• The KillerFrogs

I think we're a year away

Pharm Frog

My vote is to keep Gary through the 2021 season based upon his solely getting us into the P-5 as to give him the benefit of the doubt. Then, if the team doesn't trend up definitively, he gets counseled to retire (ala Darrell Royal, Mack Brown, maybe Abe Martin & Dutch Meyer style).. I love Gary as much or more than anyone and so want him to make another successful run and think that it's quite possible for him to do so.

I would agree with this had it been posted in late October 2018. That would have been one year after he said he should have built the depth to win in this conference.

Pharm Frog

I could get behind that, it was a serious coup d'etat to get is back into the power 5, does seem like he's earned it, even though I think the outcome is somewhat predictable.

How many players do you want to lose? How many years do you give a new OC to recruit for and implement his system? If you think the outcome is predictable you have a fiduciary duty to change. So many people with sentimental inclinations. Understandable yet destructive.

Eight

I could get behind that, it was a serious coup d'etat to get is back into the power 5, does seem like he's earned it, even though I think the outcome is somewhat predictable.

earned it?

he is among the top 10 paid coaches in college football and gone 29-23 overall in his last 4 seasons and 18-18 in conference play. add in the four games this year and that goes to 30-26 overall and 19-21 in conference play.

think the tab is pretty close to paid

Froggy Style

We're a year away from having 9 NFL players on the team and still missing a bowl game due to bad offensive and defensive schemes. That was a year in the past. We aren't getting better...we're getting worse. The problem is the coaching...not the talent. Off years just means 2 wins rather than 5.

Snoop1122

This is all very true. Honestly, I agree with the main poster on this thread. Also, Donati and those over him probably wait to see if there's improvement next year.

JAB331

earned it?

he is among the top 10 paid coaches in college football and gone 29-23 overall in his last 4 seasons and 18-18 in conference play. add in the four games this year and that goes to 30-26 overall and 19-21 in conference play.

think the tab is pretty close to paid
What's the price for P5 inclusion? Pretty close to priceless I'd say. It doesn't matter though, his contract goes to 2022, and so we're asking, not telling. We need to come to a position Gary would say was fair, and having hired all these "new" coaches, he's going to want more than just a abbreviated COVID19 season to see how things play out - even though the rest of us can predictable figure out what that will be.

Eight

What's the price for P5 inclusion? Pretty close to priceless I'd say. It doesn't matter though, his contract goes to 2022, and so we're asking, not telling. We need to come to a position Gary would say was fair, and having hired all these "new" coaches, he's going to want more than just a abbreviated COVID19 season to see how things play out - even though the rest of us can predictable figure out what that will be.

would say 5M a year is the price for p5 inclusion and with that comes expectations.

come to a postion gary would say is fair? you are kidding right?

these aren't problems unique to this teams and this season. as many have posted these are recurrent problems that he doesn't show signs of be willing to deal with as he rehired an offensive coach he basically fired and moved back an offensive line coach he moved out of that position once before

we are well past fair and he has been duly compensated for what he has done at tcu

JAB331

would say 5M a year is the price for p5 inclusion and with that comes expectations.

come to a postion gary would say is fair? you are kidding right?

No, I'm not. If his contract goes to 2024 then he likely has a strong negotiating position. I'm guessing he has a very favorable cancelation clause, and we're not a university of unlimited means. Like it or not, we're going to need his buy-in.

Now as for the rest of you post, I totally agree.

netty2424

This is a tough one. I don’t see a path where GP cleans house and starts over.

Is it possible that GP has had, or will have a hard time finding an OC worth his salt that would actually want to come work for GP?

What well respected OC is going to come in here and get throttled by GP’s ridiculous ‘protect my defense’ mentality.

And what up and coming OC is going to put up with GP’s antics. It just won’t mesh.

So where does that leave GP in this equation?

Paul in uhh

Look, we have bad lines. Lost a ton of talent from last year's lines, and, as we can see on the field, they haven't "grown up yet." Bad lines make everything look bad, and its frustrating as hell. I went to work at 17-0, knowing that this just isn't the year for us.

However, considering all the players coming back next year on the lines, they will only be that much better and have a ton of experience. That combined with a seasoned Max in his junior year, the stable of incredibly talented RBs and receivers, not to mention TEs, I think we make a run for Big XII championship next year.

I know you guys will pillory me for this post, but that's how I see it.
I want to believe.

I don’t.