• The KillerFrogs

Looks Like TCU Reads KFC-Cash to Get Over Due Statue

But lawyers do use the BS term esquire to to somehow make themselves seem as though it actually has anything to do with the law, when it is actually means: English gentry ranking below a knight; a candidate for knighthood serving as a shield bearer and attendant to a knight; a title adopted by some in the legal profession in an attempt to seem they are more important than they are.
That's not entirely true.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
In general, referring to yourself as a doctor or not has to do with context and situation. If you are among your educational peers or speaking to a group and you have achieved a doctoral degree as your terminal degree, then general decorum is to include the title in the introduction. If you are in a hospital and meeting a patient and you are a Doctor of Philosophy, a doctor of education, a doctor of theological studies, a doctor of physical therapy, a doctor of nursing practice, etc., then the term "doctor" can be deceptive and will cause patient confusion because patients in that setting who hear someone introduce themselves as a "doctor" expect that the person is an MD or a DO, or, in certain settings, a DDS or DPM (podiatrist). Chiropractors traditionally use the title "Doctor" in their own clinical setting because people know that they are in a chiropractor's office (chiropractors do not have hospital privileges).

I believe that Dr. Cash absolutely deserves to use the title Doctor in his own environment. If he was on an airplane and the question was asked, "is there a doctor on board?", maybe that is not the time to use his well-earned title.

The word doctor has gotten so watered down over the past two decades as every educational process has elevated their terminal degree to a doctoral level, whether deserved or not. Examples include programs that only require ~18 months of online classes done remotely with little to no classroom time, in person education, defense of a thesis, or anything remotely academically rigorous and no barriers to entry except a willingness to go $100K into debt, and everyone who starts finishes as long as they pay their tuition, and these programs result in a doctoral level degree. TCU has many such programs. Most "doctoral candidates" maintain their full time job and, other than some homework at night, and a much lighter pocketbook, and have not put in the same level of effort as the traditional PhD, which may take 5-7 years of rigorous academic research effort.

I feel that the term doctor has become so cheapened and clouded that it should be abandoned by the medical profession and the term physician should be used.

I noticed that many nurses and others in the UK refer their doctors as mister.

I always refused to call any chiropractor doctor.

Then there was always Dr. Ross Geller...

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
I would assume you were not alive to witness what those first black athletes in the Southwest Conference had to endure. If you had attended the games, I don't believe you would have posted this. If you did, then you would know that James Cash has EARNED the right to be to be introduced as Doctor.

Or was and it still irks him.

Hell Sent Frog

We were forced by HC Jamie Dixon to listen to recordings of Mr. Cash at one of the men’s basketball games this past season.
I found the Harvard professor to be very long winded. I didn’t think the recordings would ever end and we would be allowed to watch the rest of the game.

West Coast Johnny

I think Mr Cash should stop having people call him doctor. What’s wrong with just being a professor.
I actually thought he was a medical doctor and I’m sure others have thought that too.
We don’t go around calling all lawyers a doctor, a JD is a Doctrine of Jurisprudence
Also, you’re trying to make him out to be like Jackie Robinson or somebody like that. TCU having black athletes at that time was so long overdue and says more about the slow progress that TCU had finally made more than it does James Cash’s trailblazing.
I think Mr Cash should stop having people call him doctor. What’s wrong with just being a professor.
I actually thought he was a medical doctor and I’m sure others have thought that too.
We don’t go around calling all lawyers a doctor, a JD is a Doctrine of Jurisprudence
Also, you’re trying to make him out to be like Jackie Robinson or somebody like that. TCU having black athletes at that time was so long overdue and says more about the slow progress that TCU had finally made more than it does James Cash’s trailblazing.
Gee you are dumb.

I guess to the extent that some don’t don’t use it, otherwise straight out of Webster’s (well part 3 is paraphrased, but still true).
yes, but esquire was officially used for barristers in England, so it is an actual title and not just to make you look good.
That being said, none of my colleagues or I ever use it.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
yes, but esquire was officially used for barristers in England, so it is an actual title and not just to make you look good.
That being said, none of my colleagues or I ever use it.

Since we don’t have barristers and this is the USA it sounds like BS. Everything I read calls it a courtesy title not an actual award, academic merit or designation.

Brog

We were forced by HC Jamie Dixon to listen to recordings of Mr. Cash at one of the men’s basketball games this past season.
I found the Harvard professor to be very long winded. I didn’t think the recordings would ever end and we would be allowed to watch the rest of the game.

Oh, the humanity!

I’m really not trying to argue with you, however, even the ABA seems to be saying the term Esquire in this country was kind of pulled out of thin air and doesn’t sanction its use (but to be honest I quit reading after a while)...

https://www.abajournal.com/magazine/article/tussle_over_titles
I wasn’t aware that you were strictly limiting the definition to US attorneys. I have no quibble with you, just felt that your original comment could have been a bit harsh.