• The KillerFrogs

We are just going to have accept this defense is what it is

Eight

It's too complicated coming out of HS and it takes 3 years to get it down for the secondary but there are exceptions. It was ok in the past because players stayed for 4-5 years and GP just kinda moved them along. Of course everything has changed now.......except GP. You don't hear other Power 5 schools having this difficulty. Too much thinking because they are not sure or if they miss GP's signal, so they are hesitant because they don't want to come off the field and he's right in their face screaming at them and he's the one that needs to be screamed at. Our secondary and LB are passive, the worst since 2004.

somehow devonte' fields who was a complete knucklehead off the field could grasp the concept of see ball, run to ball, tackle ball carrier quite well in less than one year's time back in 2012

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Top, you lost me. Reveal.
Just saying if you are not a ranked P5 team you will have a clutch of fans large or small unhappy with the coach, staff, personnel, the band, game day experience, concessions, etc. You said "you don't hear" other P5 schools having difficulties, or a specific difficulty, but they are out there IMO.

4th. down

somehow devonte' fields who was a complete knucklehead off the field could grasp the concept of see ball, run to ball, tackle ball carrier quite well in less than one year's time back in 2012
My A&M and Texas friends have never mentioned their secondaries not being able to pick up the signals or understanding the process.

Here we have the same defensive coaching group which recruited these players. I don't get it. Not to single out Josh Foster but just using him as an example, not only for our secondary but LB also. Josh was a HS QB, and GP has historically liked his HS QB if they agreed to play defense, to QB the secondary from the safety position. He is ultra soft and will give an arm tackle or do a reach if he can get away with it showing he made an effort. This is sad, but here we are. If TT can put 550 yds. total offense on us, what can Riley do in Norman?

Last edited:

Wexahu

My A&M and Texas friends have never mentioned their secondaries not being able to pick up the signals or understanding the process.

Here we have the same defensive coaching group which recruited these players. I don't get it. Not to single out Josh Foster but just using him as an example, not only for our secondary but LB also. Josh was a HS QB, and GP has historically liked his HS QB if they agreed to play defense, to QB the secondary from the safety position. He is ultra soft and will give an arm tackle or do a reach if he can get away with it showing he made an effort. This is sad, but here we are. If TT can put 550 yds. total offense on us, what can Riley do in Norman?
I think you're right about #15. Plays with no aggressiveness or physicality whatsoever. This is the softest group of safeties we've had in forever, their body language suggests they don't really like being out there.

4th. down

I think you're right about #15. Plays with no aggressiveness or physicality whatsoever. This is the softest group of safeties we've had in forever, their body language suggests they don't really like being out there.
Absolutely totally agree but why is this the case? You are what your track record says you are and Gonzales has a very good track record, so what gives here?

Frogs1983

Wexahu

Absolutely totally agree but why is this the case? You are what your track record says you are and Gonzales has a very good track record, so what gives here?

Probably a collection of guys that don't quite have the fire that others have had. I think the defense needs some junkyard dogs that it just doesn't have. Name one guy on that side of the ball where you'd say that guy really brings some intensity and gets after it. Maybe Coleman?

Froggish

TCU is 45th in the country in RZ defense. So teams are running up and down the field on us but we are holding them to a decent amount of FGs. If that continues will be in most games in the 4th. Its sucks to be this bad defensively but I still think we'll improve. The question is can our offense continue to hold serve until the light comes on.

Don't lose sight of the fact that TT was held to 240yards and 10 Points until about the 7 minute mark of the 3rd Q. It was a 38-10 game before they scored again....

Frogenstein

Was he ever fun to watch. If you were an RB, you had no chance. Also what was the name of the player from California who hit the player near the goal line on kick off with such force, they picked his arms and legs up 10 feet from the hit. Never, since that hit, have I seen Gary so excited. He ran onto the field to congratulate the TCU kid from California and the crowd went wild. (the Cali player from TCU wasn't big but could he hit you) No kidding he hit that kid so hard, the ref's sent the ambulance to DeSoto to pick him up. It was along the same time when McDonald played. Now that I think more about it, it was a Baylor kid. My wife asked...is that boy still alive?!?. Jug you were around about that time weren't you.
Logo Tevaseu (had to look up how to spell his last name) he used to take out allmost the entire wedge alone on kickoffs, just ran full speed right through people.