• The KillerFrogs

CBS Sports: Realignment Fallout, What's Next

Eight

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...ahoma-stating-intent-to-leave-big-12-for-sec/

Probably the most inciteful piece so far. Would the AAC be so bad if it elevated to P5? Or should the Big 12 try to pull the AAC schools in since it's guaranteed to be a P5 conference for the foreseeable future?

I'd like the Pac-12,but I'm just not sure we're viewed as liberal enough to be a culture fit there.

yes it is that bad, yes the aac with FIVE texas teams is going to face the very same problems encountered by the swc and the big 12 except it won't have the two biggest brands in the state and will from the start be relegated to the kids table in the kitchen

why do the media and people on this board continue to focus on the automatic qualifier status and miss the consolidation of teams that is taking place.

Mean Purple

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...ahoma-stating-intent-to-leave-big-12-for-sec/

Probably the most inciteful piece so far. Would the AAC be so bad if it elevated to P5? Or should the Big 12 try to pull the AAC schools in since it's guaranteed to be a P5 conference for the foreseeable future?

I'd like the Pac-12,but I'm just not sure we're viewed as liberal enough to be a culture fit there.
They don't give a rats ass about who is liberal. It is about money. And the PAC is always hungry for earlier tv times. They have gotten seriously angry over the issue.

MagicFrog

yes it is that bad, yes the aac with FIVE texas teams is going to face the very same problems encountered by the swc and the big 12 except it won't have the two biggest brands in the state and will from the start be relegated to the kids table in the kitchen

why do the media and people on this board continue to focus on the automatic qualifier status and miss the consolidation of teams that is taking place.

I don't think people miss the consolidation, but what are we supposed to do about it? When something like this happens you have to focus on what the best situation is next. The consolidation is real and it's happening but it's not going to happen overnight.

You move into the best situation you possibly can and plan to do everything you can to put yourself in the best situation for the next dominoes to fall. TCU has done pretty well in that regard, this is just one more step in the process.

MagicFrog

They don't give a rats ass about who is liberal. It is about money. And the PAC is always hungry for earlier tv times. They have gotten seriously angry over the issue.

Oh yeah they do. Cal Berkeley, UCLA, USC, freaking Stanford. They absolutely care, it's why BYU hasn't gotten in despite having a huge footprint. You bet they do.

Hell, all the talk so far has been that OSU and TT are the two they would be after and message boards are already griping about their mascots having guns. It's real. If either or both of them end up over there you can bet their "guns up" cheers are gone.

Mean Purple

Oh yeah they do. Cal Berkeley, UCLA, USC, freaking Stanford. They absolutely care, it's why BYU hasn't gotten in despite having a huge footprint. You bet they do.

Hell, all the talk so far has been that OSU and TT are the two they would be after and message boards are already griping about their mascots having guns. It's real. If either or both of them end up over there you can bet their "guns up" cheers are gone.
if conf admins and school admins gave a rats ass about what was on message boards, GP would be in court against this one.

Eight

I don't think people miss the consolidation, but what are we supposed to do about it? When something like this happens you have to focus on what the best situation is next. The consolidation is real and it's happening but it's not going to happen overnight.

You move into the best situation you possibly can and plan to do everything you can to put yourself in the best situation for the next dominoes to fall. TCU has done pretty well in that regard, this is just one more step in the process.

helping form a conference with FIVE schools from the same state with limited media presence is not a great option. it has failed twice and you don't even have an anchor program in the state, but i am sure this time it will work out right?

MagicFrog

helping form a conference with FIVE schools from the same state with limited media presence is not a great option. it has failed twice and you don't even have an anchor program in the state, but i am sure this time it will work out right?

Then what's your suggestion?

tcufootballjh98

I think we're a better culture fit than Baylor, TTU and OSU. No chance Baylor gets in.

Eight

Then what's your suggestion?

first, who of the remaining 8 are willing to work together.

gary's has said multiple times the only way this works for the big 12 is if all parties stay together. if wvy, ku, and/or ok state bolts there is no combination of aac teams left in my opinion that can comprise a conference that draws national attention and p5 status.

don't know the requirements for the cfp, but who says they have to elevate a conference to p5 status if the big 12 crumbles.

perfect sell to me is if they can go to p4, but don't guarantee slots to conferences. if the pac doesn't measure up they don't get a team in like the last 5 years and that gives espn the continued leverage on usc, ucla, and uo to consider leaving the pac.

that would leave tcu hoping to land in the pac or a lower conference. sucks, but this isn't a matter of simply filling slots

Bob Sugar

If the PAC/ACC/Big10 invite doesn't happen for TCU, my preference would be for the B12 to do the poaching. I wouldn't mind for ISU and KU to leave for the Big 10 either, and then let the remaining 6 focus on adding the best 6 teams looking East.
West Division:
Baylor
Boise (or Tulsa/UH/SMU if BSU's too far out of the geographic footprint)
KSU
OSU
TCU
Tech

East Division:
Cinci
Memphis
UCF
USF
WVU
one more (Coastal Carolina maybe?)

I would much prefer this to joining the AAC or MYC and having numerous home games against the UNLVs and ECUs of the world.

A schedule of BU, KSU, OSU, Boise, Tech, UCF, WVU, Cinci, and Memphis would have been pretty salty for many/most seasons the last 10 years. Certainly better than any of the schedules in the MWC, C-USA days.

Eight

If the PAC/ACC/Big10 invite doesn't happen for TCU, my preference would be for the B12 to do the poaching. I wouldn't mind for ISU and KU to leave for the Big 10 either, and then let the remaining 6 focus on adding the best 6 teams looking East.
West Division:
Baylor
Boise (or Tulsa/UH/SMU if BSU's too far out of the geographic footprint)
KSU
OSU
TCU
Tech

East Division:
Cinci
Memphis
UCF
USF
WVU
one more (Coastal Carolina maybe?)

I would much prefer this to joining the AAC or MYC and having numerous home games against the UNLVs and ECUs of the world.

A schedule of BU, KSU, OSU, Boise, Tech, UCF, WVU, Cinci, and Memphis would have been pretty salty for many/most seasons the last 10 years. Certainly better than any of the schedules in the MWC, C-USA days.

problem is there is no reason for anyone west of lubbock to turn that on other than betting reasons which means you have a highly regionalized group in areas that are either small populations center or the smaller brands in a highly, highly saturated market

damn shame csu, or say, unlv aren't better programs and this new conference needs those areas to be competitive and drawing eyeballs now and not something that "might grow"

the geography sucks, the market is over saturated, and we need leadership that is as ruthless as it is visionary which are not the first two things when i think about bowlsby

Bob Sugar

problem is there is no reason for anyone west of lubbock to turn that on other than betting reasons which means you have a highly regionalized group in areas that are either small populations center or the smaller brands in a highly, highly saturated market

damn shame csu, or say, unlv aren't better programs and this new conference needs those areas to be competitive and drawing eyeballs now and not something that "might grow"

the geography sucks, the market is over saturated, and we need leadership that is as ruthless as it is visionary which are not the first two things when i think about bowlsby
I don't disagree, but it would be even worse joining the MWC or AAC, in my opinion. Under my hypothetical, there is no short term dead weight, save for USF who was really bad last year. Eventually, some of the teams would become perennial losers, but in the first few years you'd have all of the "best of the rest" in one conference, not three.

Eight

I don't disagree, but it would be even worse joining the MWC or AAC, in my opinion. Under my hypothetical, there is no short term dead weight, save for USF who was really bad last year. Eventually, some of the teams would become perennial losers, but in the first few years you'd have all of the "best of the rest" in one conference, not three.

think you touched on a variable that eventually becomes a big factor, but it is damn near impossible to project

who and when becomes available when the sifting so to speak takes place in the "remaining" 4 power coferences

don't see utah and cu making the cut so to speak and those would be great partners to work with in terms of markets, geography, similar commitment to their programs. same with some of the big 10 programs and a few others.

would think it will be very interesting how some of these new conference contracts are written. been part of a few agency partnerships in which we all knew it was only temporary and a matter of consolidation for increase market share.

Outback Frog

I have been to a number of sports news sites and it surprises me how many have TCU landing in the Pac12 Conference. I realize they are using guesswork like everyone else, but at least the overall consensus is a favorable opinion of it possibly happening. I like how one site used the rationale that the Frogs have played out west before joining the WAC and later the MWC. Another said, TCU has plenty of experience of changing conferences and is not sitting by idly.

steelfrog

Tier 1
I have been to a number of sports news sites and it surprises me how many have TCU landing in the Pac12 Conference. I realize they are using guesswork like everyone else, but at least the overall consensus is a favorable opinion of it possibly happening. I like how one site used the rationale that the Frogs have played out west before joining the WAC and later the MWC. Another said, TCU has plenty of experience of changing conferences and is not sitting by idly.
Steel certainly hopes they are correct and PAC12 would seem to be a great landing spot (and great destination, and we can probably play against those teams and achieve a greater than .500 win %). Hard to see this happening tho, REALLY hope it does!

bp4tcu

If we're smart, we're on the horn with Tech last week talking how we can pair together to the Pac, bring OSU if you want.

We need to have a Texas friend in all this, and it sure a fvck aint baylor.

Flying T

Tier 1
If the Pac12 and/or whoever is actually going to be paying for all of this were smart they reach out to KU if the BIG is indecisive about them and add KU, Okie Lite, TCU, and Texas Tech. That would be an amazing basketball package to pit against Arizona and UCLA etc, it is a formidable football group sans KU in 3 different central timezone states with a heavy presence in DFW, and as a bonus 3 of the schools have elite baseball.