• The KillerFrogs

Houston Chronicle: Texas, Oklahoma reach out to SEC about joining conference

Eight

I don't think this is super unrealistic. It would likely be Tech over TCU, but either way it would probably save both schools from relegation.

Baylor is in absolutely the worst position! They are viewed Notre Lame without the prestige and BYU without the fans combined with a horrific location.

this is so unrealistic it borders on farcical

cdc is not driving the train on the texas move

Frozen Frog

this is so unrealistic it borders on farcical

cdc is not driving the train on the texas move

I think the Mizzou to the Big Ten is very likely if the Big Ten expands. Big Ten scoreboards on the SEC! The SEC would likely look at 1 school to replace it. Who is the question. Tech or KU are the most likely. Either one helps TCU. I don't think TCU is headed to SEC, but stranger things have happened.

Number 1 piece of new information from the Big 12-2 meeting last night: They had heard UT and OU's timeline with the SEC was accelerating, given the leaks, and they are concerned they may try to leave earlier than thought (which could impact a number of timelines for the remaining 10 teams). In defense of Texas/OU, this is also what I would do at this point if I really wanted to make the SEC happen above all else: Speed becomes your friend here.

If you are curious, there is a plan to have some Big 12 loyalists (maybe not Presidents) call their friends at major SEC institutions to see if we can torpedo this thing... Targets mentioned to me were Arkansas, Mizzou (not a hard no, yet), both Mississippis, LSU, and Kentucky. We need 4 to kill it, and have one in the bank, though there are rumors A&M will be brought to understanding and this whole exercise is likely futile.

Frozen Frog

No one and I mean no one played realignment worse than Tulane and Sewanee, who left the SEC in 1960 and 1944, respectively.

Tulane might care on a minor level. I am pretty sure Sewanee doesn't care one bit! Carleton in Minnesota looked at joining the Big Ten. They want nothing to do with the Big Ten today. The U of Chicago might think differently today when it comes to their previous membership in the Big Ten. Some schools don't view athletics in the same way as others.

Number 1 piece of new information from the Big 12-2 meeting last night: They had heard UT and OU's timeline with the SEC was accelerating, given the leaks, and they are concerned they may try to leave earlier than thought (which could impact a number of timelines for the remaining 10 teams). In defense of Texas/OU, this is also what I would do at this point if I really wanted to make the SEC happen above all else: Speed becomes your friend here.

If you are curious, there is a plan to have some Big 12 loyalists (maybe not Presidents) call their friends at major SEC institutions to see if we can torpedo this thing... Targets mentioned to me were Arkansas, Mizzou (not a hard no, yet), both Mississippis, LSU, and Kentucky. We need 4 to kill it, and have one in the bank, though there are rumors A&M will be brought to understanding and this whole exercise is likely futile.

Oh, and one more kind of funny thing... One name mentioned that was going to make some calls in the SEC? Former Horn HC... Who knows how true, but I laughed real hard at it given the pettyness.

Chongo94

I realize that UT is vastly overrated every year but their clout as a flagship university and tv draw is now very apparent.

Big 12 goes from UT and OU to possibly Memphis and Cinci, sheesh.

windfarm

Adding any group of 5 schools is going to turn the Big 12 into a group of 6 conference. No way the football champion of a Big 12 with UH and Memphis/Cincy is given a sniff of the playoff.

outside shot of attracting Arkansas and Mizzou. Sadly could use A&M defection but they don’t want to appear to be running scared.

Moose Stuff

Last paragraph seems pretty pathetic to me.

Eight

Adding any group of 5 schools is going to turn the Big 12 into a group of 6 conference. No way the football champion of a Big 12 with UH and Memphis/Cincy is given a sniff of the playoff.

outside shot of attracting Arkansas and Mizzou. Sadly could use A&M defection but they don’t want to appear to be running scared.

isn't simply a matter of adding one big name.

the big 12 is about to lose the dominant team in the conference who is a big brand name along with one of the biggest brand names in college football even if they underachieve

the ags don't replace either of those and there is no combination out there that comes close.

the irony is that texas is about to make the very mistake the ags made and that is trusting the sec.

BriefParchedDodobird-max-1mb.gif