• The KillerFrogs

OT: Shawn Bradley left paralyzed after bicycle accident

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Sad story about the former Mavs center ...

BE75ZV2DBBF2BOXUOY2GSR6WIM.jpg

Former NBA center Shawn Bradley paralyzed as result of bike accident

Former NBA center Shawn Bradley suffered a traumatic spinal cord injury that left him paralyzed, according to a statement released on his behalf by the Dallas Mavericks.

On Jan. 20, Bradley was struck from behind by an automobile while riding his bicycle a block from his home in St. George, Utah. He underwent neck fusion surgery and has spent the past eight weeks hospitalized and undergoing rehabilitation.

Read more at https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id...-shawn-bradley-paralyzed-result-bike-accident

froginaustin

Oh man. I hate to hear that.

I hate to hear you say that. I hope there's a chance for meaningful recovery.

I really hate to hear about this sort of accident. I have reached the age when I am being warned of the imminent need for cataract replacement. As it is now, I am stressed as hell driving into a glaring sun. It's easy to miss a bicyclist or pedestrian or an animal or any of the other chaos on an Austin city street.

If I'm worried about it, I'm also worried that there may be an awful lot of people in the same situation that I have, that don't realize they have to worry about it.

YA

I really hate to hear about this sort of accident. I have reached the age when I am being warned of the imminent need for cataract replacement. As it is now, I am stressed as hell driving into a glaring sun. It's easy to miss a bicyclist or pedestrian or an animal or any of the other chaos on an Austin city street.

If I'm worried about it, I'm also worried that there may be an awful lot of people in the same situation that I have, that don't realize they have to worry about it.
My wife had right eye cataract surgery and it was no big deal. 2 weeks tops of drops, etc and good as new.

Froggish

Awful Prayer for his family. Hope he can miraculously recover.

I don't want to be insensitive but how big &*^*#&^ Bike does it take to haul around a 7'6" guy...

FrogAbroad

My spousal unit had both eyes "repaired" via cataract surgery a few years back (not at the same time, of course) (and I got to watch it on CCTV!) and had no issues at all. Couple of days of rest, the usual eye drops routine, and she was better than new, eye-wise. No longer needs contact lenses, uses eyeglasses only for really close-up work, she's quite content with the results.

Austintxfrog94

Just do it. I took some sheet rock to the eye about a decade ago (I guess people should wear eye protection or something) and had to have cataract surgery from that incident. it was a piece of cake. The actual eye exams are worse than the surgery. It's truly a miraculous process and makes you grateful to live in a time where this sort of procedure is so common.

Wexahu

Damn. Prayers up for what always seemed like a really solid dude.

Terrible story. Honestly seemed like too nice a guy to be a professional basketball player, and totally out of place in the NBA culture. But when you're 7'6" and reasonably athletic, what the heck else are you supposed to do? He didn't choose basketball, basketball chose him.

Horny4TCU

I love riding my bike, but hate to ride it on streets. Unless you are willing to travel to bike friendly trails, riding your bike is so dangerous. I see all these dumb people on bike rides on big busy roads... in their spandex, helmets, and that's it. You versus a 2,000lbs to 5,000lbs vehicle and the road. It's like bringing a knife to gun fight. What are you going to do when someone doesn't see you and they're going 45-60/mph?

Zubaz

I love riding my bike, but hate to ride it on streets. Unless you are willing to travel to bike friendly trails, riding your bike is so dangerous. I see all these dumb people on bike rides on big busy roads... in their spandex, helmets, and that's it. You versus a 2,000lbs to 5,000lbs vehicle and the road. It's like bringing a knife to gun fight. What are you going to do when someone doesn't see you and they're going 45-60/mph?
Same. I'm nervous enough about taking a spill, which is good for a broken bone, but when you're on a 2 ft shoulder and getting passed at 45 mph by idiots on their cellphones, you can't help but be nervous.

Hemingway

In my town, there’s a bridge over the river. The pedestrian/bike lane is unprotected. And it’s got a couple of those crosses on it. Without protection it’s just to risky.

Francis Xavier

Same. I'm nervous enough about taking a spill, which is good for a broken bone, but when you're on a 2 ft shoulder and getting passed at 45 mph by idiots on their cellphones, you can't help but be nervous.
I really mean what I am about to say: im under 30. Whether or not anyone has mixed feelings on Covid and the worlds response, when you look at how many people die in and around automobiles, it is a damn travesty we have not done more to stop this. I love cars, love driving, etc. but at this point, the fact that we dont have reduced speed limits, and the fact that we havent limited speeds at which cars can be made to travel is mind boggling. Nevermind the texting thing.

Francis Xavier

There is a certain irony to the fact that , instead of sitting visibly out in the open, cops try and trap people speeding. Forget the money. Fundamentally, if the gov gave a crap about automobile issues, the solution would be to put police every few miles visibly out in the open. Make a PSA about it.

Francis Xavier

As a society, all we heard all year was "The economy is not worth deaths." using that same logic, cars shouldn't be allowed on the road. My gripe with the whole thing is that the entire transportation industry can be fixed with a few solutions. Yea, lots of car companies would be pissed, but you can't shut down the country over a virus , using the above excuse, and not apply it to the other singular thing that takes more deaths in a tragic way than just about anything else. Teens, prom couples, old, young, etc.

Wexahu

I really mean what I am about to say: im under 30. Whether or not anyone has mixed feelings on Covid and the worlds response, when you look at how many people die in and around automobiles, it is a damn travesty we have not done more to stop this. I love cars, love driving, etc. but at this point, the fact that we dont have reduced speed limits, and the fact that we havent limited speeds at which cars can be made to travel is mind boggling. Nevermind the texting thing.

It's mind boggling to you? How low to you propose we reduce the speed limits to? Everywhere I go people are routinely driving 5-10 mph over the way it is now. And what's the max speed that cars should be made to travel? 70? Even if they did that, people could still drive 70 in a 40 mph speed zone.

Besides, I think you'd be surprised how few people are killed by cars going > 90 mph and people exceeding speed limits by excessive amounts. People getting distracted is the main reason there are so many accidents and you could make the argument that making people drive slower will only result in them becoming more distracted.

Francis Xavier

It's mind boggling to you? How low to you propose we reduce the speed limits to? Everywhere I go people are routinely driving 5-10 mph over the way it is now. And what's the max speed that cars should be made to travel? 70? Even if they did that, people could still drive 70 in a 40 mph speed zone.

Besides, I think you'd be surprised how few people are killed by cars going > 90 mph and people exceeding speed limits by excessive amounts. People getting distracted is the main reason there are so many accidents and you could make the argument that making people drive slower will only result in them becoming more distracted.
https://toddminerlaw.com/blog/2019/...ding-is-leading-cause-of-fatal-car-accidents/

Let me know if you want me to cite more because there are at least 10-20 more on pages 1 and 2 of Google.