• The KillerFrogs

FWST: ‘There is no wrong.’ TCU’s Patterson delivers NIL message to local business leaders

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
‘There is no wrong.’ TCU’s Patterson delivers NIL message to local business leaders

BY DREW DAVISON

TCU football coach Gary Patterson encouraged local business leaders and TCU supporters to embrace the NIL era in college athletics.

Patterson painted a realistic view of the future in college football — and college sports in general — with players now being able to profit off their name, image and likeness during an NIL event put on by the university Wednesday night.

How TCU is helping student-athletes profit off NIL is what recruits are asking about most these days. And it will surely impact the program’s ability to keep current players from entering the ever-growing NCAA transfer portal.

Read more at https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article254278183.html

Moose Stuff

My thoughts exactly after reading that. And not in the trite way that scheiss is generally used on this board. How soon before “agents” can start paying players?

I mean it’s just crystal clear that whether or not a school offers a kid a great education and a chance to play for a winning football team are now secondary factors to how much money someone will pay him to go/stay there. I have very little confidence we (or any smaller school) can keep up in this new reality.

Pharm Frog

I mean it’s just crystal clear that whether or not a school offers a kid a great education and a chance to play for a winning football team are now secondary factors to how much money someone will pay him to go/stay there. I have very little confidence we (or any smaller school) can keep up in this new reality.

I'll give it year or so to see how it's working out but have a feeling that my days of interest are very small. If what GP says is true (and what an amazing thing that would be) then it's all over but the shouting.

FinanceFrog

some kids will be motivated by money, some will be motivated by a winning program and a good coach. the choice is theirs to make.

for some cfb players they come from struggling families and their college NIL money could go a long way to help. it’s hard to get to the pros so it may be your only chance to get paid.

who are we to judge - the players make their own decisions.

Moose Stuff

I'll give it year or so to see how it's working out but have a feeling that my days of interest are very small. If what GP says is true (and what an amazing thing that would be) then it's all over but the shouting.

I have no doubt it’s true. I’d come to that conclusion long before he said what he said. And my interest won’t be small…. It will basically just be gone entirely.

Pharm Frog

some kids will be motivated by money, some will be motivated by a winning program and a good coach. the choice is theirs to make.

for some cfb players they come from struggling families and their college NIL money could go a long way to help. it’s hard to get to the pros so it may be your only chance to get paid.

We are the college sports fans. IMO we are the only ones qualified to judge whether we wish to remain fans or find other diversions. If the opportunity for a college education is insufficient for “student”-athletes to play intercollegiate sports then it’s time for colleges to step aside and bow out of “scholarship” athletics. I do think it also reveals the very low regard in which the college degree is held. Got to get “paid now”. No delayed gratification for long-term earnings and growth.

tcudoc

I am not against the kids getting paid, and more power to them for doing it. Most of these kids will likely never see the pay day that they hoped they would in pro sports, so this offers them a chance to capitalize a little bit on their talent and hard work (beyond the obvious college education, which I think the majority of them do not care much about). I think once this settles out, it will continue to be only a handful of the players that are making significant money. This will likely breed discontent with their teammates and will tear teams apart. I don't think it will be the panacea that many players think it will be. How will the right guard that opened up all of the giant holes so his running back can be a heisman finalist feel when the average fans have no idea who they are yet the running back is making $500,000 to a million from sponsors?
This change will, however, completely alter the landscape of college athletics and I will feel the same amount of loyalty to college sports that I do for pro sports, which is very close to zero.
I would likely stick with kfc for the community that it is, but will care less about the sports aspect of it.

CountryFrog

Are you really asking who are we to judge whether or not we will be fans of something? Who the scheiss else would judge that?

FinanceFrog

We are the college sports fans. IMO we are the only ones qualified to judge whether we wish to remain fans or find other diversions. If the opportunity for a college education is insufficient for “student”-athletes to play intercollegiate sports then it’s time for colleges to step aside and bow out of “scholarship” athletics. I do think it also reveals the very low regard in which the college degree is held. Got to get “paid now”. No delayed gratification for long-term earnings and growth.

sure - your choice is whether or not to remain a fan, that’s up to you. whether or not the player wants to maximize earnings is up to them.

I don’t think getting paid in college and long time earnings growth are mutually exclusive. big schools like aTm and UT offer both money and a great education - why not do it?

tcudoc

The only problem is that, over time, the best coaches and the best players (and thus, the winning programs), will all be concentrated to a smaller number of large blue blood programs with the alumni support to pay the players the most. It will not take long for the concentration of resources (players, coaches, and therefore, wins) to all become centrally located to about 30 programs. I would predict one to two recruiting cycles.

HToady

So, if the University wants to put up banners along University Drive and downtown, and put out programs and videos with players images on them.....do they now have to pay the player for that right?

Pharm Frog

The only problem is that, over time, the best coaches and the best players (and thus, the winning programs), will all be concentrated to a smaller number of large blue blood programs with the alumni support to pay the players the most. It will not take long for the concentration of resources (players, coaches, and therefore, wins) to all become centrally located to about 30 programs. I would predict one to two recruiting cycles.

Finance agrees with you. See his post immediately preceding yours. A&M and UT and the “big schools”…..

Froggish

‘There is no wrong.’ TCU’s Patterson delivers NIL message to local business leaders

BY DREW DAVISON

TCU football coach Gary Patterson encouraged local business leaders and TCU supporters to embrace the NIL era in college athletics.

Patterson painted a realistic view of the future in college football — and college sports in general — with players now being able to profit off their name, image and likeness during an NIL event put on by the university Wednesday night.

How TCU is helping student-athletes profit off NIL is what recruits are asking about most these days. And it will surely impact the program’s ability to keep current players from entering the ever-growing NCAA transfer portal.

Read more at https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article254278183.html

Recruiting has essentially become a time share pitch and I'm not even joking. I know very well...

1. Get them on campus by offering the recruit and family free travel, accommodations, and meals.
2. Wow them with over the top exuberance that is mostly fake
3. Give them the tour of the campus and all it's "amenities"
4. Take them into a room and present your NIL Business plan Shark Tank Style (This is the new norm for anyone who wants to compete at the highest levels. This is the part TCU has been crapping the bed on)
5. Give the recruit an NFL Presentation with the HC
6. Apply pressure hoping you get at least a silent commit.
7. Send them home and contact them daily until they hate you or sign with you.

Rinse - repeat.....All that for a kid who may end up being a 3rd stringer for you....College athletics is insane.

Frog Island

Kinda how it is now?