• The KillerFrogs

Official Coaching Search Thread….

LisaLT

I don’t think many are. He may turn out to be just what we need but I bet a general perception for many is that this is a hire that will land with a “thud.”
I agree that this is not the sexy hire most wanted, but sadly beggars cannot be choosers. And by that I am not saying no one wanted the job but Dykes, but I do think with the several openings that do exist, the top candidates are holding out for those.

I truly hope Dykes surprises us and ushers in a new fresh approach to coaching, recruiting, etc. That will be the key to his success or failure here. Our program at present generates very little excitement out there - Dykes is going to need to change the narrative, and quickly.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I work with a Florida guy who is deep into that program. He says Mullen takes “stars” with no real method to how they fit together, what the team needs are, or if they’re actually any good. It’s his single biggest complaint. UT has done that for years FWIW.
Now that is a valid criticism. It could be said that we've had this difficulty as well, what with highly starsied recruits that turn out to be busts...

It's like nobody knows how to evaluate talent anymore, and just rely on the imbeciles that run recruiting magazines or websites...

Eight

I was thinking the same thing. Another idea would be to have Jerry Kill stay on for another year and put ourselves in the position to really cherry pick the perfect candidate. This seems realistic since he’s got a decent track record and has gotten his health issues under better control.

why the scheiss would anyone postpone making a decision, encourage your roster to transfer out, and salt the earth for your recruiting

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I agree that this is not the sexy hire most wanted, but sadly beggars cannot be choosers. And by that I am not saying no one wanted the job but Dykes, but I do think with the several openings that do exist, the top candidates are holding out for those.

I truly hope Dykes surprises us and ushers in a new fresh approach to coaching, recruiting, etc. That will be the key to his success or failure here. Our program at present generates very little excitement out there - Dykes is going to need to change the narrative, and quickly.
giphy.gif

TRF51

Will Muschamp had arguably better classes but Mullen is really no different from McElwain...

You could argue that Patterson never got the QB position right. Do you think any of the current candidates can nail that position for TCU?

I think Dykes would do well with skilled players. He runs a good offensive system that a lot of good players would want to play in. Defense can’t get any worse than it was this year.