• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Why playing this year’s AT&T Byron Nelson means so much to Fort Worth’s J.J. Henry

TCURiggs

Well since I already spouted off about 3 of them- I will just add my view of the other two

Ridglea is pretty solid for what it is

two courses, focused on younger families and golfers, they have a great men’s group and a ton of “games” you can get into to play

the Monday group is one of the best around town

the family course (north) is actually the better course in my opinion but the south being the men’s only course means they have some great options

if they had a better club house at the North it would be hard to beat for the price really

if I were younger and couldn’t fit the Bill for Colonial- I would be at Ridglea in a heartbeat

RiverCrust - meant that- is a social club with a golf course. Their course is a muni with a big maintenance budget. Nice clubhouse but getting dated already, great pool scene and good food. Lots of old west side money families and the Nuevo Rich seem to flock there. But I can’t stand the course and only play it for charity events and the Crestibal. Really good CC gin games at Rivercrest though

there is a reason Rivercrest only has golf memberships - because if they offered social, no one would pay the extra to play the course

Well said on Ridglea. Hard to beat for what you get. When the greens at the North are rolling fast, which they often are, they're some of the toughest in town... lots of fun. The South/men's course is just nice and easy... practice area is great as well. Never had a four hour round out there, and they make a stiff drink.

Froglaw

As long as Charles Schwab continues to sponsor Colonial - which they have said they want to extend since they moved to Westlake last year- and the PGA tour and CS stay on good terms around the senior tour - Colonial is not going anywhere

and honestly I don’t know that the Byron will move to a course at PGA Headquarters- they will want to be able host the PGA Championship at their headquarters every 4-5 years is what I was told and they don’t allow majors at courses that host normal tour events. I guess they could move it every 5 years to another location like they did with the Wells Fargo and Quail Hollow last year.

Pipe dream oh mine is that the PGA goes back to a match play format.

They won't, but it is still the most exciting form of golf to watch.

Palmer never won the PGA despite the change in format.

Don't you know players in the 50s even after his bus crash hated to draw Hogan.

"What are you doing tomorrow? "

I'm playing Hogan then the wife and I are going to take a few days off and drive to Florida for a break.

Pipe dream oh mine is that the PGA goes back to a match play format.

They won't, but it is still the most exciting form of golf to watch.

Palmer never won the PGA despite the change in format.
That would be a disaster.

Imagine getting amped up to watch Billy Horschel and Keith Mitchell duke it out in the finals on Sunday, because that’s about what you’d get.

Froglaw

That would be a disaster.

Imagine getting amped up to watch Billy Horschel and Keith Mitchell duke it out in the finals on Sunday, because that’s about what you’d get.

Not for someone who loves the game itself.

But the World golf championship, Ryder Cup, Walker cup, Scholhiem Cup, presidents cup, etc. draw great audiences.

Again it is a wish and you are right, TV rules the sport. Stil . . . .?

Not for someone who loves the game itself.

But the World golf championship, Ryder Cup, Walker cup, Scholhiem Cup, presidents cup, etc. draw great audiences.

Again it is a wish and you are right, TV rules the sport. Stil . . . .?
From a purely idyllic point of view, I don't disagree. But then reality sets in. You don’t think the people at the PGA of America — the association of club professionals who live and breathe golf 365 days a year — don’t love the game itself? And you don’t think they were ever smart enough to think of the idea of bringing back the match play format?

The Ryder Cup and Presidents Cup are successful because on the final day you have 12 matches going on. This is not only good for TV, but good for those attending because it allows 50,000 fans to spread out all over the course for 8+ hours of golf.

In contrast, the WGC Match Play is one of the least successful events each year for fans and TV ratings because you only have a handful of matches on the weekend when fans are more likely to watch in person and on TV.

Even with Tiger and Rory in a final on Sunday at the PGA Championship, you could only really have about 7,000 fans seeing any golf...any number after that would just be there looking at the scoreboards, following on their phones, or, if they were lucky enough, watching on TV in a hospitality tent.

Match play finals can set up to be very anti-climactic and uneventful. Imagine if Faldo and Norman, the two best players in the world, had been playing match play in the '96 Masters. That match would have been over after 12 holes -- Faldo would have won 7 and 6.

Colonial remains in a precarious relationship in it's future with the PGA. Every year the PGA threatens Colonial. The main reason it's still on the tour is because the Byron Nelson has failed so miserably. With the PGA moving their offices to Frisco, eventually, the Byron Nelson will be there also and Colonial will be the first to go. For some reason, some of the better known professional players complain about the narrow fairways. Last year it was whiney Rory McElroy.

As stated above Colonial is going to spend 20+ million on course improvements, but tradition will eventually succomb to PGA bad decisions and entitled players.

Rory is in luck...with all the rain we've had and rain to come, conditions are ripe for another tree or two to fall.

Eight

I have. Its noisy with the fighters taking off. They move very fast. I know what your saying but nothing compares to the B-52's. They were slow comparatively and the noise would drop you to your knees!

bingo, that low rumble that slowly builds before the ground starts shaking has to be experienced