• The KillerFrogs

Houston Chronicle: Texas, Oklahoma reach out to SEC about joining conference

Wexahu

I can't imagine how the PAC and ACC won't expand after this deal goes through. How can they let one conference dominate like that without doing anything.

Expanding with teams that don't really move the needle is a pointless exercise. USC isn't going to remain in a conference with a bunch of Colorado State's, Utah's and TCUs while all the other major programs are banding together. Same with Clemson, North Carolina and Florida State.

Just not gonna happen.

Moose Stuff

this does raise an interesting question

what are the procedures for expelling a conference member in good standing from say the sec or the big 10?

i don't see those running the sec willingly giving up power nor the big 10 and acc, but you would have to think at some time one overriding organization would have to be formed and the easiest way would not be expelling conference members. instead certain select schools would be invited to the new league

Just start a new league, call it something else, and don’t invite them. The Vanderbilts and Wake Forests of the world aren’t long for this new world either.

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...sooners-texas-longhorns-verge-making-sec-move

This excerpt was interesting:

"Several ACC athletic directors believed that their league would make a push in the next few years to add both Texas and Oklahoma -- along with Notre Dame, which already is a partial ACC member -- as it looks to restructure its TV contract, but the suddenness of the Longhorns' and Sooners' move to the SEC took them by surprise.

One ACC AD wondered whether this could be the first domino leading to a massive shake-up that would ultimately result in a 32-team superconference. Two other ADs suggested that the best path forward might be for the ACC, Pac-12 and others to work together toward a new media rights package that could help counter the outsized strength a 16-team SEC would command, with one AD also saying he believed there was minimal value in what would remain of the Big 12."

y2kFrog

I can't imagine how the PAC and ACC won't expand after this deal goes through. How can they let one conference dominate like that without doing anything.

Exactly. They have to extend their footprint or they both will just be regional coastal conferences.

Last edited:

Moose Stuff

I think the main reason this isn’t bothering me more than it is is because it was always easy to see where this was eventually headed and that the TCU’s of the world would never be a part of it. Getting left behind the first time was WAY different. At least to me it was.

FBallFan123

Correct. Indeed, you made my point.

NIL isn’t changing the landscape. Of course the starting QB at Alabama is going to make among the most off NIL. What does that change? Nothing. Alabama already gets top QBs.

Disagree completely.

Wait til we start publicly seeing actual dollar amounts of what Big Ten/SEC players get compared to players in other conferences.

It’ll be similar to the discrepancy in conference payouts between the SEC/Big Ten and other conferences.

Moose Stuff

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...sooners-texas-longhorns-verge-making-sec-move

"Several ACC athletic directors believed that their league would make a push in the next few years to add both Texas and Oklahoma -- along with Notre Dame, which already is a partial ACC member -- as it looks to restructure its TV contract, but the suddenness of the Longhorns' and Sooners' move to the SEC took them by surprise.

One ACC AD wondered whether this could be the first domino leading to a massive shake-up that would ultimately result in a 32-team superconference. Two other ADs suggested that the best path forward might be for the ACC, Pac-12 and others to work together toward a new media rights package that could help counter the outsized strength a 16-team SEC would command, with one AD also saying he believed there was minimal value in what would remain of the Big 12."

I mean it won’t happen because the big schools in the other leagues know they will be in the final inner circle but the only way you combat this is for EVERY other league to refuse to schedule the SEC in anything forcing them to just be their own little entity that nobody outside of that bubble gives one rat’s ass about. Would actually be a next level truly brilliant plan to scheiss the SEC. Again, I’m not even remotely serious that this is gonna happen.

y2kFrog

They weren’t getting Texas/OU and ND is going to renegotiate their deal with NBC now that they have numbers to demand. They can complain about what’s left or realize they going have to do something.

Froggish

Quite simply:

Before we had a $$ gap.
If we get relegated out of the P4, we will have a $$$$$$$$$ gap.

Athletics payrolls have grown exponentially.
Scholarships are more expensive to cover because tuition is higher.
Full cost of attendance.
Educational benefits (Alston).
No P4/P5, less NIL incentive (a far smaller problem than the above).

All these costs with a fraction of the money while the SEC may haul in $70 M+ / yr / school.

The gap is too wide.

100% Accurate. Money wins - Poverty loses

TCUdirtbag

Disagree completely.

Wait til we start publicly seeing actual dollar amounts of what Big Ten/SEC players get compared to players in other conferences.

It’ll be similar to the discrepancy in conference payouts between the SEC/Big Ten and other conferences.

Ok, well, sorry (I guess) you don’t understand what the real fundamental change drivers are in college athletics?

FBallFan123

Ok, well, sorry (I guess) you don’t understand what the real fundamental change drivers are in college athletics.

You act like only the Alabama QB will get paid.

It’s just the most glaring example.

But the SEC and Big Ten will dominate recruiting battles even more than they used to once HS athletes start seeing numbers made public.

jake102

I mean it won’t happen because the big schools in the other leagues know they will be in the final inner circle but the only way you combat this is for EVERY other league to refuse to schedule the SEC in anything forcing them to just be their own little entity that nobody outside of that bubble gives one rat’s ass about. Would actually be a next level truly brilliant plan to scheiss the SEC. Again, I’m not even remotely serious that this is gonna happen.

The SEC has been playing chess for the past 15 years while the other conferences have been playing tic tac toe. The PAC12 is going to temporarily luck out, they should have been the first to die, but the B12 is a joke also.

But I've come more around to the fact that this is eventually going to end up as a ~30 team minor league football with all the big schools

TCUdirtbag

You act like only the Alabama QB will get paid.

It’s just the most glaring example.

But the SEC and Big Ten will dominate recruiting battles even more than they used to once HS athletes start seeing numbers made public.

You make it sound like people are lining up to sign deals with these athletes.

Look around. They’re not. There are some QBs, RBs and a small handful of position players at the top of the food chain schools getting some deals. A few one offs, too. NIL isn’t and won’t fundamentally change anything. Maybe reinforce the current power structure. But you’re naively overvaluing the impact of NIL.

Survey college ADs. This isn’t the concern.

Eight

100% Accurate. Money wins - Poverty loses

200.gif

in hindsight, the big 12 should have been listening to wutang financial for planning advice

protect that neck and drop some bonbs​

FBallFan123

You make it sound like people are lining up to sign deals with these athletes.

Look around. They’re not.

Survey college ADs. This isn’t the concern.

NIL is in its infancy.

I’m not talking about right now.

I’m talking about several recruiting cycles down the line … when more of the NIL numbers become public.