• The KillerFrogs

Official Coaching Search Thread….

Moose Stuff

And I’m sure it will be less then 5 posts before someone says “let’s hire THIS guy” or “what about THAT guy”…. but it’s time to come to terms with the fact that our next HC is Sonny Dykes. Every connected poster on two different boards is reporting it as being done in every possible way but the actual announcement. Again…. OUR NEXT HC IS GOING TO BE SONNY DYKES.

MadFrog

If you ignore the top assistants out there (A&M, Clemson, Ohio State, Alabama, etc,), then the choices are terrible. Look at what Baylor found in the assistant ranks. Sonny Dykes is not the answer. He will be fired in 2 wasted years. We need to drop our head coaching experience filter and pick someone who really wants the job. Someone like Gary was when we hired him.

Moose Stuff

If you ignore the top assistants out there (A&M, Clemson, Ohio State, Alabama, etc,), then the choices are terrible. Look at what Baylor found in the assistant ranks. Sonny Dykes is not the answer. He will be fired in 2 wasted years. We need to drop our head coaching experience filter and pick someone who really wants the job. Someone like Gary was when we hired him.
Zero percent chance we fire Sonny Dykes two years from now unless it’s for something not related to football. Literally ZERO.

tcuball3

Ticket Exchange Pass
If you think we are bad, go to the Texas boards. They want Sark gone now. CDC & Co. too smart and know softly softly catchee monkey.
Was just about to say the same, we’ve got to be patient unlike Texas who goes for the big splash hire every time. Dykes and that staff will have a lot better first year than Texas it’s safe to say. Bet we win 8 games minimum next year with a much higher ceiling.

Not worth it, we’ve (almost) got one of our top choices in the house… doesn’t pay dividends to do any of that. I’m sure he will be a HC somewhere eventually. Maybe Clemson in a few years?
Dabo is settling in with NIL and may stay a long time. Since Tony Elliott showed willingness to come to TCU this year, he might now take the Virginia Tech job if offered?

Last edited:

Moose Stuff

Was just about to say the same, we’ve got to be patient unlike Texas who goes for the big splash hire every time. Dykes and that staff will have a lot better first year than Texas it’s safe to say. Bet we win 8 games minimum next year with a much higher ceiling.
We have a chance to be a solid team next year, but it all basically hinges on one thing IMO…. Keeping Malcolm Kelly. I assume Sonny wants to retain him but what I don’t know is if Malcolm wants to stay. If he doesn’t stay I can rattle off at least one important player that’s almost certainly gone and 2-3 others that might not be far behind. The players currently on this roster that could still be here next year will score a ton of points in 2022 IF they all stay.

jack the frog

Honest question man…. WHO should we be hiring instead? The article just posted beat me to it but it’s a just a brutal year to be hiring a new HC (bad list of available candidates). We made a run at arguably the hottest young and upcoming HC out there and he listened, just didn’t work out. In the grand scheme of everything else that’s realistically available we’re coming out of this in pretty decent shape with Sonny. I mean hell, last year the University of Texas hired a coordinator who was previously a mediocre HC and might have a drinking problem. I’ll take Sonny.
As a side, anyone that loves TCU is not surprised that this would be the most competitive situation for head coaches in many years. Nothing ever seems to come easy for us. It’s just how we roll.
You didnt ask me, and count me in the underwhelmed with Sonny club, but if your criteria remains candidates with head coaching experience plus NIL competency I’m not sure where else you could have realistically turned if Napier, et al have turned us down. The next best greatest coach ever is a coordinator or position coach out there right now but I don’t know how anyone could be expected to figure that out in 3 weeks.

CountryFrog

Since Tony Elliott showed willingness to come to TCU this year, he might now take the Virginia Tech job if offered?
I'm glad you're finally getting on board with Tony Elliott. Please keep us informed of any further developments on that front. Or for that matter even if there aren't any developments just let us know what he's up to.

Prince of Purpoole II

Reigning Smartarse
And I’m sure it will be less then 5 posts before someone says “let’s hire THIS guy” or “what about THAT guy”…. but it’s time to come to terms with the fact that our next HC is Sonny Dykes. Every connected poster on two different boards is reporting it as being done in every possible way but the actual announcement. Again…. OUR NEXT HC IS GOING TO BE SONNY DYKES.
Yes

Sangria Wine

What’s happening is predictable. We pushed the issue and proactively fired GP to be sure we didn’t lose out of the “Sonny Dykes Sweepstakes” and yet there apparently was no Sonny Dykes Sweepstakes after all. Now we stand here with our program creating Coach gone, no particularly amazing candidate, realization that we aren’t pulling a major hire because coaches aren’t clamoring to come here or frankly to go anywhere else when the prior coach is getting shown the door in a way that others in the coaching profession might have felt was short sighted or unfair. You’re seeing the results all over the country. Texas, LSU, etc all have had issue hiring away a proven head coach, so they largely end up taking the route of hiring a great coordinator and hoping like hell he is the next great head coach…but usually they are not. So you rinse, wash and repeat. All while paying a couple of coaches who you fired with gears left on their contract along with whatever most recent hire the university has made. This is normal around the country among programs trying to win in big time college football. Welcome to the new normal at TCU, just like at most programs. Perhaps we didn’t realize this is what it was going to look like when pushing GP out but this is what it was going to look like no matter what. That’s not JD or VB’s fault…it is what it is. Signing up for this when the option was pushing GP outside his comfort zone and throwing some major cash at coordinators…that’s the option I would have chosen. Tell me you can’t convince GP and he thought he was bulletproof and untouchable…I call BS. Leadership leads.

flyfishingfrog

so back to the fact that we have an unqualified and poorly lead search committee....

They have ignored advice they were given by people external to TCU that actually have experience hiring coaches and the realities of schools like Baylor - that going Coordinator gives you a better shot at a game changer. It might end up in disaster but going full HC only is focusing on risk reduction but ensuring mediocrity.

Existing HC was the safe way to go and hiring Dykes is truly the safest we could have done since we have zero internal candidates and he is basically the coaching version of a baseball player we sent to play JUCO for a year to get his grades up....