• The KillerFrogs

Herman Getting Walking Papers From CDC?

Frog DJ

What’s your gut tell you on Patterson?
I’m not an insider, like some of the folks on this board, so my opinion is just that - pure supposition, but two factors seem to loom large if CGP is to seriously consider a move to Austin.

1. TCU has him under contract through 2024, and he stands to earn almost $25 million over that time span. That’s more that UT is paying Herman right now, and common sense dictates that CGP wouldn’t give up the job security of TCU for less money, so the Horns would have ante up.

2. That dovetails perfectly into the second factor. Herman has three years left on his current deal, and his buyout is north of $15 million, so that’s a double hit to UT’s pocketbook. Certainly, they are more than capable of easily absorbing that, but it’s still a part of the equation for CDC.

There are several other elements involved - like TCU’s recent run of mediocrity, the increased scrutiny over how CGP runs his program (he’s almost completely autonomous in FW) and he has made it clear he doesn’t want to coach forever. Would UT want someone who is likely to retire in a few years?

So to answer your question about what my gut tells me - I don’t know anything for sure, but I think it’s reasonable to assume CGP doesn’t wind up in Austin. Just my nickel minus three pennies...

Go Frogs!

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I’m not an insider, like some of the folks on this board, so my opinion is just that - pure supposition, but two factors seem to loom large if CGP is to seriously consider a move to Austin.

1. TCU has him under contract through 2024, and he stands to earn almost $25 million over that time span. That’s more that UT is paying Herman right now, and common sense dictates that CGP wouldn’t give up the job security of TCU for less money, so the Horns would have ante up.

2. That dovetails perfectly into the second factor. Herman has three years left on his current deal, and his buyout is north of $15 million, so that’s a double hit to UT’s pocketbook. Certainly, they are more than capable of easily absorbing that, but it’s still a part of the equation for CDC.

There are several other elements involved - like TCU’s recent run of mediocrity, the increased scrutiny over how CGP runs his program (he’s almost completely autonomous in FW) and he has made it clear he doesn’t want to coach forever. Would UT want someone who is likely to retire in a few years?

So to answer your question about what my gut tells me - I don’t know anything for sure, but I think it’s reasonable to assume CGP doesn’t wind up in Austin. Just my nickel minus three pennies...

Go Frogs!
Add to this the fact that GMFP is an introvert, and would likely kill everyone involved with the Longhorn Network within a few days of arriving in Austin...

Frogs1983

I'm guessing there would be a lot fewer new buildings at TCU if not for GP. Maybe it’s just a coincidence...
I certainly appreciate all Gary has done .No doubt things would be very different for TCU regarding facilities, Conference affiliation,etc... without his success here.

I meant no disrespect with my earlier comment,just stating a Coaching business fact of life.

Past success will buy a Coach some time,but eventually it comes down to what are you doing "now".

The past 3 seasons have been mediocre at best. Gary would have been a very attractive HC possibility for UT perhaps 5 years ago. Now, I doubt their powerful Alums would be too excited about a Coach in their late 50's with a 500 record most recently.

I would love for Gary to Coach at TCU until he chooses to retire. That assumes future success, which assumes a change in certain position Coaches,not staying with the status quo.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
I certainly appreciate all Gary has done .No doubt things would be very different for TCU regarding facilities, Conference affiliation,etc... without his success here.

I meant no disrespect with my earlier comment,just stating a Coaching business fact of life.

Past success will buy a Coach some time,but eventually it comes down to what are you doing "now".

The past 3 seasons have been mediocre at best. Gary would have been a very attractive HC possibility for UT perhaps 5 years ago. Now, I doubt their powerful Alums would be too excited about a Coach in their late 50's with a 500 record most recently.

I would love for Gary to Coach at TCU until he chooses to retire. That assumes future success, which assumes a change in certain position Coaches,not staying with the status quo.

I completely understand the sentiment, but I personally experienced far too many decades of the what have you done lately way of doing things with a new coach every 3 years, stadiums that averaged about 25k, sellouts only when UT or Arkansas came to town, etc. You just never know whether things will get better or worse. It has not been TCU’s history to have long tenures of football excellence. GP’s has been the longest by far. We have had exactly 3 other successful coaches that I can recall off the top of my head - Schmidt, Meyers and Martin. I’m guessing our version of Knute Rockne will likely clean house before he is ever fired and will likely be given the opportunity to retire or resign. Believe me, it can always get much worse than the last few years.

Moose Stuff

I completely understand the sentiment, but I personally experienced far too many decades of the what have you done lately way of doing things with a new coach every 3 years, stadiums that averaged about 25k, sellouts only when UT or Arkansas came to town, etc. You just never know whether things will get better or worse. It has not been TCU’s history to have long tenures of football excellence. GP’s has been the longest by far. We have had exactly 3 other successful coaches that I can recall off the top of my head - Schmidt, Meyers and Martin. I’m guessing our version of Knute Rockne will likely clean house before he is ever fired and will likely be given the opportunity to retire or resign. Believe me, it can always get much worse than the last few years.

I would call Fran a success. Brief, but successful.

wilson912

Go Frogs!

well stated. Thanks

jack the frog

Surly is gonna spaz if/when CDC gives Herman a Covid pass for this year. They have flight tracker fired up. Urban is a done deal so say all the in the know contacts lol. We’ll see.

OICU812

I do hope Texas University does hire U.M.
They deserve each other...
GO FROGS!
BEAT OKIE LITE!
Spit Blood~~<~<and fornicate baylor!

None of us should wish for that. Whatever negative things you want to say about him, he is as much of a sure thing that exists in CFB today and has already proven that his act is portable, having done it now at 3 different schools. He'd be a perfect fit for them and would wind up kicking butt in B12.

Wexahu

None of us should wish for that. Whatever negative things you want to say about him, he is as much of a sure thing that exists in CFB today and has already proven that his act is portable, having done it now at 3 different schools. He'd be a perfect fit for them and would wind up kicking butt in B12.

We should all want Herman to stay around as long as possible.

I agree on UM, he's about as sure a thing as exists. Hard to believe he is only 56 years old too.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I really don't think the UT types appreciate the terrible spectre that the Longhorn Network is to any Coach who is considering taking the reins down there. No one wants a camera stuck in their face 8 hours a day, or having to take a moment at all hours to talk to some Network drone. And, the knowledge that some completely innocuous comment made in passing may become a huge controversy for no really good reason would make anyone nervous. I mean, it's not like the job already comes with a lot of stress. "Here! Have another helping! We're your friends!"

Sure. UM is down for that. Uh huh.

OICU812

We should all want Herman to stay around as long as possible.

I agree on UM, he's about as sure a thing as exists. Hard to believe he is only 56 years old too.

Yeah about the only hopeful aspect of Urb's track record is that coaching wears him out quickly so would likely be short tenure in Austin. Small encouragement considering he might leave them in as good a shape as he left tOSU. Looks like Day is going to be running a top-tier program there for a long time.

PO Frog

Agree but might be what the conference needs to bring a little cache back. Would raise our bar but so what? Beat an Urban Meyer UT and a Lincoln Riley OU and you are making some waves in the CFB world. Right now the Big 12 has a pretty bad look going.

Wexahu

Agree but might be what the conference needs to bring a little cache back. Would raise our bar but so what? Beat an Urban Meyer UT and a Lincoln Riley OU and you are making some waves in the CFB world. Right now the Big 12 has a pretty bad look going.

What conference has a good look going other than the SEC?

All that is year to year anyway. 2020 looks bad just because everyone already has at least two losses and isn't in CFP consideration. I think the conference is fine, TCU just needs to win more games.