• The KillerFrogs

2023-2024 European Football Thread

hiphopfroggy

isn't it amazing the level of skill now being displayed by american players in some of the very best leagues around the world

landon for all his faults was the best we had at the time, but could he start for us team now?

Dempsey

Dempsey.gif

Purp

isn't it amazing the level of skill now being displayed by american players in some of the very best leagues around the world

landon for all his faults was the best we had at the time, but could he start for us team now?
I think he could. Landon didn't challenge himself enough. He could have been better. But he wouldn't be a slam dunk in the starting 11 every time. I always thought Deuce was better anyway. Donovan had the statistical benefit of copious PKs that Deuce didn't get to take. Landon also missed a ton of PKs. Take away PKs and the stats for both players are clearly one sided toward Deuce.

Eight

landon's high water mark to me was the 2002 world cup and some of the matches against mexico in azteca and if i recall correctly dempsey hadn't started playing for the men's national team until the mid 20's

dempsey is the best in the men's national team history, but i don't think of him at the same time as i do landon

Eight

I think he could. Landon didn't challenge himself enough. He could have been better. But he wouldn't be a slam dunk in the starting 11 every time. I always thought Deuce was better anyway. Donovan had the statistical benefit of copious PKs that Deuce didn't get to take. Landon also missed a ton of PKs. Take away PKs and the stats for both players are clearly one sided toward Deuce.

always was curious what would have happened with landon if he stayed with leverkuesen instead of coming back to the us

Chongo94

Agree with y’all, Dempsey is or was far better than Landon in my estimation. Landon benefitted from being the first supposed golden boy to be in Europe and then the media attention from being the big fish in the small MLS pond at the time.

I always snicker at the Landon lovers that try to use his 5 week stay in Everton as proof that he could’ve stormed Europe.

Chongo94

Completely agree. His ridiculous pk bs before taking them drove me mad. When he flubbed them I Always yelled if hadn’t spent so much time squatting down and picking grass and crossing himself, he’d probably make more!

Purp

Completely agree. His ridiculous pk bs before taking them drove me mad. When he flubbed them I Always yelled if hadn’t spent so much time squatting down and picking grass and crossing himself, he’d probably make more!
Another quality Deuce had way more than Landon was leadership. Landon was the guy the media wanted to talk to, but I never got the sense that he spoke for the whole group. Landon's work rate was phenomenal, but that might be the only area he outperformed Deuce.

Plus, Landon never did anything like this...

Eight

the champion league final is set with man city and chelsea on may 29 and i understand the attraction in past years why a city would want to host that game.

this year however i am waiting to watch this play out as turkey is still in lock down until mid may, only 4,000 tickets will be available for each side's supporters for the game in instanbul and there is the small problem of whether or not people will need to quarantine upon entry into turkey or returning back from the match.

understand wembley is booked on the 29th, but this makes absolutely no sense to have two teams from england and a handful of supporters to travel to turkey with all the travel restrictions in place

heck, f1 didn't allow fans in portugal last week, aren't that i know of this week in spain, and i can't recall the last european match i watched with a crowd of any type

Chongo94

Arsenal will not be in Europe for the first time in 25 years...way to go Kroenkes.

I’d be annoyed if I weren’t so happy that it further depreciates Stan’s asset.

Chongo94

the champion league final is set with man city and chelsea on may 29 and i understand the attraction in past years why a city would want to host that game.

this year however i am waiting to watch this play out as turkey is still in lock down until mid may, only 4,000 tickets will be available for each side's supporters for the game in instanbul and there is the small problem of whether or not people will need to quarantine upon entry into turkey or returning back from the match.

understand wembley is booked on the 29th, but this makes absolutely no sense to have two teams from england and a handful of supporters to travel to turkey with all the travel restrictions in place

heck, f1 didn't allow fans in portugal last week, aren't that i know of this week in spain, and i can't recall the last european match i watched with a crowd of any type

Actually, I believe that some plans are in work to possibly host it at Aston Villa’s stadium.

dawg

Arsenal will not be in Europe for the first time in 25 years...way to go Kroenkes.

I’d be annoyed if I weren’t so happy that it further depreciates Stan’s asset.

This. The only glimmer is that:

1) missing out on CL next year
2) no European football next year,
3) even if he was inclined to drop £400m, there’s the issue of a clueless front office that wouldn’t spend wisely if he did
4) a squad of players that played with zero urgency in the biggest match of the season. Roma, needing six, at least played with some pride
5) a manager that got schooled by the manager you canned for not meeting the standard

will convince Kroenke to sell. We’re years away from the top six, and the club’s value will only decline.

Chongo94

This. The only glimmer is that:

1) missing out on CL next year
2) no European football next year,
3) even if he was inclined to drop £400m, there’s the issue of a clueless front office that wouldn’t spend wisely if he did
4) a squad of players that played with zero urgency in the biggest match of the season. Roma, needing six, at least played with some pride
5) a manager that got schooled by the manager you canned for not meeting the standard

will convince Kroenke to sell. We’re years away from the top six, and the club’s value will only decline.

Let’s hope!