• The KillerFrogs

just read our game thread on raider power forum

steelfrog

Tier 1
Yep, on the drive back from Lubbutt Saturday night we listened to the Tech radio station call in and the things they were saying are exactly the same (paid millions to win, not winning, feckless AD, etc) with the added and super odd wrinkle that to a person EVERY caller mentioned the firing of Leach in 2009 (which was STILL being litigated hotly as late as 2020--Leach was "cheated" out of millions by the firing). Some of them even want Tech to bring Leach back, as if that would even be possible. Several of them mentioned some sort of curse which the talk show host seemed to know what they are talking about.

Pharm Frog

Yep, on the drive back from Lubbutt Saturday night we listened to the Tech radio station call in and the things they were saying are exactly the same (paid millions to win, not winning, feckless AD, etc) with the added and super odd wrinkle that to a person EVERY caller mentioned the firing of Leach in 2009 (which was STILL being litigated hotly as late as 2020--Leach was "cheated" out of millions by the firing). Some of them even want Tech to bring Leach back, as if that would even be possible. Several of them mentioned some sort of curse which the talk show host seemed to know what they are talking about.

It's The Pirate Curse. Here's how it goes:

Once upon a time, we had a pirate who was captain of our pirate ship. He brought us riches and fame, but there were those who were jealous of his pirate ways. He was thrown overboard by some scalawags and the treasure he was promised was never bestowed upon him. At that time, the pirate cursed the ship to slowly sink.

Yeah, this is the story of Mike Leach, who was fired by Texas Tech University in 2009. A meme now going around claims that the curse of Texas Tech football can only be lifted by paying "the pirate" (i.e. Leach) what we owe him. So is there a curse? Is it karma? It's hard to find people who think that Texas Tech didn't screw Mike Leach over.

So it's on us, mateys If we want to lift this curse. The pirate himself does not care, as he has found new lands to conquer, and new fortunes to be had. Yet, his curse will remain until we do right by him.

steelfrog

Tier 1

It's The Pirate Curse. Here's how it goes:

Once upon a time, we had a pirate who was captain of our pirate ship. He brought us riches and fame, but there were those who were jealous of his pirate ways. He was thrown overboard by some scalawags and the treasure he was promised was never bestowed upon him. At that time, the pirate cursed the ship to slowly sink.

Yeah, this is the story of Mike Leach, who was fired by Texas Tech University in 2009. A meme now going around claims that the curse of Texas Tech football can only be lifted by paying "the pirate" (i.e. Leach) what we owe him. So is there a curse? Is it karma? It's hard to find people who think that Texas Tech didn't screw Mike Leach over.

So it's on us, mateys If we want to lift this curse. The pirate himself does not care, as he has found new lands to conquer, and new fortunes to be had. Yet, his curse will remain until we do right by him.
Right, people were saying "just pay Leach and let's get back to winning." And the host said that they are delusional and Tech is what it is and they should be happy with 8 wins a season.

Leach's 2008 team went 11-1 in the regular season and beat #1 UT but got curb stomped by 44 points against OU, then went on to lose to Ole Miss in the Cotton Bowl; still, many consider the 2008 team to be Tech's best ever, rivalled only by the '73 team.

steelfrog

Tier 1
Also, their fans are highly critical 0of the Tech AD Kirby SomethingOrOther, who is feckless, sucks, and doesn't do anything right except basketball and baseball which the fans say doesn't matter, OMLY FOOTBALL MATTERS! They say.

FrogCop19

Was it just me or did it seem like RG3 kept talking about Baylor while broadcasting the TCU Tech game? I get he was trying to interject his personal experiences but it got old and again maybe its just me.
Yes. For the most part I was surprisingly ok with them, but there were seriously about a dozen times that he said things like, "When *I* was at Baylor, we..." or some other such nonsense.