• The KillerFrogs

KaTron Evans released from Tenn.

We were on his short list before he signed with the Vols

A highly ranked Tennessee signee has officially parted ways with the Vols. Four-star defensive tackle KaTron Evans of St. Frances Academy in Baltimore has received a release from his National Letter of Intent with Tennessee after signing with the Vols in December, according to 247Sports' Steve Wiltfong.

Multiple sources confirmed the news to GoVols247. Evans later announced it in a post on his Twitter account.

”I’ve been let out of my NLI from the university of Tennessee my recruitment is 100% open & No interviews thank you,” he tweeted.

The 6-foot-4, 320-pound Evans became the fourth Tennessee signee to be granted a release from his National Letter of Intent since the Vols' coaching change in January. Four-star defensive end/linebacker Dylan Brooks of Roanoke, Ala., four-star running back Cody Brown of Lilburn, Ga., and offensive lineman J'Marion Gooch of Gallatin, Tenn., also have parted ways with Tennessee since February.

Evans has been the highest-ranked defensive lineman in the Vols' 2021 recruiting class since announcing his commitment to them almost a year ago. He never showed any signs of second-guessing his choice, and he signed with Tennessee in December on the first day of the Early Signing Period.

He was ranked the No. 196 overall prospect and No. 17 defensive tackle in the 2021 class and the No. 9 senior from the state of Maryland, according to the industry-generated 247Sports Composite. He was also rated a four-star prospect by 247Sports.

Evans was one of at least three possible defensive linemen in Tennessee's 2021 signing class, along with Isaac Washington of East Surry High School in Pilot Mountain, N.C. — who joined the Vols in January as an early enrollee — and Amari McNeill, a two-way lineman from Peachtree Ridge High School in Suwanee, Ga. Washington is currently serving an indefinite suspension.

GET VIP ACCESS TO GOVOLS247 — JUST $1 FOR THE FIRST MONTH
A Norfolk, Va., native who transferred to St. Frances during his high school career, Evans named a top eight in April 2020 that also included Auburn, Georgia, Alabama, Florida, USC, TCU and Arizona State before announcing his commitment to the Vols on May 9. His decision came during Tennessee’s nearly monthlong commitment spree under former coach Jeremy Pruitt's staff that started almost a year ago, a run during which the Vols added 14 commitments and climbed to No. 2 nationally in the 247Sports Composite team rankings.

At the time of his commitment, Evans told 247Sports' Brian Dohn that "the culture and the coaching staff" were major factors in his choice. He made two trips to Tennessee's campus after getting his first SEC scholarship offer in March 2018 from the Vols, most recently traveling to Knoxville in June 2019.

38COMMENTS
"I talk to Tennessee a lot and I love the campus," Evans said last year. "I’ve been there two or three times already. I have good relationships with the coaches and I have a (former) teammate there.”

Evans joined Vols redshirt freshman defensive lineman Dominic Bailey, another former four-star prospect, as the second St. Frances defensive lineman in as many years to sign with Tennessee when he finalized his choice in December. Another of Evans' former St. Frances teammates, four-star Class of 2021 linebacker Aaron Willis, also committed to the Vols on May 10 — the day after Evans announced his decision — and signed with them in December before arriving at Tennessee in January as an early enrollee. Willis is currently serving an indefinite suspension.

tcudoc

200.gif

KaTron Guy

Punter1

Travel time is 13 hours and 7 minutes...so yeah, it would take all day.

No boat...when we played in the Independence Bowl in 94 we had a couple guys outta FTW take I 30 to dam near Memphis instead of I 20 to Shreveport.

Whenever I see the distance to Memphis I think of that story...hell, whenever I hear the word Memphis I kinda laugh.

Eight

No boat...when we played in the Independence Bowl in 94 we had a couple guys outta FTW take I 30 to dam near Memphis instead of I 20 to Shreveport.

Whenever I see the distance to Memphis I think of that story...hell, whenever I hear the word Memphis I kinda laugh.

there is an old story that was told by a room mate about a juco cornerback from south carolina in the mid 80's who quit the team one fall

he apparently took the interstate the wrong direction out of ft worth and didn't think to call anyone until he got to arizonia

not sure if this is merely dwight smith was the greatest intrasquad runningback mythology or drunken lies told over pitchers at the pub, but it always made us laugh when he told it

tcudoc

I know someone who was planning a visit from FW to a couple of hours south on I 35 but headed north on I35 instead and did not realize it until they were across the border into Oklahoma. Needless to say, they did not successfully complete the visit that day.
Turns out they put the city name in and chose the wrong one and their navigation system took them the exact opposite direction.

FrogAbroad

"...my recruitment is 100% open & No interviews thank you,” he tweeted."

It's not my intent to pick on the young man, but...how does one get recruited without any interviews? Is there a mail-order DL catalogue I've not heard about?

CryptoMiner

"...my recruitment is 100% open & No interviews thank you,” he tweeted."

It's not my intent to pick on the young man, but...how does one get recruited without any interviews? Is there a mail-order DL catalogue I've not heard about?

He is talking about no interviews for reporters.

PurplFrawg

Administrator
It wasn't all that long ago that 2 high school prospects from Houston were headed to make an official visit to Tech. When they didn't show up, the Tech coaching staff called, only to find out the two of them got lost and were in Nacogdoches.