• ACC

Votes: 15 6.5%
  • AAC/Mountain West/Conference USA

Votes: 64 27.7%
  • Independent

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Total voters

LVH

I was told the 4 super conferences of 16 teams idea is basically dead out of the gate now because the top tier teams don't see 64 teams they want to share money with

There is a real discussion about creating a top tier league that sits above everyone and has zero involvement with the rest of college football.

Only post in the thread that makes sense. 64 teams isn't the goal and never was. 32 is more like it. Teams like Wake Forest, Boston College, Washington State are not going to get a pass here

Chongo94

There's no way that's happening. If you're paying attention, you realize this is already a done deal.

And LOL at those saying we'll stay in the Big 12. There is no Big 12 without TX and OU. This conference is toast.

Agreed. This conference has been a dead man walking the past few years anyway. Now it’s done. I would really hope that we are doing everything we can to secure a move to the PAC but I’m just not sure that will happen, sadly.

We’re gonna be in this weird Frankenstein amalgamation of a conference that includes Tech, Kansas, Baylor, Memphis, Cinci, Okie State, and schools of that ilk. Brutal.

Chongo94

This is so wrong, mainly that we're a better fit for the Pac than Tech or OSU.

It was made known during the last shuffle that the Pac does not want private religious schools, as loose as ours may be. The Pac 12 was literally on Texas Tech's campus touring the campus and facility, it was a done deal until UT screwed them. Academics are not an issue, tv markets are the concer. Say what you want about OSU and Tech, but they're not the academic cesspool we like to think they are, especially Tech. They've made big moves over the past 10-15 years. Tech will bring DFW and Houston markets far more than we will.

We are no better a fit for the Pac than Tech. We're just not.

Don’t agree here though. Tech to the PAC was never a done deal, and that is coming from Tech boosters and athletic employees themselves as I lived out there during the last round.

Also, TCU routinely out draws tech games on tv here in dfw so I don’t believe the idea that Tech draws the Dallas and Houston markets is that strong to begin with. Don’t even get me started academically…they’ve made efforts but having been on campus when they were in the midst of those efforts, trust me, they’re nowhere near PAC school levels or even that of TCU, OU, and UT.

There's no way that's happening. If you're paying attention, you realize this is already a done deal.

And LOL at those saying we'll stay in the Big 12. There is no Big 12 without TX and OU. This conference is toast.
I think every team would jump at an opportunity to leave. I'm just not convinced there will be any opportunities. There isn't some sort of master plan being implemented. There is just UT and OU leaving and then every conference makes their own decisions on expanding or staying pat. Has to be a good rationale for the other conferences to expand (mostly money) or there won't be the votes for expansion. If not the Big 12 is left to backfill.

bp4tcu

Don’t agree here though. Tech to the PAC was never a done deal, and that is coming from Tech boosters and athletic employees themselves as I lived out there during the last round.

Also, TCU routinely out draws tech games on tv here in dfw so I don’t believe the idea that Tech draws the Dallas and Houston markets is that strong to begin with. Don’t even get me started academically…they’ve made efforts but having been on campus when they were in the midst of those efforts, trust me, they’re nowhere near PAC school levels or even that of TCU, OU, and UT.
Agree to disagree then, and until someone shows me numbers, I don't believe we out draw Tech. Tech has more alumni in DFW than we do in the world. Yeah, larger alumni base an all that, but they put more eyes on TVs in DFW than we do based purely on the face more of those eyes exist for them than they do us. They've not been good for a while, but they still have a very loyal audience. You really think there are more people watching TCU games than Tech games? The math just doesn't add up.

And the Pac thing was done, just needed the signatures. That's also based on boosters and people "in the know". My wife is a 3rd generation Tech grad, and her dad's best friend is on the Board of Directors, and was when all that went down. I heard it from his mouth.

I'm not going to get into the academics. Sure they're not UT or OU, but they're just fine. Getting their vet school in Amarillo was a really big deal. They stood down aggy and got it done, and their getting close to Tier 1.

My point in all of this is I love TCU as much as any of us, but we're just not the national or even state brand a lot of think we are. That's not me comparing it to any other school, that just saying it based on us alone.

Eight

Why the PAC-12 would be in survival mode? I get that they are the weakest conference, but how does adding 4 Big 12 teams change that? And they could add those teams at any time, anyway, so time isn't of the essesnse. If they are going to make a move, it has to improve their bottom line. Maybe there is a model for them that does that, but I can also make the argument that a weakened but viable Big 12 helps them.

the west coast is hemorrhaging talent like never before and that is only going to get worse with stories such as the projected started for bama bringing in all those dollars in of nil agreements.

bama and clemson both project to start qb's from the same high school conference in so cal. ohio state has been raiding so cal and the pnw for elite talent and a big problem is the perception of the conference and the lack of eye balls.

they have to find a way to rebrand at a time where a few schools athletic departments are running in the red (i.e. wazzu), a few others are debating just how big their commitment should be to athletics (i.e. uw, stanford, cu), and only a few have much national name recoginition (i.e uo, usc, and ucla)

it is just 12-15 years ago when usc dominated college football for its last run and uo looked on the verge and since then the big name schools can't get out of their ways

odds are adding four central time zone schools don't elevate the pac to the level of the other three conferences. that is going to take one or two of those schools to raise their level of play as we have seen in the acc, but they can't stay the course and expect to suddenly draw the attention of college football fans.

Longhorn from Aledo

I think every team would jump at an opportunity to leave. I'm just not convinced there will be any opportunities. There isn't some sort of master plan being implemented. There is just UT and OU leaving and then every conference makes their own decisions on expanding or staying pat. Has to be a good rationale for the other conferences to expand (mostly money) or there won't be the votes for expansion. If not the Big 12 is left to backfill.

Yes, there is going to be a push to be like the SEC and its pod format. There are going to be 4 16 team conferences with pods.

Pac 16

UW
Wazzu
OSU
UO

Stanford
Cal
USC
UCLA

ASU
AZ
Col
Utah

OSU
TCU
Tech
BU

The Texas schools need to stick together. It's all or none.

Last edited:

Big Frog II

This is so wrong, mainly that we're a better fit for the Pac than Tech or OSU.

It was made known during the last shuffle that the Pac does not want private religious schools, as loose as ours may be. The Pac 12 was literally on Texas Tech's campus touring the campus and facility, it was a done deal until UT screwed them. Academics are not an issue, tv markets are the concer. Say what you want about OSU and Tech, but they're not the academic cesspool we like to think they are, especially Tech. They've made big moves over the past 10-15 years. Tech will bring DFW and Houston markets far more than we will.

We are no better a fit for the Pac than Tech. We're just not.
The only reason that the Pac-12 was interested in Texas Tech was they thought they were going to get Texas and OU too. If Texas and OU had wanted to bring UTEP and Tulsa they would have agreed with that too just to get Texas and Oklahoma

tcuwags

Let's start a conference of all Purple schools. Play all of our games on Nickelodian with all those cool effects.

TCU Horned Frogs
Minnesota State Mavericks
Furman Paladins
ECU Pirates
Kansas State Wildcats
Prairie View A&M Panthers
Western Carolina Catamounts
Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks
James Madison Dukes
Western Illinois Leathernecks

A hard no to Tarelton State and Grand Canyon U (if they ever add football).

the west coast is hemorrhaging talent like never before and that is only going to get worse with stories such as the projected started for bama bringing in all those dollars in of nil agreements.

bama and clemson both project to start qb's from the same high school conference in so cal. ohio state has been raiding so cal and the pnw for elite talent and a big problem is the perception of the conference and the lack of eye balls.

they have to find a way to rebrand at a time where a few schools athletic departments are running in the red (i.e. wazzu), a few others are debating just how big their commitment should be to athletics (i.e. uw, stanford, cu), and only a few have much national name recoginition (i.e uo, usc, and ucla)

it is just 12-15 years ago when usc dominated college football for its last run and uo looked on the verge and since then the big name schools can't get out of their ways

odds are adding four central time zone schools don't elevate the pac to the level of the other three conferences. that is going to take one or two of those schools to raise their level of play as we have seen in the acc, but they can't stay the course and expect to suddenly draw the attention of college football fans.
I get the rationale that the PAC-12 needs to "do something". But from the PAC-12 perspective it's a big leap from agreeing "we need to do something" to formally voting to add Big 12 leftovers. The model has to make sense financially first and foremost. Maybe it will but I think that is a big "if". And again I could even see the rationale of them wanting to prop up the Big 12, not destroy it.

It doesn't matter where TCU ends up. TCU athletics is going to be irrelevant in the new world of college athletics, just because of our size, private-school status and lack of brand. It's too bad we built a Taj Mahal of a football stadium. I feel bad for those who have paid mega-bucks and now will be watching lower-level football.

Frozen Frog

Let's start a conference of all Purple schools. Play all of our games on Nickelodian with all those cool effects.

TCU Horned Frogs
Minnesota State Mavericks
Furman Paladins
ECU Pirates
Kansas State Wildcats
Prairie View A&M Panthers
Western Carolina Catamounts
Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks
James Madison Dukes
Western Illinois Leathernecks

A hard no to Tarelton State and Grand Canyon U (if they ever add football).

And a hard no to the latest D1 school USTd (St. Thomas in MN)! They were the BYU of D3.

none of these models make sense because they aren't sustainable in terms of on the field success, money, and egos staying in check

in regards to propping up the big 12 with what? you can't add more schools in the state of texas, you can't grab a school half way across the country, and you now have the brand recognition of the mwc and the acc
I mean that from the PAC-12 perspective keeping alive a weakened but viable Big 12 could be a strategic advantage. Another conference lower on the tier from them but with a voice and vote that might be a natural ally on various issues. And you can raid it at any time if/when the dollars make sense if they don't make sense now. Just trying to think from the PAC-12 perspective.

Chongo94

Agree to disagree then, and until someone shows me numbers, I don't believe we out draw Tech. Tech has more alumni in DFW than we do in the world. Yeah, larger alumni base an all that, but they put more eyes on TVs in DFW than we do based purely on the face more of those eyes exist for them than they do us. They've not been good for a while, but they still have a very loyal audience. You really think there are more people watching TCU games than Tech games? The math just doesn't add up.

And the Pac thing was done, just needed the signatures. That's also based on boosters and people "in the know". My wife is a 3rd generation Tech grad, and her dad's best friend is on the Board of Directors, and was when all that went down. I heard it from his mouth.

I'm not going to get into the academics. Sure they're not UT or OU, but they're just fine. Getting their vet school in Amarillo was a really big deal. They stood down aggy and got it done, and their getting close to Tier 1.

My point in all of this is I love TCU as much as any of us, but we're just not the national or even state brand a lot of think we are. That's not me comparing it to any other school, that just saying it based on us alone.

Someone on the board used to post tv ratings of big 12 games and going by those, yes, TCU routinely had a bigger rating than Tech games in the dfw area. Can’t remember who it was and they haven’t done it in a while. Not sure why they stopped.

Maybe your people are right and mine are wrong. Wouldn’t discount that because what I learned from living and working out there is no one at Tech has hardly any idea of what’s going on there at any time, keystone cops half the time out there.

Eight

I mean that from the PAC-12 perspective keeping alive a weakened but viable Big 12 could be a strategic advantage. Another conference lower on the tier from them but with a voice and vote that might be a natural ally on various issues. And you can raid it at any time if/when the dollars make sense if they don't make sense now. Just trying to think from the PAC-12 perspective.

a voice to whom? the mouse network? the other power conferences? the cfp?

they haven't had a representative in 5 years in the cfp and they need to do something to show they are willing to keep relevant.

if an organism doesn't evolve when its environment changes it risks extinction. we see it in science, we see it in business, and we have seen it in college sports

SuperTFrog

AAC/MWC is just a stupid answer. Big12 would poach with the bigger name and contracts.

It is more likely that A&M says scheiss money we want to make the playoffs and voluntarily leaves the SEC to rejoin Big12 than us joining the MWC again.
I love takes like this. You think the AAC/MWC is a stupid answer. What happens if KU and Iowa St go to the big 10 and WVU goes to the ACC. You think that the big 12 will add 7 teams to get to 12? You don’t think it would be a potential scenario (ie not stupid) that we link up with a few other schools to join a conference that already has 12 teams vs us trying to add 7 teams?

Longhorn from Aledo

Frank the Tank makes the case for TCU being the second most attractive PAC-12 target over on the CSNbbs realignment forum:

https://www.csnbbs.com/thread-925583-post-17511521.html#pid17511521

He is a long time realignment observer and prolific poster but not an insider or anything. He also opines like me that they end up doing nothing.

Whoever is their TV partner needs to push them to do the right thing. In case y'all didn't notice, it was ESPN and FOX that refused to negotiate early that caused this mess. The problem for the PAC, they are intellectual idiots that can't mow their own lawn much less put together a conference realignment.

Donati needs to text CDC and get the number for ESPN if he doesn't already have it and get the ball rolling. ESPN needs to back door the idiots on the west coast. ESPN needs to nudge them to act. They are idiots..... more worried about weather than anything.

Eight

Whoever is their TV partner needs to push them to do the right thing. In case y'all didn't notice, it was ESPN and FOX that refused to negotiate early that caused this mess. The problem for the PAC, they are intellectual idiots that can't mow their own lawn much less put together a conference realignment.

Donati needs to text CDC and get the number for ESPN if he doesn't already have it and get the ball rolling and back door the idiots on the west coast. ESPN needs to nudge them to act. They are idiots..... more worried about weather than anything.

texas has been looking for an out since the conference was formed as had they had their way they were gone back in the 90's

fox and espn's refusal to negotiate might have been the triggering event, but the foundations of the big 12 were shaky from the beginning

Longhorn from Aledo

texas has been looking for an out since the conference was formed as had they had their way they were gone back in the 90's

fox and espn's refusal to negotiate might have been the triggering event, but the foundations of the big 12 were shaky from the beginning

Agreed but we were willing to stay if the money was still there. It's drying up as our economy tanks.