• The KillerFrogs

Prayers for the Andrews, Texas Community

Chongo94

Being a native of West Texas, the trip from Andrews to Sweetwater is actually a routine distance for games out west (playoff or district game). Andrews has a lot of oil money, and like many districts out that way, they have their own charter buses. I was born and raised in Big Spring where the accident occurred, and the band buses from Andrews had just gotten on to I-20 heading east less than a mile or so before it happened. Just tragic!
That whole area where the highways meet in Big Spring has always been pretty bad in my opinion. Kept my head on a swivel and eyes on all mirrors every time I had to drive through it all.

Outback Frog

That whole area where the highways meet in Big Spring has always been pretty bad in my opinion. Kept my head on a swivel and eyes on all mirrors every time I had to drive through it all.
You got that right. Big Spring is a junction to four highways, which is a lot for a town of nearly 30,000. The person that hit the bus was going the wrong way, which could happen if not paying close attention, even in broad daylight. He was from Midland and you would think he would be familiar with the on ramps and exit ramps around the town off of I-20.

Paint It Purple

Being a native of West Texas, the trip from Andrews to Sweetwater is actually a routine distance for games out west (playoff or district game). Andrews has a lot of oil money, and like many districts out that way, they have their own charter buses. I was born and raised in Big Spring where the accident occurred, and the band buses from Andrews had just gotten on to I-20 heading east less than a mile or so before it happened. Just tragic!
Many a late-late night bus ride from Abilene to OdessaMidland, Lubbock, Hobbs,Amarillo,SanAngelo,WF, and Big Spring. Friday football was fun, Tuesday night basketball games were brutal.

Pharm Frog

Many a late-late night bus ride from Abilene to OdessaMidland, Lubbock, Hobbs,Amarillo,SanAngelo,WF, and Big Spring. Friday football was fun, Tuesday night basketball games were brutal.

Not in Texas but the worst I personally experienced was when Guymon, OK was in my son's district. He went to school at Edmond Deer Creek. Gosh awful brutal trip for games that were usually decided by mercy rule after 5. By agreement (and because as bad as it was for other schools it was amazingly worse for Guymon), you'd play a DH in Guymon and count one as your home game. Drove out there one year and it took less than three hours to play both games.

Outback Frog

I don’t believe this is correct. Mark was in administration, primarily involved in IT. Good man. I dealt with him quite a bit when I was on the School Board during the early to mid 2000s.
Stand corrected. Was getting my information from a news source that obviously didn't know the facts. Thanks.

TxFrog1999

The Man Behind The Curtain
F-350 pick up traveling the wrong way on the highway caused the accident. Horrible news. Prayers for everyone involved.

My kids got back from a playoff game in Abilene late Friday night and this sort of thing is always in the back of my mind.

FrogAbroad

I haven't driven the area in a long, long time. Yet, I remember the zaniness of the interchanges back then in the mid-90's.
I drove through that very section of 20 twice just a few weeks ago, the first time at "Miller time" on a Friday. Traffic was heavy, at the speed limit and above, lots of commercial vehicles. Not a low-stress part of the drive by any means. I can understand and sympathize with a driver's confusion with on- and off-ramps.

Pharm Frog

I drove through that very section of 20 twice just a few weeks ago, the first time at "Miller time" on a Friday. Traffic was heavy, at the speed limit and above, lots of commercial vehicles. Not a low-stress part of the drive by any means. I can understand and sympathize with a driver's confusion with on- and off-ramps.
Last week I did a round trip to Little Rock from Granbury. You mention commercial vehicles….I’ve never seen so many in my lifetime. All I’m hearing about is supply chain and logistics issues so I have to assume 50% or more of them were empty. That said, just before the arrival of COVID I was out on 20 trying to get back to Granbury from Odessa. I was in a constant state of anxiety with the commercial traffic all the way to C City.

Pharm Frog

Dang, how many of y’all are out living in the nether regions of the Texas panhandle, wow.
Now you lived in San Angelo….Concho Valley. Most of what’s been discussed on here has been South Plains and Permian Basin….not the Panhandle. Some folks out there take their labels pretty seriously. learned that the hard way when I lived out there.

Chongo94

Now you lived in San Angelo….Concho Valley. Most of what’s been discussed on here has been South Plains and Permian Basin….not the Panhandle. Some folks out there take their labels pretty seriously. learned that the hard way when I lived out there.
Haha true, but once you got north of Sterling City, it all became the same to me. I did do a lot of stomping around Big Lake, Ozona, and Eldorado.

Totally get the labels though, got me into trouble when I first moved up to DFW.

Outback Frog

Now that we have brought up the geographical differences of West Texas (it does vary significantly), one of the more interesting aspects about the region is how many of the ranches from the panhandle all the way down to the mountains of the Big Bend area, have TCU connections. Amazing how many parents that own those ranches send their kids to TCU over the years. Of course the Ranch Management Program at TCU has a lot to do with that, but many kids major in other fields as well.

Last edited: