• The KillerFrogs

Official Coaching Search Thread….

Moose Stuff

Yes - and I know it is a copout but I would not do that - they are all good people doing what they see as best. But with the exception of one prominent name, they all have exactly the same POV on this search. It was obvious at the Baylor game and even more so on Saturday from the discussions that occurred - like a stacked jury with group think. It is also apparent in who the search firm assigned to lead our effort and the lack of external perspectives involved in the discussions at this point.

All of that is why I - like many around but not involved the discussion - think this was all preordained to where we are ending up.
Beyond you simply disagreeing with it can you tell me what’s so terrible about any of this? I mean we’re at the point now where the major complaint people seem to have is that our search committee targeted one guy early on, pursued him, and got him. That’s ideally how you want it to work. If they had done the exact thing but instead targeted and hired Luke Fickell would anyone be complaining about the “process”???

Last edited:

tallfrogfan

Interesting thoughts, but I'm curious- is there data out there that coordinator hires have more success than head coaches? Or at least more likely to have game changer success? I can think of examples of success (and failure) for all sorts.
Good question. Based on the high demand and small available talent pool right now I hope the search committee will expand their parameters to include coordinators AND HC from small programs. Stanford hired Jim Harbaugh, who quickly brought their program back to life and energized the fan base and recruiting. He had been a very successful HC at San Diego University, a small private Catholic school. I know there are exciting, inspiring, gifted young coaches out there. Let’s take a leap of faith with a lot of upside potential rather than a safe uninspiring choice.

fanatical frog

Good question. Based on the high demand and small available talent pool right now I hope the search committee will expand their parameters to include coordinators AND HC from small programs. Stanford hired Jim Harbaugh, who quickly brought their program back to life and energized the fan base and recruiting. He had been a very successful HC at San Diego University, a small private Catholic school. I know there are exciting, inspiring, gifted young coaches out there. Let’s take a leap of faith with a lot of upside potential rather than a safe uninspiring choice.
I hope the search committee will agree. I do for certain.

Moose Stuff

We’ve already made our choice. There is no expanding of parameters.

flyfishingfrog

Beyond you simply disagreeing with it can you tell me what’s so terrible about any of this? I mean we’re at the point now where the major complaint people seem to have is that our search committee targeted one guy early on, pursued him, and got him. That’s ideally how you want it to work. If they had done the exact thing but instead targeted and hired Luke Fickell would anyone be complaining about the “process”???
Because Dykes is not the answer if you really think firing GP was necessary

He is Gary on the other side of the ball and wasn’t the target because he is the best we could do - he was the target because he was the easy button answer

One Frog Nation

Subject: Home Run Hires
Why didn't the search team go after Urban Meyer or Saban? Kellum Moore? why talk to him, why not Mike McCarthy. I wonder if Jimmy Johnson would be interested, he just sits around and talks nowsdays? Deion Sanders, heck I bet we could get Tom Brady to quit whatever he is doing today. There are pobably a few others just sitting at home waiting for TCU to call. Those are home runs, the rest are singles and doubles or worse yet a strikeout.
Let the process play out. I have no more of an idea that 99% of the others on this board of exactly what has happened or what coaches have said. Throwing up crazy names is, well Baylorish.

Moose Stuff

Because Dykes is not the answer if you really think firing GP was necessary

He is Gary on the other side of the ball and wasn’t the target because he is the best we could do - he was the target because he was the easy button answer
Firing Gary was 100000000% necessary and the answer to some degree was “anyone other than Gary”. He was absolutely running our program into the ground. You wanted to take a risk on a potential home run hire which is perfectly fine, while the committee and several people on here preferred a safer/higher floor option. Given the available list of potential coaches I’m entirely fine with Sonny Dykes. In my opinion he’s at worst a bridge type guy that’s gonna give you 7-5 type years before you bring in the guy that takes you back where you want to go (and perhaps you get a little lucky and he’s much more than that). If he ends up being a 5-7/6-6 guy every year then you just replace him and who really cares because that’s what we were already doing. Not like we’re trying to replace Rose Bowl Gary here. That guy ceased to exist.

Tshirt Fan

The TCU coaching search is painful. This hurts man. I can't take another six months of this.

David-Clark-Headsets-in-The-Waterboy-1-800x500.jpg

froglash88

College football insider: 'Not enough really good candidates right now' to fill top coaching vacancies.​

Bruce Feldman believes top programs with head coach vacancies have perhaps chosen a poor time to part ways with their previous leaders,
Exactly what I said and have felt since Halloween. Great job getting rid of the legend that put everything he had into this program with no real vision as to what may be available. Hopefully, just hopefully, they have an silent agreement with someone, my preference is Napier, so this doesn’t turn into an even bigger disaster.

I’ll hang up and listen to the experts who never participated in college athletics and/or never coached a sport at the high school or college level.

flyfishingfrog

Firing Gary was 100000000% necessary and the answer to some degree was “anyone other than Gary”. He was absolutely running our program into the ground. You wanted to take a risk on a potential home run hire which is perfectly fine, while the committee and several people on here preferred a safer/higher floor option. Given the available list of potential coaches I’m entirely fine with Sonny Dykes. In my opinion he’s at worst a bridge type guy that’s gonna give you 7-5 type years before you bring in the guy that takes you back where you want to go (and perhaps you get a little lucky and he’s much more than that). If he ends up being a 5-7/6-6 guy every year then you just replace him and who really cares because that’s what we were already doing. Not like we’re trying to replace Rose Bowl Gary here. That guy ceased to exist.
Let me know how you feel when we are on coach #5 and they have all been 4-8 to 7-5 guys at best - the coaching carousel gets harder to get off with each bad hire

Moose Stuff

Exactly what I said and have felt since Halloween. Great job getting rid of the legend that put everything he had into this program with no real vision as to what may be available. Hopefully, just hopefully, they have an silent agreement with someone, my preference is Napier, so this doesn’t turn into an even bigger disaster.

I’ll hang up and listen to the experts who never participated in college athletics and/or never coached a sport at the high school or college level.
The “legend” version of Gary no longer existed. Keeping him was not an option. We aren’t hiring Napier.

Moose Stuff

Let me know how you feel when we are on coach #5 and they have all been 4-8 to 7-5 guys at best - the coaching carousel gets harder to get off with each bad hire
The irony of this comment is the way you wanted to go has a much greater chance of this result than mine, especially considering the available candidates. You don’t care for hiring Sonny. I’m OK with it. The end.

CountryFrog

so back to the fact that we have an unqualified and poorly lead search committee....

They have ignored advice they were given by people external to TCU that actually have experience hiring coaches and the realities of schools like Baylor - that going Coordinator gives you a better shot at a game changer. It might end up in disaster but going full HC only is focusing on risk reduction but ensuring mediocrity.

Existing HC was the safe way to go and hiring Dykes is truly the safest we could have done since we have zero internal candidates and he is basically the coaching version of a baseball player we sent to play JUCO for a year to get his grades up....
Bravo to this. Finally someone who recognizes that the only way to succeed in college football is to bring in a head coach who has never been a head coach before. Hiring someone with experience doing the job seals this program in eternal mediocrity.

Furthermore, we can all 100% buy into everything you say on this matter because we know you're coming from a place of total objectivity. You've never voiced any type of personal resentment or angst toward ADJD or anyone else in the TCU leadership. You're a trusted source of impartial news and we need more of that around here.