• The KillerFrogs

Lubbock A-J: Cumbie gets 3-year, $2.7-million deal as Tech OC

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Cumbie gets 3-year, $2.7-million deal as Tech OC

Don Williams
Lubbock Avalanche-Journal

Texas Tech's compensation agreement with new football offensive coordinator Sonny Cumbie is for three years and $2.7 million.

His annual pay will be $875,000, $900,000 and $925,000 over the next three years, according to a signed offer letter the university released Friday.

Tech hired Cumbie on Dec. 21 from TCU, where he had been on staff for the past seven seasons. He replaced David Yost, who was the offensive coordinator for the first two years of Matt Wells' staff at Tech.

Read more at https://www.lubbockonline.com/story...red-raiders-offensive-coordinator/4181561001/

Eight

Don Williams

Texas Tech's compensation agreement with new football offensive coordinator Sonny Cumbie is for three years and $2.7 million.

His annual pay will be $875,000, $900,000 and $925,000 over the next three years, according to a signed offer letter the university released Friday.

Tech hired Cumbie on Dec. 21 from TCU, where he had been on staff for the past seven seasons. He replaced David Yost, who was the offensive coordinator for the first two years of Matt Wells' staff at Tech.

Read more at https://www.lubbockonline.com/story...red-raiders-offensive-coordinator/4181561001/

who were they negotiating against to pay him that type of money?

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Patterson handcuffed him here, interested to see what he does when he has full control. Their HC sucks but Cumbie will do well there.
I don't really buy that.

The reasoning is, even if he was "handcuffed" by running the ball more than he wanted, that does not explain the terrible execution of whatever plays were called, or the complete lack of coherent game plans, ability to adjust (or lack thereof), cadence of plays called, display of fundamentals at various positions, etcetera. Patterson didn't go out there and "handcuff" him by telling him to make his players look like a panicked mob on the field on Saturdays. That was all on Sonny.

And, ultimately, on GMFP too. He made his move about three years too late, but at least he made it. Let's hope he pulled the correct bad component, and replaces it with a smooth flowing component.

HG73

I don't really buy that.

The reasoning is, even if he was "handcuffed" by running the ball more than he wanted, that does not explain the terrible execution of whatever plays were called, or the complete lack of coherent game plans, ability to adjust (or lack thereof), cadence of plays called, display of fundamentals at various positions, etcetera. Patterson didn't go out there and "handcuff" him by telling him to make his players look like a panicked mob on the field on Saturdays. That was all on Sonny.

And, ultimately, on GMFP too. He made his move about three years too late, but at least he made it. Let's hope he pulled the correct bad component, and replaces it with a smooth flowing component.
How do you really feel?

HG73

Don Williams

Good for him, wish him the best except when he plays us. Quality individual, probably just not a good fit here.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
I don't really buy that.

GP did say at one point his defense was having to play too many minutes when things were rolling.

Chongo94

That has to be coach in waiting money. The word is if Wells doesn’t go to a bowl next season, he’s gone.

Will be interesting to see how all this goes as the recruiting has apparently just fallen off a cliff according to my friends there that follow that stuff.

Last edited:

Froggish

I think there’s plenty of merit to the handcuff argument around Sonny. Having said I don’t think he’ll be all that great at TT either. Regardless of scheme, seems like he has a pretty poor feel for calling a game and I’m not sad to see him leave. The TT ARaid version is a dinosaur that couldn’t leave town quick enough.

The stunner for me is GPs complete buy in to the ARaid in 14 and his 180 in 2017. I thought that was a wise move on his part but I’ll never understand the rehiring of Meacham to call and craft a zone read bulldozer of an offense.

Horny4TCU

Wow.

I know GP didn't want him going full air raid, but his game plans and play calling skills are abysmal.

Tech really showing the value of their degrees, by paying this much to this guy. This puts a whole new meaning to Techtards...

Horny4TCU

thought his contract had expired at tcu and the dollar amount was in response to texas having interest in him
Why would these programs have interest in him?

We witch about a lot on here, but when the worst part of our program can be the future at Tech and UT. It kinda speaks volumes to where we are as a program. Now if only the winning of the conference and natty could happen...

CountryFrog

That has to be coach in waiting money. The word is if Wells doesn’t go to a bowl next season, he’s gone.

Will be interesting to see how all this goes as the recruiting has apparently just fallen off a cliff according to my friends there that follow that stuff.
Wouldn't recruiting have had to be on a cliff at one time before it could fall off said cliff?

Eight

Why would these programs have interest in him?

We witch about a lot on here, but when the worst part of our program can be the future at Tech and UT. It kinda speaks volumes to where we are as a program. Now if only the winning of the conference and natty could happen...

what?