• The KillerFrogs

TCU Men's Tennis 2021-2022

Jared7

The Paris draw has been announced and Norrie will be playing Federico Delbonis in the Round of 64 tomorrow - Cam is seeded 10th for this Masters 1000 tourney. DelBonis is a 31-year-old Argentine, with an ATP ranking of #41, and a CH of #33rd. Zverev won at Vienna.

Nick Chappell is into the qualies at the Charlottesville Challenger and he'll play Gianni Ross today - Ross is a Virginia Cavalier (probably why he got a wild card into the qualies) and is ranked #1446th.

By taking 3 weeks off, Alex Rybakov has fallen to 353 in the ATP rankings. Not sure if he's at Charlottesville.

Alastair Gray has moved up 557th. Not sure if he's playing this week either.

Jared7

Cam Norrie defeated Delbonis easily (2 and 1) today at Paris and has advanced to the Round of 32.

Nick Chappell won his qualie match yesterday at Charlottesville 2 and 4 over Ross and just beat Omni Kumar 6-3, 7-5 in the 2nd qualie round.

Jared7

Chappell is into the first round of the main draw at Charlottesville and will play Wu Tung-lin today at 2:20 p.m. (CDT).

In Paris, Hurkacz and Sinner both got first round byes, so they already earned as many ATP points as Cam did yesterday by beating Delbonis. Norrie's next opponent will be Reilly Opelka in the 2nd round (time and date TBD - probably tomorrow).

jake102

Hurkacz got a first round bye and will face Paul in the 2nd round. Tricky match. If he gets past Paul, he'll get FAA or Koepfer. Little bit of a win/win lose/lose there. Although FAA is pretty far behind Norrie, so definitely rooting for FAA.

Sinner also got a bye and will face the winner of Herbert and Alcaraz. Obviously Alcaraz is a very dangerous player, although he's currently down a set to Herbert. After that he will likely play Carreno Busta #12 seed. If Alcaraz gets upset, pretty soft draw for Sinner on these courts. Edit: Alcaraz won the 2nd set.

Opelka won his match this morning so Norrie faces him next. Unfortunately this is a super fast court, Opelka should be a decent favorite here. And if he gets past Opelka, will likely get Rublev.

Not loving the draw set-up for Norrie

jake102

The Paris draw has been announced and Norrie will be playing Federico Delbonis in the Round of 64 tomorrow - Cam is seeded 10th for this Masters 1000 tourney. DelBonis is a 31-year-old Argentine, with an ATP ranking of #41, and a CH of #33rd. Zverev won at Vienna.

Nick Chappell is into the qualies at the Charlottesville Challenger and he'll play Gianni Ross today - Ross is a Virginia Cavalier (probably why he got a wild card into the qualies) and is ranked #1446th.

By taking 3 weeks off, Alex Rybakov has fallen to 353 in the ATP rankings. Not sure if he's at Charlottesville.

Alastair Gray has moved up 557th. Not sure if he's playing this week either.

Very curious decision by Rybakov and Gray to stop playing tournaments... I wonder what's up.

Jared7

Very curious decision by Rybakov and Gray to stop playing tournaments... I wonder what's up.
I'm curious as well, but I have no clue as to what they're thinking. Rybo has been playing almost non-stop all year, so I'm guessing that he just wants a break and November-December is the normal "off-season" for pro players. But it could be nagging injuries or money problems. Gray, to me, is the most perplexing. He's totally new to the tour and I would have thought that he'd want to get in as many tourneys as possible - and he does have some monetary help from the British national tennis program. They'll both be back soon but I don't know when.

jake102

I'm curious as well, but I have no clue as to what they're thinking. Rybo has been playing almost non-stop all year, so I'm guessing that he just wants a break and November-December is the normal "off-season" for pro players. But it could be nagging injuries or money problems. Gray, to me, is the most perplexing. He's totally new to the tour and I would have thought that he'd want to get in as many tourneys as possible - and he does have some monetary help from the British national tennis program. They'll both be back soon but I don't know when.

Yeah Gray's decision is the one that confuses me. He was killing it and then just stops. Odd. Although Rybakov had been improving also.

Who knows.

jake102

While I felt our Tennis thread was gaining in relative popularity as the result of the football decline/lack of interest, there is now serious competition!

So this morning FAA got beat by Koepfer. Hurkacz was about to lose the 2nd set but somehow clawed back and he's battling with Paul in the 2nd set now (Hurkacz won the first set)

And Norrie is on court against Opelka on serve in the 1st. I'm watching and this is perhaps the crappiest court I've ever seen. Looks like they are playing in a dungeon with about 100 seats total. Can't believe this is a Masters 1000 tournament. And predictably, it's quite boring. Ace ace ace ace ace ace ace

Norrie breaks! And he wins the 1st set.

Last edited:

jake102

Norrie gets through some tricky at the end to win! Unfortunately Hurkacz also won... So no progress. Need Sinner to lose today.

Also - Fritz upset Rublev, so we get yet another Norrie Fritz match. Norrie won their last match easily, but typically the matches have been very close. This surface greatly favors Fritz (it SUPER favored Opelka though)

jake102

Maybe. I'm starting to think Norrie can break anyone at any time on any surface, and that the faster surfaces just makes it easier for Cam to hold.

Interesting perspective. Might very well be right. I do think Norrie is going to have a huge clay court season, but maybe the slow courts will just result in breaks of serve every game

Jared7

With the W over Opelka, Cam has now won 50 matches this year, which is 4th best (and more than #1 Djoker). And he just passed 100 career ATP W's a match or so ago, so almost half of his career W's have come this year. Beating Opelka is impressive because he's now the best servebot, passing Isner earlier this year in the rankings. In the Round of 16, Norrie and Fritz know each other's games quite well by now and either can win (although I think Cam should be favored). If Norrie can win, it'll likely be Djokovic in the quarters.

Sinner got an early break against Alcaraz, but it's now even on serve early.

Nick Chappell lost yesterday 4 and 3 to Wu so he's out at Charlottesville.

Last edited:

Jared7

Tsitsipas retired with an arm injury against Popyrin, so he's out at Paris. This is bad news for Norrie because Sinner wouldn't have to face Stefanos in his half of the draw - it'd only be good news if the injury also eliminates Tsitsipas from the Turin race and makes another spot open up there. It didn't look all that serious though and the crowd was booing what they thought was not necessary. Also in the injury news is that Djokovic just took a bad fall in his doubles match and his back looked badly hurt. If it lingers, he too could withdraw from Turin (not that we're rooting for that).

But it now means they'll show Alcaraz v. Sinner live on the Tennis Channel - Alcaraz is up a break 4-3 in the 1st.

Aguilar, Vives Marcos and Maxted will all be headed for San Diego this weekend for the ITA Nationals. It's the first time since 2015 (Norrie in singles; Norrie and Trevor Johnson in doubles) that TCU swept the ITA Texas Regionals.

Last edited: