• The KillerFrogs

Houston Chronicle: Texas, Oklahoma reach out to SEC about joining conference

It is evident from the UT and OU statements today that something is going on. They are not denials. They do not endorse the Big 12. And they even sound coordinated.

Bowlsby and the conference office were bafflingly unprepared for Alston, and they’ve put some limits on NIL, too. Big 12 execs are just collecting checks and not paying attention. It’s absurd. Boschini is the Chair of the Big 12 Board and needs to start paying attention.

Leadership change is needed. Bowlsby and Co. can’t lead the Big 12 through the 2025 expiration of media deals and grant of rights. They’ve lost UT and OU’s confidence. Hopefully this news is just a power play and ends with a new Commissioner. The 12-team playoff model gives UT and OU a lot of reasons to stay. We’ll see what happens.

No comment on Bowlsby specifically, but just to defend VBo: TCU has been aware of this eventuality for awhile but there’s only so much you can do until parties declare their intentions. One could argue we started working our own contingency plans 10 years ago, in a manner of speaking. Now, the pieces start moving. TCU can’t control its destiny, but we might have options (heavy emphasis on might).

Endless Purple

Too many to reply to, but it seems few paid attention when the B1G expanded. IT had little to do with how many people watched Rutgers or Maryland in or out of their markets. It has to do with the Big 10 network and subscriber fees.

By adding those two teams in the NY and DC markets, those two markets became in-network markets. That means that every cable subscription in those two markets with the Big10 channel went from about $0.15/mo to about $0.80/mo. Instant upgrade for millions of dollars.

TCU would change the DFW TV market from out-of-network to in-network because the B1G would then have a team in that market. This would not be applicable to the PAC 12 since they do not have a network of their own. They would have to reply on the comments above about who watches TCU and getting more PAC 12 sports scores on the news.

helcap

Was discussing this very topic last week with office Okies and they were adamant about two things (granted far from being "big cigars" at OU)
They would only want to leave the Big 12 if they could leave Texas behind
and doubt they could go anywhere without taking OSU with them

Endless Purple

To me, I see two scenarios if UT and OU go SEC.

1) It is the first step to a break away of the top 20-30 teams for their own division.

2) It would be the first step to a consolidation to 4 conferences of 16 teams each. The ACC and B1G are almost there already and the PAC needs help or it will drop to a lower perceived level (if not already there behind the AAC)

If the rest of the Big 12 stayed together, they would have to raid the AAC to stay top dog of the G5 conferences. I don't see this really being where it stops unless the PAC some how really made the B1G want to leave them behind.

Bizarro Frog

After giving this some thought I am not panicked unless they leave the playoff at 4 or 6. Under the 12 team playoff it’s safe to assume an SEC with TX and OU gets 4-5 bids. They might get that many anyway. The talk of TX and OU not competing in the SEC is beyond silly. They are both monster programs and the Aggies were not as good as them in the BIG 12 and they were a top 5 team last year. OU and TX will rise to the top quickly.

If this truly goes to 12 teams the Frogs are okay in any conference we end up in in my opinion. Under the 12 team scenario with 6 auto champs the champ of the AAC will have an easier road than us because they don’t play a big time schedule like we do now.

Moose Stuff

Quietly hiding in the HASMSP thread, waiting... Just glad everyone gets to join me in the sadness that's been flowing through TCU admin for months. Sigh... Folks should go read the OG HASMSP post on this broader topic to catch up a bit.

Only thing to add at this point... There are more enemies of this potential outcome than there are fans of it. A&M has been the primary source of the whispers/leaks (started last week, major outlets wouldn't run with it), but the nuclear button was pushed today. Horns and Sooners aren't happy, Greg ain't happy, but good... let em sweat a bit.

Of course, it's extremely hard to get back together once one party has started flirting with somebody else and got caught... Even if the SEC doesn't work out, there are other options for the two Big 12 crown jewel members. I still think the best play for the Big 12 remaining 8 members is as I outlined before: give OU/TX what they want ($$) and make the Faustian bargain to save our behinds. It is the only way. Relying on a Pac 12 invite is no way to live.

Good news is, if you're like me, you'll get to "acceptance" sooner rather than later and realize that it was fun to be a TCU fan in the MWC too, and it'll all be OK at the end of the day.

Acceptance is easy for me but college sports is losing me as a fan. I don’t see a whole lot of “fun” in where any of this is headed regardless of what UT and OU do.

Bizarro Frog

The 2 newest members of SEC (Aggies, Mizzou) are not going to stop this if the SEC wants it. TX and OU plus Notre Dame are the holy grail of realignment.

asleep003

nobody wants the school that should’ve gotten the death penalty
It's most probably more about the school's historical roots close to fundamentalist in nature than anything else. For instance, TCU has evolved into a more liberal student environment, like USC did several decades earlier, from it's theological beginnings....

Dman890

It was fun being a TCU fan in the MWC when we were winning and it felt like we were on an upward trajectory with Patterson coaching in his prime.

How does tcu do after being relegated with likely a new coach?

Palliative Care

This has nothing to do with the schools "roots". It is only about $$$$$.
And as to the relegated status I am reminded of what Mark Twain once said, "The news of my demise is greatly exaggerated".

Too many to reply to, but it seems few paid attention when the B1G expanded. IT had little to do with how many people watched Rutgers or Maryland in or out of their markets. It has to do with the Big 10 network and subscriber fees.

By adding those two teams in the NY and DC markets, those two markets became in-network markets. That means that every cable subscription in those two markets with the Big10 channel went from about $0.15/mo to about $0.80/mo. Instant upgrade for millions of dollars.

TCU would change the DFW TV market from out-of-network to in-network because the B1G would then have a team in that market. This would not be applicable to the PAC 12 since they do not have a network of their own. They would have to reply o nthe comments above about who watches TCU and getting more PAC 12 sports scores on the news.

That line of thinking was so 10 years ago. The game has changed dramatically.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
The 2 newest members of SEC (Aggies, Mizzou) are not going to stop this if the SEC wants it. TX and OU plus Notre Dame are the holy grail of realignment.
tenor.gif

asleep003

It was fun being a TCU fan in the MWC when we were winning and it felt like we were on an upward trajectory with Patterson coaching in his prime.

How does tcu do after being relegated with likely a new coach?

We will be a very attractive place for a Top Coordinator/G5 HC ... that's where GP came from.... if not another very resourceful HC from a moderate P5 program.