• The KillerFrogs

Business Journals: There's mayhem right now in college sports' name-image-likeness business

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Business Journals: There's mayhem right now in college sports' name-image-likeness business
Screen Shot 2021-09-22 at 6.13.25 AM.png

By Michael Smith – Sports Business Journal

When Alabama’s Nick Saban publicly shared last month that his starting quarterback, Bryce Young, already had $1 million in endorsement income before he had played his first football game, the wily old coach was sending out a beacon to every recruit about how much money he potentially can make from name, image and likeness rights while playing for the Crimson Tide.

What the NCAA and many college leaders had hoped to avoid — players choosing a school based on income potential or being paid for their performance — is already happening just 11 weeks into the NIL era.

Read more at https://www.bizjournals.com/clevela...ayhem-right-now-in-college-sports-name-i.html

ECM

The scenario all 3 mentioned to me that will likely be where college sports and I start to part ways is the one where the big school that needs to plug a gap on their team ID’s a player at a smaller school and pays him as much as it takes to transfer.
This was always a very foreseeable consequence of NIL, and it will ruin the sport in the long run IMO. And a lot of the same folks that pushed NIL wouldn’t care one bit if college football went away forever.

Limey Frog

The scenario all 3 mentioned to me that will likely be where college sports and I start to part ways is the one where the big school that needs to plug a gap on their team ID’s a player at a smaller school and pays him as much as it takes to transfer.

Sooner rather than later the top 60-ish programs need to break away from the NCAA structure entirely, form a separate for-profit model for football and basketball, and just license the name/image rights of their programs from their parent universities. They need to arrange a revenue-sharing model that is roughly equitable, and a pay-for-play structure for players that is commensurate with the revenue their work generates. At that point they can also put rules in place to stop NIL-driven poaching because players could be under contract.

Basically college football is going pro, and it's not really ethical to stop it when players are generating millions by their play. The question is how will that be structured. If college football can find a way to ensure some degree of parity, the essence of the game can still be salvaged. If it can't, it's not looking good.

Moose Stuff

This was always a very foreseeable consequence of NIL, and it will ruin the sport in the long run IMO. And a lot of the same folks that pushed NIL wouldn’t care one bit if college football went away forever.

100% agree with you first observation.

Moose Stuff

Sooner rather than later the top 60-ish programs need to break away from the NCAA structure entirely, form a separate for-profit model for football and basketball, and just license the name/image rights of their programs from their parent universities. They need to arrange a revenue-sharing model that is roughly equitable, and a pay-for-play structure for players that is commensurate with the revenue their work generates. At that point they can also put rules in place to stop NIL-driven poaching because players could be under contract.

Basically college football is going pro, and it's not really ethical to stop it when players are generating millions by their play. The question is how will that be structured. If college football can find a way to ensure some degree of parity, the essence of the game can still be salvaged. If it can't, it's not looking good.
It will happen and it will be far smaller than a top 60. I’m thinking closer to a top 20-30.

LVH

What worries me is the eventual mid season transfer. A player quits on his team mid-season. I'm sure the rules don't allow a mid-season transfer to play in that same season but I could still see it happening if the pay day is large enough and the player doesn't want to get hurt before playing for the new team paying him

LVH

This is inevitable and the number of teams that would participate would be closer to 25 than 60.

The day this happens is the day I cease being a college sports fan. The thought of such a league makes me want to vomit.

I can only imagine now the smug that would come from Aggie and Longhorn fans because they would be a part of it. The smug would be returned when this super league fails miserably.

tcudoc

What worries me is the eventual mid season transfer. A player quits on his team mid-season. I'm sure the rules don't allow a mid-season transfer to play in that same season but I could still see it happening if the pay day is large enough and the player doesn't want to get hurt before playing for the new team paying him
I worry about the first quarter of the season transfer in much the same way the inventor of the “8 Minute Abs” video feared the inventor of the “7 Minute Abs” video.

LVH

I worry about the first quarter of the season transfer in much the same way the inventor of the “8 Minute Abs” video feared the inventor of the “7 Minute Abs” video.

Look at Boise state for example. 2 losses already NY6 hopes over. I could see big schools convincing the star players on that team that team season is lost and to come join us now so you can get a head start with us for next year. May not be able to play but they sure will be able to practice and work out

FrogCop19

I know you're not here to argue or fight, and this is not an attempt to do so, I promise. I just thought it was funny that the only school ever to get the death penalty for paying players is talking about how paying players will ruin the sport.

Back to your regular scheduled posting.

FrogAbroad

This is inevitable and the number of teams that would participate would be closer to 25 than 60.

The day this happens is the day I cease being a college sports fan. The thought of such a league makes me want to vomit.

I can only imagine now the smug that would come from Aggie and Longhorn fans because they would be a part of it. The smug would be returned when this super league fails miserably.
It IS discouraging and sad, but change (good, bad, neutral) is inevitable.

But now, thanks to NIL and its anticipated fallout, NCAA sports has me like the lyrics in a Waylon Jennings song: "My shivagetter's broke."

Thank goodness there's PBR.

Last edited:

ECM

I know you're not here to argue or fight, and this is not an attempt to do so, I promise. I just thought it was funny that the only school ever to get the death penalty for paying players is talking about how paying players will ruin the sport.

Back to your regular scheduled posting.
Well, we certainly weren’t the only school paying players. But now that you can do it legally, out in the open, and with immediate transfer eligibility, I think eventually the entire FBS minus 20 or so schools will just become a big farm system for those 20 or so schools. And when that happens, the sport will die as interest dries up.

Wexahu

They aren't really generating millions by their play, at least on an individual basis. That's what is hard to reconcile for me. Every one of these players is entirely replaceable and the money coming in will not change.

Without the stage, nobody would pay $5 to watch 20 year-olds play football. And they are about to royally scheiss up the stage.

ECM

They aren't really generating millions by their play, at least on an individual basis. That's what is hard to reconcile for me. Every one of these players is entirely replaceable and the money coming in will not change.

Without the stage, nobody would pay $5 to watch 20 year-olds play football. And they are about to royally scheiss up the stage.
This. These kids have almost zero market value without a college’s name plastered across the front of their jersey. When a CFB “Super League” emerges then a lot of fans outside the “Super League” are just going to tune out, and when that happens, the sport will suffer as a whole.

East Coast

Tier 1
I'm thinking it's going to be setup with anywhere from 20 to 36 teams in 2 leagues. Most likely 24, 28, or 32 teams with a league championship and a "national championship". A lot of these kids are going to get in trouble with the tax man as well. Most likely, athletic scholarships, including room and board, are going to become taxable income. Without exceptions, this will kill the sports where the kids don't have access to large amounts of NIL cash.

Jared7

I don't see schollies becoming taxable, but I think NIL money will be. The players earning that even now should be setting aside up to a 1/3rd to pay federal (and state) taxes. Texas' lack of a state income tax is something of an advantage for schools like TCU that are located there.