• The KillerFrogs

2023-2024 European Football Thread

Moose Stuff

Another I found on the Reddits:

Yup. The most awesome part of that statement is... it’s true. The MNT aspiring to be the France national side was a pipe dream when I started really following footy closely during and after the 1998 World Cup. Not anymore.

We’re damn dangerous now but assuming good health and normal progression we go into the 2026 Cup as a host and a top 5 team on the planet with a legitimate chance to win it. I firmly believe that. Just picture a sold out Rose Bowl for a USA vs Italy/France/Germany final. Good god.

dawg

We’re damn dangerous now but assuming good health and normal progression we go into the 2026 Cup as a host and a top 5 team on the planet with a legitimate chance to win it. I firmly believe that. Just picture a sold out Rose Bowl for a USA vs Italy/France/Germany final. Good god.
“So let it be written; so let it be done.”

Chongo94

This is key. It’s the health that worries me but given how things are going, we may have players that would be more than capable of replacing our usual suspects when it comes to injuries.

Just nobody breathe on Pulisic, Reyna, or Adams the next 10-12 years ha.

Purp

This is key. It’s the health that worries me but given how things are going, we may have players that would be more than capable of replacing our usual suspects when it comes to injuries.

Maybe that's still true for Adams (I do like Acosta as his back-up, but he's more one dimensional), but the drop off from Pulisic/Reyna to Aaronson/Weah is getting smaller and smaller every game. Aside from the #9 were at least a legitimate 2 deep at every position on the pitch and the gap from 1 to 2 is very small. That's why I agree so much with Moose.

Moose Stuff

The meteoric emergence of Aronson has just been massive. Not sure where we are right now without him. And Berhalter should be set on fire the next time he doesn’t start Weah without a good reason.

Purp

The meteoric emergence of Aronson has just been massive. Not sure where we are right now without him. And Berhalter should be set on fire the next time he doesn’t start Weah without a good reason.
If Roldan or Arriola ever start ahead of Weah or Reyna Berhalter should be burned at the stake. And if Lletget ever starts ahead of Musah (and I'd add Busio) Berhalter should be doused with lighter fluid.

Purp

Thinking more on the potential for 2026... How big a kick to the nuts would it be to Mexico to win the WC before they do? I'm just imagining a future U.S. v Mexico game where McKennie scores another huge goal and runs past the Mexico bench pointing at the star on his shirt in celebration.

Moose Stuff

Watching Russia/Croatia…. Massive kudos to this announcer who isn’t in the stadium calling the game and has a camera angle that looks like it was mounted on a high rise across the street. I don’t know how he pronounces these names let alone NAILS every last one them and is able to immediately identify who has the ball. Players look like ants on my screen. Would be kinda funny if he’s actually just making it all up.

Purp

This worries me that Berhalter is thinking about a 5 man back line like he used in the GC. I gave him a lot of credit back then for changing his formation and tactics to suit his personnel and make them successful, but I don't think it's necessary right now. A 5 man back line means you reduce the forward/midfield numbers by 1. Just because McKennie is out doesn't mean you replace him with an extra center back. This game is tailor made for Busio to step in and step up. Also, without M Rob you don't have enough/the right center backs to run with 3 of them. I think you have to go with Zimm and Richards at this point. Leave everything else the same with Busio in for McKennie. I might also insert Pulisic for Aaronson if he can go 60 minutes.

Moose Stuff

This worries me that Berhalter is thinking about a 5 man back line like he used in the GC. I gave him a lot of credit back then for changing his formation and tactics to suit his personnel and make them successful, but I don't think it's necessary right now. A 5 man back line means you reduce the forward/midfield numbers by 1. Just because McKennie is out doesn't mean you replace him with an extra center back. This game is tailor made for Busio to step in and step up. Also, without M Rob you don't have enough/the right center backs to run with 3 of them. I think you have to go with Zimm and Richards at this point. Leave everything else the same with Busio in for McKennie. I might also insert Pulisic for Aaronson if he can go 60 minutes.
Agreed

Purp

Watched the game again. That red for MRob and that fiasco after the Aaronson eye poke that should have earned red have me pissed all over again.

But I also love how momentum shifted to Mexico for about 5 minutes after that (the way it always does after they get away with criminal behavior - it's why they do it), but these kids wrestled the momentum away quickly and blew the doors off those darners anyway. There are only a couple U.S. teams in the last 20 years who would have done that and they weren't this young.

I also love how the most talented players on this team all have unique roles. McKennie brings the toughness and swagger, Adams brings the maturity and steadiness, Pulisic brings the elite talent that's dangerous from everywhere, Aaronson bring the top work rate on the pitch, Musah brings the speed and strength on the ball with elite dribbling abilities, Weah brings elite speed, ARob brings elite speed, MRob clogs the middle in the back forcing the opposing attack wide, Dest and Yedlin and ARob bring elite speed and recovery abilities... All of these guys compliment each other so well. These attributes are all able to flourish and nobody has to take a back seat to anybody else bc another guy is better at his role.

This is a special group. And they're not done getting better as a group. Super stoked about this squad.

Purp

I have mixed emotions about this. I'm good with Turner in goal. I honestly think these guys should alternate as much as possible to keep them both sharp. The only distinction between them is that Steffen is better handling the ball with his feet so he should play against high pressing teams.

The back line is muddy for me. MRob has been enormous for this team all year so his absence opens up a lot of possibilities. I think the obvious replacement for him is Richards, but Jamaica brings a ton of team speed, especially up front. Should Zimmerman also start or should a faster McKenzie step in with Richards. And I also want to see Cannon start b/c I like him a lot and really think he's better than Yedlin (though current club form says otherwise). But is it wise to change 75% of the back line from one game to the next? I can go either way on that one.

Midfield absolutely has to be one switch bring in Busio for McKennie. Acosta should not start anywhere except for the #6 when Adams is unavailable. The last time he started was in a forward midfield position partnering with Lletget in front of Adams. It was a spectacular failure and Acosta was derided pretty heavily after that, but I think it was more Berhalter's fault for playing him out of position. He damn well better not do it again to Acosta.

If Pulisic is available to start I think it's only for 45 minutes. I don't think it matters much to me if Aaronson starts or Pulisic and they swap at half. Aarons has worked his tail off for club and country and I'd seriously like to get him a blow before he becomes our next injured forward. Weah and Pepi should be locks to start, but I'd be very intrigued by a Ferreira - Pepi tandem in the 2nd half running a 4-4-2. I'd sub the lesser of Busio/Musah off for Ferreira keeping Adams and Busio/Musah in the center of the park with Weah and Aaronson/Pulisic playing outside midfield.

If we have a lead I'd like to see Scally get a long shift at left back for ARob assuming Cannon starts at RB. I want to see Cannon get a full 90 minute shift.

Moose Stuff

Watched the game again. That red for MRob and that fiasco after the Aaronson eye poke that should have earned red have me pissed all over again.

But I also love how momentum shifted to Mexico for about 5 minutes after that (the way it always does after they get away with criminal behavior - it's why they do it), but these kids wrestled the momentum away quickly and blew the doors off those darners anyway. There are only a couple U.S. teams in the last 20 years who would have done that and they weren't this young.

I also love how the most talented players on this team all have unique roles. McKennie brings the toughness and swagger, Adams brings the maturity and steadiness, Pulisic brings the elite talent that's dangerous from everywhere, Aaronson bring the top work rate on the pitch, Musah brings the speed and strength on the ball with elite dribbling abilities, Weah brings elite speed, ARob brings elite speed, MRob clogs the middle in the back forcing the opposing attack wide, Dest and Yedlin and ARob bring elite speed and recovery abilities... All of these guys compliment each other so well. These attributes are all able to flourish and nobody has to take a back seat to anybody else bc another guy is better at his role.

This is a special group. And they're not done getting better as a group. Super stoked about this squad.
Best part about this…. You typed 4 paragraphs about how good we are without mentioning the guy that many people thought/think might be our best player, Reyna.

dawg

Thinking more on the potential for 2026... How big a kick to the nuts would it be to Mexico to win the WC before they do? I'm just imagining a future U.S. v Mexico game where McKennie scores another huge goal and runs past the Mexico bench pointing at the star on his shirt in celebration.
archer-sterling-archer.gif

Purp

Best part about this…. You typed 4 paragraphs about how good we are without mentioning the guy that many people thought/think might be our best player, Reyna.
I thought about adding him, but he's honestly behind Aaronson and Weah for me right now. I agree he has potential to be the best of all of them, but I don't think I've seen him consistently perform at a level higher than Aaronson and Weah are right now. He always shows flashes, but his game has a lot of maturing to do over the next couple years when he reaches the age of those guys. I'm confident he'll get there if he can stay healthy, but he's not there yet. That said, he's done more at Dortmund at a younger age than Pulisic did there. He clearly has a high bar already and enormous potential to improve in years to come.