• The KillerFrogs

The Masters: predictions

Wexahu

Other than Bryson, the swings aren't nearly as "violent" as you may think. First, I think the injuries are a little over-reported. We have better medicine today (meaning the overall state of the industry), and the players make so much money that they can afford to take time off to heal or have surgery. I would venture a guess that players used to just play through a lot things we hear about sidelining players today and got healed up from October through December every year. Now, the season is 12 months, so there's no real off season.

Secondly, the more modern golf swing has a big emphasis on correcting key stress points (mostly the back and neck). You never see the "reverse C" any more with legs and knees running wild ahead of the arms/hands (think Johnny Miller and a young Jack Nicklaus). Lots of emphasis now on rotating the spine on a constant angle by using the core rotation from just below the hips to the shoulders. Nearly all the modern players have benefited from this to some degree, with a few exceptions like Joaquin Neimann who are kind of throwbacks to previous generations.

In contrast, as a whole, these guys practice more than previous generations. So there is the possibility that there is more wear and tear due to that. Even with better technique and conditioning, the golf swing is a very un-natural movement for a human.

Yes, Koepka has had his share of his injuries, and that may just be a result of his particular swing. Koepka does a lot of "unconventional" things in his swing and he hits "against" parts of his body, particularly his hips and knees. There's a lot of active resistance in his swing, especially against his left leg and knee. Don't get me wrong...his swing is fantastic. It just may not be built to last.

These guys are creating outrageous swing speeds for a number of reasons: (1) better swing mechanics; (2) longer/lighter/better shafts; (3) better physical strength and conditioning that is tailored to specifically increase swing speed; (4) many of these guys are simply bigger/better athletes. It's a young man's game because distance rules right now, and young guys are always going to hit it farther than older guys. For better or worse, that's how the game has evolved.

My long two cents...

I think the bold part is key. The modern swing is built around a lot more resistance......generally. Which is not good for longevity.

Maybe I'm imagining things, but guys seem to be breaking down much more and much earlier than in the past.

Frog-in-law1995

Should we also boycott the Australian Masters and the European Masters while were at it? Canada held the Canadian Masters from the mid to late 90s, must’ve been canceled due to racism...

5tqIKjR.jpg

First Tee Frog

I think the bold part is key. The modern swing is built around a lot more resistance......generally. Which is not good for longevity.

Maybe I'm imagining things, but guys seem to be breaking down much more and much earlier than in the past.

there was a time period in the 90’s when Jim McLean popularized the x-factor concept. It was built on a faulty understanding and poor research. Literally zero good instructors are still teaching restricting movement. If you take a lesson from one run because they are stuck about 25 years ago and just no.

Learn something new every day on KFC that I’ll have to unlearn.

Many MLS platforms have adopted this. I occasionally see master in NTREIS but I know the local boards are pushing to have it removed. I taught a fair housing class recently, merely pointing out laws as they exist and got some nasty feedback. Told them that's not me...that's your local, state and national associations. The day Biden took office, NAR sent out memos that should scare any real estate practitioner. In summation...we haven't seen anything yet.

QuilterFrawg

CDR USN (Ret)
Was surprised to learn recently that master bedroom/ bath/suite are no longer considered polite and socially acceptable terms. Who knew my house was racist?

BTW in the annual Tiger vs the field bet , I'm taking the field this year.
This change occurred a while ago. I believe Master bedroom was considered sexist, more than racist. But I'm sure it can be transfigured by the current woke knuckleheads out there to suit their purposes. Just like so many other benign concepts have been transfigured to mean completely other things. Like "woke".

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
What will the Collective do about all those people who spent extra time, extra money, and studied diligently after graduating so they could get a Super Racist Degree?

Will the Wokesters just go all Pol Pot and shoot everybody with glasses because they're an "academic"?

This change occurred a while ago. I believe Master bedroom was considered sexist, more than racist. But I'm sure it can be transfigured by the current woke knuckleheads out there to suit their purposes. Just like so many other benign concepts have been transfigured to mean completely other things. Like "woke".

It was considered racist. I never saw anything from a representative, legislative or advocating body which considered it sexist.

Edit...

I should say I don't recall. I get glossy-eyed when reading through these things. Often are so preposterous that I have to read over it 5 times to figure out what's being said.