• The KillerFrogs

FWST: ‘There is no wrong.’ TCU’s Patterson delivers NIL message to local business leaders

Frog Island

I'm not a Donati fan (nor am I, literally, Donati), but just to correct the record here: ADJD was under orders from his bosses and university compliance. In a perfect world, the university would have been lining up deals left and right (even though that's kinda against the rules). I'm confident we are about to "catch up" real fast, and JD will be leading that effort.
I hope so. He worked as an agent before after all.

The Bad Guy

I can't imagine being rich and wanting to give my money regularly to 17-22 years old. Call me crazy but I think you could spend your money elsewhere.... and let's be real even if TCU donors put up the big bucks, they are not going to be able to keep up with Ohio St, Bama, Clemson and the likes check books.....

Hopefully an entire different division of football is created down the road (hopefully still enough fans left).

Gonna be REAL hard to convince boosters to throw money at this, unless some rules are put in place that gives us even a fighting chance. Rich people are usually smart enough to identify a terrible investment.

I find this laughable... There is no ROI in being a college booster, its paying for entertainment and prestige. Literally paying to be GP's buddy. Those that write checks today will keep doing it, knowing that money only returns access and fun.

Frog Island

Gonna be REAL hard to convince boosters to throw money at this, unless some rules are put in place that gives us even a fighting chance. Rich people are usually smart enough to identify a terrible investment.
Rich people are. Rich people also like hookers and blow (ask SMU). So not everything they throw money at has to make sense.

FinanceFrog

so what I’m hearing is people complaining that the rich football programs are going to get richer. The deck is stacked against smaller schools that don’t have the built in advantages of bigger schools.

and this is exactly what lower socioeconomic people complain about with the US economy and life in general. so maybe they have a point. most of us don’t see their view though because in life we are the UTs, OUs and Alabama’s.

I'm not a Donati fan (nor am I, literally, Donati), but just to correct the record here: ADJD was under orders from his bosses and university compliance. In a perfect world, the university would have been lining up deals left and right (even though that's kinda against the rules). I'm confident we are about to "catch up" real fast, and JD will be leading that effort.
yeah that pretty much falls in line with our conversations with Vbo. Our NE group offered to sponsor the entire baseball team and spread about a million across football but we got the cold shoulder from donati. then we went to Vbo. He seemed nervous about the whole thing as though it did not set in.

Anyways i'm not picking up the phone. they can call me if they change their minds. i understand that BBQ guy's frustration.

To close the loop on this:

- Get the university compliance office out of the way (follow the Texas laws at the minimal level, that's it) (Here is that law: https://legiscan.com/TX/text/SB1385/id/2407682/Texas-2021-SB1385-Enrolled.html)

- Get existing athletics sponsorship agreements cleaned up (there are some "conflicts" from older contracts, this is under way)

- Give boosters the green light (underway)

- Open back channels to boosters on who/how much/etc. (next)

- Once matured, put together your unofficial "NIL Packet" for recruits and players, detailing exactly what a TCU Athlete in a particular sport could/will receive... This becomes part of the unofficial pitch for the university, in partnership with the boosters

Get all that done, TCU will be OK... but we are only 2-3 out of 5 steps done, Texas and Alabama have had all five done since the 70s.

Gotta catch up...

Planks

so what I’m hearing is people complaining that the rich football programs are going to get richer. The deck is stacked against smaller schools that don’t have the built in advantages of bigger schools.

and this is exactly what lower socioeconomic people complain about with the US economy and life in general. so maybe they have a point. most of us don’t see their view though because in life we are the UTs, OUs and Alabama’s.

It’s not the time or place, you’re not changing any minds with this comparison.

yeah that pretty much falls in line with our conversations with Vbo. Our NE group offered to sponsor the entire baseball team and spread about a million across football but we got the cold shoulder from donati. then we went to Vbo. He seemed nervous about the whole thing as though it did not set in.

Anyways i'm not picking up the phone. they can call me if they change their minds. i understand that BBQ guy's frustration.

Presuming this is true, please, just go do it. Literally call and ask for the baseball roster, sports information can provide it, and then your group should just go put deals in place with each player. Do it tomorrow... I promise, TCU will not do anything but thank you (privately, of course).

Wexahu

I find this laughable... There is no ROI in being a college booster, its paying for entertainment and prestige. Literally paying to be GP's buddy. Those that write checks today will keep doing it, knowing that money only returns access and fun.

But it's not going to be much fun when we aren't competitive, and rules are in place that literally will make it almost impossible to stay competitive. It's not going to happen overnight, but I'd be shocked if over time we have boosters still willing to try and keep up in this environment. How much are they going to pay to be the buddy of some coach that goes .500 every year?

I find it laughable that you don't think this will make a difference in boosters willingness to donate.

Purp

You keep missing one enormous mastodon in the room. The "rich" who are going to get "richer" are already rich because of government subsidy and not the free market. You are correct that this is a decent analogy to the U.S. economy and life in general. Our government has created competitive advantages for major corporations for generations. But when government picks winners and losers you can't pretend it's really a free market.

Moose Stuff

Just from what I’m reading in this thread…. Keep trying, you’ll find less and less resistance.

jake102

Do not call TCU. Just do it. Easy answer

Pharm Frog

Solution: TCU develops a degree program called "Bachelors in Life Science" for student athletes that teaches home economics, budgeting, public speaking, etc... Time commitment: Minimal.

Fake degrees in “higher” education….nice. UNC might approve. So why have the college pretense at all? Time to decouple instead. I also can’t wait for Title IX folks to start doing the math ala the US National Soccer Team Identifying as Women.

But it's not going to be much fun when we aren't competitive, and rules are in place that literally will make it almost impossible to stay competitive. It's not going to happen overnight, but I'd be shocked if over time we have boosters still willing to try and keep up in this environment. How much are they going to pay to be the buddy of some coach that goes .500 every year?

I find it laughable that you don't think this will make a difference in boosters willingness to donate.

You changed the debate... "They won't want to donate if we aren't competitive..." Well, of course this creates frustration, but the answer is not that they stop donating, the answer is they start making calls and push the coach out! Hello, the University of Texas Football Team.

Presuming this is true, please, just go do it. Literally call and ask for the baseball roster, sports information can provide it, and then your group should just go put deals in place with each player. Do it tomorrow... I promise, TCU will not do anything but thank you (privately, of course).
I can vouch for Edge. (And I likewise encourage what you suggested. @Edge Frog just do it. Ignore the noise.)