion. How can freaking Baylor get two straight homeruns? I know hiring a coach is a crapshoot, but our history and where we are is what makes this one so critical.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
How can freaking Baylor get two straight homeruns? I know hiring a coach is a crapshoot, but our history and where we are is what makes this one so critical.
We have had one guy for 21 years. Baylor has had six coaching hires since 1999, and three of those include Kevin Steele, Guy Morriss and Jim Grobe, and before that Dave Roberts, so their track record is not all that great.

Realtorfrog

Wait…hiring Baylor’s WR coach with very little college experience is a touchdown hire?
Their fan base is pumped and all are behind this hire, lots of excitement throughout the S Plains. And we are projected to get an okay but not flashy older coach with a divided fan base.

Which one sounds better to you??

Wexahu

We have had one guy for 21 years. Baylor has had six coaching hires since 1999, and three of those include Kevin Steele, Guy Morriss and Jim Grobe, and before that Dave Roberts, so their track record is not all that great.
The facilities for the Steele, Morriss and Roberts were dogcrap. They were almost the Vanderbilt/Kansas of the B12 in those days. We may make fun of their toilet bowl looking stadium but that's a far different program now.

Wexahu

Their fan base is pumped and all are behind this hire, lots of excitement throughout the S Plains. And we are projected to get an okay but not flashy older coach with a divided fan base.

Which one sounds better to you??
The coach that wins the most.

For the millionth time.......hype, buzz, excitement is overrated. Come next October the only thing that is going to generate any of those three is results on the field.

Besides, what if a week after it's announced that SD is our coach a 5-star stud QB announces he's coming to Ft Worth. Not saying it's going to happen but if it did, the feelings around Dykes would instantly change for a large portion of our fan base. And it wouldn't really mean all the much because, again, come next fall all that's gonna matter is wins/losses and performance on the field.

gofor2

I agree, we were blessed with stability. Probably a combination of GP being a good coach, playing in the MWC and CUSA helped his tenure. Timing as well, seems like coaches with his 'style' have fallen out of favor over the last 6-7 years.

Baylor had a coach that lasted 21 years and after he retired they sucked for 16-17 years. As far as I know they didn't force him out. 2 really bad hires and their program went into the abyss.
Hopefully our treatment of GP doesn't create some kind of bad karma

Last edited:

gofor2

Their fan base is pumped and all are behind this hire, lots of excitement throughout the S Plains.
Not sure why they would be pumped.

An unrelated statement- I thought Tech pulled the trigger a bit fast. Wells basically coached 1 full season, then two half seasons. Last year was a shortened covid season, he got 1/2 season this year, then fired. He actually improved by 1 game this year vs last.

Not sure what they are expecting out there - aside from Leach they don't have a history of winning. They are bound to be wallow in mediocrity if they are going to can guys so quickly.

TRF51

TRF51, there is no "agenda" from me.
My post encourages improved communication by TCU, to get ahead of and better manage the message.

We just tossed our legendary coach, and now message boards are claiming the next TCU coach is Sonny Dykes.
Is that effective change management by TCU?

Why did we toss LHCGMFP instead of working with him to make the needed changes?
How many candidates were interviewed?
What are some of the difficulties involved in selecting a new coach?
What are other facts and factors that can be publicly shared, to help people better understand and accept the change?

What is the status today of our coaching search?
If the contract has been signed, why not pull the bandaid and make the announcement?
Every moment that this "deal is done with no public announcement" allows twitter, Facebook, etc... to control the message.

Don't shoot the messenger, make the needed adjustments to improve the outcome for TCU.

I think we interviewed 5 candidates that I know about. We tossed our legendary coach because he was 7-22 against other current big 12 coaches and we would have worked with him but he was not going to let any of his coaches go. He held on this long for them, IMO. He has had enough money to do whatever he wants for a long time now.

I think they don't want to come out and tip their hands on way or another with regards to the interviews and who they really liked and why they liked them because they are negotiating with probably more than one of them. They are not going to come out and say we offered so and so this much money and Dykes a little less but they said no and are waiting to explore other options. They did say, through the media, who they interviewed and who is a strong candidate and who is not at this time.

They probably and shouldn't concern themselves with what we say on these message boards. Those who need to know, know.

Even after this is over it does not benefit anyone to go into who they offered and how much they offered and the reason they turned us down, it does not help anyone.