• The KillerFrogs

2023-2024 European Football Thread

Eight

Maradona was the first truly great player that I got to see in his prime. If all you think about is the hand of God goal in the ‘86 WC then you’ve missed how great he was the entire WC.

RIP Diego

greatness before we had true world wide coverage of sporting events.

watched the 1978 final between the netherlands and argetina on youtube and he was greatness

Eight

Begs the conversation: Richards can grab a UCL start for the biggest club in the world, but can’t manage a cap for the MNT under Berhalter. Smh (granted, Bayern are FC Infirmary currently)

just because he can play for bayern doesn't mean he is a jeff agoos level defender for the us

Purp

T
his club y’all. Locked up top spot in our group, and with two matches left, still the only side with a positive goal differential.

Watching the Salzburg game now. Neuer is the reason they won. Salzburg could have easily been up 3-1 at half. They had a lot of great chances in the 2md half too. In the 78th minute they'd had 15 chances to 8 for Bayern and a 9-3 advantage in shots on target. Everything on frame for Bayern went in; not so for Salzburg.

I'm coming around on @Moose Stuff suggestion of Marsch as the replacement for Berhalter. He had his squad ready to play yesterday.

Purp

Milan vs Lille in the Europa League on TUDN now for anyone waiting around for food.

Ludogorets vs Spurs will be on this afternoon.
That Spurs game was unfair. Kane, Son, Aurier, and Sissoko all sat and they still won easily. Even had a couple backup center backs start, though Davinson Sanchez is a really great backup.

Moose Stuff

Its good to see the federation apparently making an effort to go after these Mexican-American players for once. Feel like we’ve missed out on too many potential depth players because they dragged their heels so often.

Again, I don't know if all or even ANY of these kids end up choosing the US but it's hard to not see that.... one, we are clearly doing a much better job on a staff level at connecting with these guys and two, the players are clearly seeing the young core of this club and realizing what it might become. I'm about 95% convinced the next decade+ of CONCACAF will see the US as the dominant side surpassing Mexico.