• The KillerFrogs

FWST: LaDainian Tomlinson challenges TCU to examine its past, ties to racial injustice

tcudoc

The question has been asked about 15 times in this thread about what needs to be taught that is not being taught. I really do want to know. I just wish the person making the claim would answer the question being asked. There’s no way to make an assessment of the claim as it currently stands.
It has not even been acknowledged that the question was asked.

PO Frog

The question has been asked about 15 times in this thread about what needs to be taught that is not being taught. I really do want to know. I just wish the person making the claim would answer the question being asked. There’s no way to make an assessment of the claim as it currently stands.
The question cannot be answered because that would lock in an answer and risk such subject subsequently being taught, thus ending the permanent grievance industry shell game we’ve been subjected to for decades from the Jesse Jacksons and Al Sharptons of the world. Folks that profit handsomely from never actually solving a problem. Has anyone paid much attention to how much money BLM has raised and where it has ended up? Same story, different disguise.

flyfishingfrog

In my view the actual complaint most have is not that we don’t teach facts - it’s the POV or narration that different people disagree with - thus the point that those that win don’t write facts but they do write history

for example Buffalo Soldiers

One view would be that once freed, black males were given the same opportunities to serve their country as their white counterparts

another is that even though “free” men, the black soldiers were still forced to perform tasks and serve in roles beneath the white soldiers as if they were still slaves

another is that once freed, black soldiers used their new freedom to oppress and subjugate another race - the Native American - demonstrating that all people move toward tyranny over others when power is gained through legislation or technology

all would be correct and depending on your POV you might believe one over the others or all at the same time

Paint It Purple

Here. Teach this. Justice Clarence Thomas. An inspirational American Hero.
https://www.justicethomasmovie.com/#trailer

Find the movie and watch. You will not be disappointed.

Paint It Purple

Again, not feasible in the classroom environment where they go thru chapters in books in rapid fire mode. Plus you still didn't address how you would be able to find teachers that would not put their biases & or political views/spins on the subjest matter. We can all say that we want the "real truth", but do we really? Are we truly ready for those true realities and will we accept them without any debate or skepticism? What omissions do you feel need to be taught? I'm sure there are a lot of omissions from text books in different subjects.
Not to pick apart your post. I see your point, but I'm guessing that you would go back and reword this part. "Are we truly ready for those true realities and will we accept them without any debate or skepticism?"

Jared7

Not all TCU has done in the past regarding race is bad. I read a story (in a book, so no link to post) about the Great Debaters. Denzel and Forrest Whittaker were in the movie about it. Historically black university debate team, Wiley College in Texas. Melvin Tolson created this incredible debate team. It took on any takers and challengers and won. Harvard, etc. They were treated horribly everywhere they went, often couldn't actually compete in actual events, had to schedule "practice sessions" to compete against white schools. Usually off campus. So long story short, they debated TCU. TCU was the only southern school that treated them as equals. Let them compete on campus. Let them compete (which Wiley easily won) in an actual contest. Farmer said TCU was a fine school and he and the students were very happy in TCU and the way they were received. The white crowd actually rushed the stage to congratulate Wiley after the contest.

I know this is one small thing, I get that. But it also shows that not everything TCU has in its past in regards to race is horrible.

That's a very interesting story - especially to this former TCU debater. Do you know when it occurred? Or any other details? Are you referring to James Farmer, later the Founder of CORE (the Congress of Racial Equality) and one of the organizers of the 1961 Freedom Rides? Do you know the name of the book? The 2008 movie actually changed the historical facts - Wiley actually debated USC in 1935; not Harvard. At the time, the Trojans were the reigning intercollegiate debate champions. It would be especially significant if this debate took place before 1962, the year that TCU became integrated with Professor Jones.

Because this is a sports forum, I think the 1957 Cotton Bowl also deserves a mention. TCU played Syracuse, whose star was undoubtedly Jim Brown, and got a lot of grief at the time for even playing an integrated team. It was Syracuse's first ever major bowl and at the 50-year anniversary, I remember Brown speaking favorably about both Jim Swink and the Frogs. The game was played without incident; unlike the Cotton Bowl 2 years later when a major brawl erupted between the Syracuse players and the Longhorns. At the time, the Cotton, Sugar and Orange Bowls hadn't invited integrated teams (of the major bowls, only the Rose Bowl did) and the Orange Bowl, a few years before, had even dis-invited the undefeated USF Dons after learning that USF had black players (Baylor got the invite instead). SI labeled that Cotton Bowl as one of the greatest games ever played (TCU won 28-27) in part, I think, because it broke the color line at the Cotton Bowl.

LT's challenge is for us to learn more about some of these stories. Hopefully, others will provide more examples.

Horny4TCU

Can we just move on from this already? How old is TCU and why is this now an issue? First world problems....

Why is this always a black thing?

Why doesn't anyone from another minority have issues? When are we going to cancel the railroads for their treatment of Chinese Immigrants?

When are we going to start hearing from Irish? They were treated horribly here in US and in England. They use the term indentured servant in History books when it should be slave.

When are we going to cancel the Saudi's, because last I check they still practice slavery (under the table, but they do)?

When are we going to cancel China, for their treatment of religious minorities?

There are bigger issues than rewriting history. Couldn't we focus on bringing people up out of poverty and hunger. To me, every and any kid that is currently facing hunger in America is more important. Whether that kid be white, black, brown, red, or yellow we should be ashamed of ourselves for currently allowing this to happen. We don't even need the government to do anything. Someone step up and start delivering extra food to schools, find places to get to these kids and help them. The amount of food waste we have in this country is appalling. Look at what food production companies did durning the pandemic for exhibit A.

Last edited:

Salfrog

Tier 1
Not to pick apart your post. I see your point, but I'm guessing that you would go back and reword this part. "Are we truly ready for those true realities and will we accept them without any debate or skepticism?"

Your version sounds better. You knew what I was trying to say, thanks. I get a bit hazy after a few days in a row of insomnia.

Mean Purple

Agree with him or not, there's no one who has earned the right to express their opinion about TCU more than LaDainian Tomlinson. And the school should absolutely listen to and consider anything he brings up. Key words being listen and consider.

So all those alumni who paid quite a bit of funds to attend TCU have less of a right to express their opinion about TCU?

Endless Purple

So all those alumni who paid quite a bit of funds to attend TCU have less of a right to express their opinion about TCU?

I took countryfrog's post to reference what LT has done as a person to help others, and how he has responded in his liife and as a public TCU figure as to why he earned his say. I did not assume anything about money. Money is actually much of the problem in how people are viewed. Having money does not make you a good person.