• The KillerFrogs

Houston Chronicle: Texas, Oklahoma reach out to SEC about joining conference

Eight

If you are ESPN, would you rather:

- Incentivize the PAC 12 to go to 16-18 in the CT zone and pay the premium for that, plus buy/license the Pac Network into ESPN+ (same deal offered years ago, but lower terms), which means Fox is boxed out after the Big Ten deal, OR

- Incentivize the Big 12 to stay together with its current members + a few adds... Likely Cincinnati, Houston, UCF, and maybe (prepare yourself) UCONN or BYU... This path means you are going to pass on the PAC 12 A-tier rights and let FOX go it alone, probably, and maybe just get some basketball and other content for ESPN+. Fox would likely buy the Pac Network, streamline it into 1-2 channels, and fold it into its rights negotiations with cable operators.

This is a large, looming question. One route is likely much more expensive for ESPN but is more of a big bet that could pay off long term + completes your CFB roster. The other is cheaper by far, and thus will likely have a higher ROI, but could have long-term impacts that are undesirable as a rights holder.

which option includes getting rid of hacks like greenberg and orlosky, looping sporting events even if it means more axe throwing and lumber jack olympics and getting out of the quasi sports/politics/ social justice business since their own house is far from in order?

oh ,andi vote for the first simply because scheiss byu for no other reason even though i know someone dgaf. heck, i am good with the old big sky conference if it means scheissing over byu

TCUdirtbag

- Incentivize the PAC 12 to go to 16-18 in the CT zone and pay the premium for that, plus buy/license the Pac Network into ESPN+ (same deal offered years ago, but lower terms), which means Fox is boxed out after the Big Ten deal, OR

- Incentivize the Big 12 to stay together with its current members + a few adds... Likely Cincinnati, Houston, UCF, and maybe (prepare yourself) UCONN or BYU... This path means you are going to pass on the PAC 12 A-tier rights and let FOX go it alone, probably, and maybe just get some basketball and other content for ESPN+. Fox would likely buy the Pac Network, streamline it into 1-2 channels, and fold it into its rights negotiations with cable operators.

This is a large, looming question. One route is likely much more expensive for ESPN but is more of a big bet that could pay off long term + completes your CFB roster. The other is cheaper by far, and thus will likely have a higher ROI, but could have long-term impacts that are undesirable as a rights holder.

Just flagging your mention of “16-18.”

An 18-team league with two 9-team divisions could allow the divisions to be pretty autonomous.

Edit: I am [ Finebaum ] at math. On second math, I assume that looks like Utah joining the original PAC-8 schools, with the AZ schools plus Colorado joining six Big 12 leftovers. For TCU’s sake, hopefully that means WVU to the ACC and Baylor to hell.

Last edited:

netty2424

mMSKdXk.gif

Bob Sugar

Which way are the winds blowing as of July 26, 2021?

MAcFroggy

Wonder if Fox tries to make a power play and incentivize the B1G to add Cal, USC, Stanford, UCLA, Washington, and Oregon. That gives fox and the big 10 all of the big time brands on the west coast and cuts the dead weight of Washington state, oregon state, and the others that do not bring great ratings. Fox could have B1G games on from noon eastern until 1 AM the next day.

Edit: The remaining PAC 12 teams and the remaining Big 12 teams could join up as a best of the rest conference. Doubt anything this drastic happens, but this would be the power play from Fox.

Paul in uhh

I get the feeling that there is a reason you share this other than off the cuff speculation.

Eight

In response, the Big 12/8 should go to the deep pockets of Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, and Fox and see how good of a deal they could get, ESPN is an outdated cable network, time to leverage other options, this ain’t 2008

like where you are going, but this is college sports where the schools don't want to consider the players as employees and many in the pac think things like the rose bowl and a conference that has been around for close to 100 years matters to the networks

as i said elsewhere, the conference needs someone who has vision and is ruthless in business. not sure who that is just don't get that feeling when i look at this guy

images

KTown Frog

Had a conversation with a guy at work and we talked about how the PAC 12 is probably right now fifth maybe forth overall as whole conference of the power fives. By adding the leftovers of the big 12, they gain more in my opinion as a whole from top to bottom then the ACC. You would still have your top-tier prestige teams in USC and Oregon, not near the level of Alabama or Ohio State but The conference as a whole would be way more competitive than anything the ACC could put together. Gaining that Midwest, central time zone would do a lot for the PAC 12. I feel like if the PAC 12 doesn’t move, they’re left behind in the future just like the big 12 is now.

Eight

Had a conversation with a guy at work and we talked about how the PAC 12 is probably right now fifth maybe forth overall as whole conference of the power fives. By adding the leftovers of the big 12, they gain more in my opinion as a whole from top to bottom then the ACC. You would still have your top-tier prestige teams in USC and Oregon, not near the level of Alabama or Ohio State but The conference as a whole would be way more competitive than anything the ACC could put together. Gaining that Midwest, central time zone would do a lot for the PAC 12. I feel like if the PAC 12 doesn’t move, they’re left behind in the future just like the big 12 is now.

the pac is not exactly a visionary group and i wouldn't be shocked if they did nothing and then reacted in shock when usc and uo leave them in the future

asleep003

Can't remember the last time the Frogs lost to a PAC12 team ... not to mention beating the B10 in the 2011 Rose Bowl, on their behalf.... lol !

Paul in uhh

the pac is not exactly a visionary group and i wouldn't be shocked if they did nothing and then reacted in shock when usc and uo leave them in the future
Odd that a group positioned near the forefront of technology/Silicon Valley/big tech would not be visionary in its movements.

Eight