• The KillerFrogs

Official Coaching Search Thread….

Wexahu

I have no doubt no one in college football a) wants the job and b) will be as happy as the HC at TCU as Sonny Dykes - so if that was our criteria, he is the perfect hire.

The question now will be 1.how long until we feel the same about him - and 2. how long does that feeling last.

In this crowd - 1. too long and 2. not long enough
Who said that was the criteria? I just said it could have, and probably should have been, a factor.

We'll want him here as long as he's winning. Who determines how much winning is enough? Well, that probably depends on how much you like the guy (or how much you like the AD I suppose).

Wexahu

Different people are different. The USF guy was definitely not an OC over Tony, might’ve been given a fake Co-OC title.

Morris was open about Elliott being key to his success

It’s like saying all managers at XOM are the greatest because of their employer brand. Obviously not, interview them and figure it out.
Well, I guess then Elliott should get a good job and be successful. We'll see. I'll be paying attention.

He better be careful about where he goes though, because if he goes somewhere like a Duke, Georgia Tech or South Carolina and doesn't start winning big he's gonna be labeled a below-average, mediocre coach.

gofor2

there are a number of top Coordinators that were never really considered because our first criteria was HC experience
If that is the case, that seems like a poor plan. I haven't hired coaches, but I have done a lot of hiring in my life - why limit potentially good candidates? The first criteria shouldn't necessarily be HC experience, especially in a year where the pool of coaches appears to be shallow. I would think you target both HC and Coordinators to get a feel for who would be the best fit. You bring guys in, interview, get a feel for how they would attack the job, what their plan is and see if that aligns with your plan(s).

Last edited:

Wexahu

If that is the case, that seems like a poor plan. I haven't hired coaches, but I have done a lot of hiring in my life - why limit potentially good candidates? The first criteria shouldn't necessarily be HC experience, especially in a year where the pool of coaches appears to be shallow. I would think you target both HC and Coordinators to get a feel for who would be the best fit. You bring guys in, interview, get a feel for how they would attack the job, what their plan is and see if that aligns with your plan(s) and what you are trying to do at a school.
We interviewed Tony Elliott and also were trying to get some traction with Kellen Moore. No interest on the latter, who knows how much interest on the former.

Is it more important what you say or what you do?

westoverhillbilly

I agree with earlier posters that Sonny's ability to get very good quarterbacks is of the highest importance. Had TCU had solid qb play over the last 6 years, Gary would be in great shape here. UT has also been in a quarterback funk for over a decade and have lost 3 coaches as a result and have sucked when compared to their potential. I think Sonny can also keep our Louisiana recruiting pipeline alive from his time at LA Tech. Godspeed that he can make the right hires on the defensive side of the ball- that is my biggest concern with him.

Limey Frog

We'll never know if Tony Eliot would have done better, even if he eventually goes elsewhere and wins--he still might not have worked out here. Hiring a coach is a crapshoot. We're doing it now because all hope of a return to winning ways with the one guy we all wanted was finally extinguished. Anyone still believing after this season is delusional. Now we:

a) have to take our chances
b) cannot afford in a dangerously unstable landscape to get any worse

Given these two, the logic for Dykes seems clear to me. He wasn't my first choice, but he seems like a solid double. Given his local ties and his success at SMU I'll be shocked if we keep turning in 6-win campaigns. If Dykes can get us to a stable 9-3/10-2 status in the new Big XII that might be enough should the Pac 12 decide to expand into Texas at its next TV rights window.

Wexahu

I hope this doesn't come back to bite us
There are good candidates. It's just that nobody knows who they are.

Are there all of the sudden a lower number of good football coaches right now than there were last year? A year in which a whole bunch of good jobs open up and where there a bunch of good candidates just means a bunch of yesterday's good candidates weren't really that.