• The KillerFrogs

OT - Movies thread

stbrab

Man, 2 movies in a row. Yesterday I watched Arbitrage from 2012 and today I saw the new release The Little Things and both just pull you in with a good 90 minutes of pure awesomeness, then [ #2020 ] all over you with the endings. It’s like the writer’s guild went on strike an hour and a half in and the team from Throw Mama From The Train brought it home. Probably the same crew that scripted Lost. Just terribad.
Frogsxy and I watched last night. We’re both big Denzel fans. I’m not quite as negative about the ending, but generally agree. The ending wasn’t well done. On the whole though, I thought it was pretty good.

JugbandFrog

Frogsxy and I watched last night. We’re both big Denzel fans. I’m not quite as negative about the ending, but generally agree. The ending wasn’t well done. On the whole though, I thought it was pretty good.
I get the ending, and what they were going for, but people generally don’t like endings like that. It doesn’t bring satisfaction the way a movie should.

steelfrog

Tier 1
Steel wonders why there hasn’t yet been a movie about a few thousand armed drones with hive mind AI technology getting off the chain and wreaking havoc. Not as implausible as most of the other apocalyptic fiction people lap up.

Froglaw

Our Girl on Amazon Prime.

Four and one-half stars.

East London girl joins the British army, becomes a medic, and deploys to Afaginistan.

Really top notch BBC production.

God Save the Queen!

Eight

Steel wonders why there hasn’t yet been a movie about a few thousand armed drones with hive mind AI technology getting off the chain and wreaking havoc. Not as implausible as most of the other apocalyptic fiction people lap up.

so basically the terminator or the matrix

For those interested in a little history and how it relates to modern times, I recommend Trumbo (about the Hollywood screenwriter who got caught up in the McCarthy blacklist), and The Trial of the Chicago Seven (about the trial of those accused of inciting riots at the 1968 Democratic Convention). Both are on Netflix.

I don't want this to turn into a political shouting match. Both movies have contemporary meaning, though...watch them and arrive at your own conclusions.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Our Girl on Amazon Prime.

Four and one-half stars.

East London girl joins the British army, becomes a medic, and deploys to Afaginistan.

Really top notch BBC production.

God Save the Queen!

Good recommendation. But although the second season and beyond girl was hotter, the first year girl was more believable and funnier. But still a good series.

Ron Swanson

Good recommendation. But although the second season and beyond girl was hotter, the first year girl was more believable and funnier. But still a good series.
It was weird how they just completely switched main characters. I googled the original girl and saw images of her fat as hell... I’m guessing she got pregnant in real life and put on a ton of weight and the producers just cast a new girl?

Solid show

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
It was weird how they just completely switched main characters. I googled the original girl and saw images of her fat as hell... I’m guessing she got pregnant in real life and put on a ton of weight and the producers just cast a new girl?

Solid show

No, they actually said she went back to Afghanistan. The new one has a completely different name and background. The old one was apparently a regular on BBC’s Eastenders and wanted to go back.

Ron Swanson

No, they actually said she went back to Afghanistan. The new one has a completely different name and background. The old one was apparently a regular on BBC’s Eastenders and wanted to go back.
I know it’s a different character, I just thought it was strange that they switched main characters. The show was called Our Girl in reference to that specific girl and then they just switched main characters in season two. When has that ever happened on a show?

It would be one thing if it was a new girl every season but it was one girl in season one and then another girl in seasons two through four. I guess it’s possible that the original girl wanted to go back to that other show, but I have a hard time believing she would just leave her own show where she is the title character.