• The KillerFrogs

Houston Chronicle: Texas, Oklahoma reach out to SEC about joining conference

East Coast

Tier 1
actually, it’s not. BC isn’t even the top college team for eyeballs in Boston.

hell their own fans barely care about sports and Pitt is roughly the same way.

Pitt is absolutely not a big deal in NYC markets

agree penn state is top 5 for NYC / DC (think Michigan edges them out but it’s not a big gap)
What did you miss about me saying BC and Pitt have a little interest?? But yes, Notre Dame has more interest in Boston than BC. No one talks Michigan or Rutgers football in the NE. Maryland gets more interest than both of those.

Paul in uhh

I bet tcu could get in the pac if it renamed itself and forced vaccinations on all attendees and staff.

Since we all agree with the vaccination part, what’s a good replacement name? Hopefully something that keeps TCU as an acronym..

Where’s @Gary's Shirtless Revenge ?! His input is all I’ll listen to!!

Quietly hiding in the HASMSP thread, waiting... Just glad everyone gets to join me in the sadness that's been flowing through TCU admin for months. Sigh... Folks should go read the OG HASMSP post on this broader topic to catch up a bit.

Only thing to add at this point... There are more enemies of this potential outcome than there are fans of it. A&M has been the primary source of the whispers/leaks (started last week, major outlets wouldn't run with it), but the nuclear button was pushed today. Horns and Sooners aren't happy, Greg ain't happy, but good... let em sweat a bit.

Of course, it's extremely hard to get back together once one party has started flirting with somebody else and got caught... Even if the SEC doesn't work out, there are other options for the two Big 12 crown jewel members. I still think the best play for the Big 12 remaining 8 members is as I outlined before: give OU/TX what they want ($$) and make the Faustian bargain to save our behinds. It is the only way. Relying on a Pac 12 invite is no way to live.

Good news is, if you're like me, you'll get to "acceptance" sooner rather than later and realize that it was fun to be a TCU fan in the MWC too, and it'll all be OK at the end of the day.

HG73

David? David Boren? Is that you?

Smoke screen. Makes a lot more sense for ut and ou to go to the Big10. Mo' money, more academic prestige. That matters to ut since they won't be getting in the CFP in either of those conferences.

tetonfrog

If it isn't the SEC, then UT or OU will flirt with the PAC 12 or the Big 10 or the ACC. It is only a matter of time before they bolt. The bigger ? is what are Donati and TCU planning when they do leave and who is left behind and what can we do to survive.

Boomhauer

Quietly hiding in the HASMSP thread, waiting... Just glad everyone gets to join me in the sadness that's been flowing through TCU admin for months. Sigh... Folks should go read the OG HASMSP post on this broader topic to catch up a bit.

Only thing to add at this point... There are more enemies of this potential outcome than there are fans of it. A&M has been the primary source of the whispers/leaks (started last week, major outlets wouldn't run with it), but the nuclear button was pushed today. Horns and Sooners aren't happy, Greg ain't happy, but good... let em sweat a bit.

Of course, it's extremely hard to get back together once one party has started flirting with somebody else and got caught... Even if the SEC doesn't work out, there are other options for the two Big 12 crown jewel members. I still think the best play for the Big 12 remaining 8 members is as I outlined before: give OU/TX what they want ($$) and make the Faustian bargain to save our behinds. It is the only way. Relying on a Pac 12 invite is no way to live.

Good news is, if you're like me, you'll get to "acceptance" sooner rather than later and realize that it was fun to be a TCU fan in the MWC too, and it'll all be OK at the end of the day.

I had tried to forget your post since it was concerning, but you certainly were on it. Appreciate the info, even though it isn’t exactly what we want to hear.

LisaLT

Even IF UT and OU end up leaving, this would not happen until after 2025 as the TV rights for their games belong to the Big 12/ESPN Fox deal. A lot can happen in 4 years like we could win the BIG 12, beat both of those stupid programs and be the big dog in the conference.

Moving to the SEC, though possible, would all but guarantee no further championships for either program. (although OU as long as Riley sticks around as coach has a better chance).

NYC Horned Frog

My guy! Always on point. Thanks for the info even though it’s absolutely not what I wanted to hear.

Even IF UT and OU end up leaving, this would not happen until after 2025 as the TV rights for their games belong to the Big 12/ESPN Fox deal. A lot can happen in 4 years like we could win the BIG 12, beat both of those stupid programs and be the big dog in the conference.

Moving to the SEC, though possible, would all but guarantee no further championships for either program. (although OU as long as Riley sticks around as coach has a better chance).
I am sure @Gary's Shirtless Revenge can do a much better job than myself at explaining the scenarios where the rights package can blow up.

I am sure @Gary's Shirtless Revenge can do a much better job than myself at explaining the scenarios where the rights package can blow up.

Hard to say how exactly it would play out, but things to remember:

- The "Grant of Rights" contractual/exit penalty theory has never really been tested in court... Most lawyers tell schools, conferences, and networks that it's not foolproof, which is partially why conferences/schools like it vs a fixed $$ penalty as it gives them an escape hatch while providing the appearance of being all-in. It's a very odd mechanism that, at best, lives right on the border of several Trade laws and theories. What makes it sticky is this ambiguity, and a general preference from Universities to not get tied up in years of litigation in an area with zero relevant precedence.

- If, theoretically, Texas and OU announced that they were leaving the Big 12 early (say, following the 2022-2023 season), why would the remaining 8 members fight to keep UT/OU media dollars when those same 8 remaining members would undoubtedly also be looking to leave themselves. The Big 12 is a partnership, and its partners are the universities, Bob Bowlsby is their agent... The Big 12 as an entity really can't just collect royalties without some direction and focus on doing so from incentivized owners. Most likely, there would be a settlement, so the other 8 members got some $$ whilst plotting their own immediate exits.

To be very clear here: I have no opinion yet of what will actually happen here, and I can tell you the TCU admin doesn't either. There will be much, much more to say in time. We are maybe in the second or third inning at this point.

TCUdirtbag

It is evident from the UT and OU statements today that something is going on. They are not denials. They do not endorse the Big 12. And they even sound coordinated.

Bowlsby and the conference office were bafflingly unprepared for Alston, and they’ve put some limits on NIL, too. Big 12 execs are just collecting checks and not paying attention. It’s absurd. Boschini is the Chair of the Big 12 Board and needs to start paying attention.

Leadership change is needed. Bowlsby and Co. can’t lead the Big 12 through the 2025 expiration of media deals and grant of rights. They’ve lost UT and OU’s confidence. Hopefully this news is just a power play and ends with a new Commissioner. The 12-team playoff model gives UT and OU a lot of reasons to stay. We’ll see what happens.