• The KillerFrogs

Other Games Oct 17

Does Kansas have the same offense as TCU? RPO, spread...I don't like that TCU has a similar offense as Kansas. They are using Pooka like TCU uses Spielman/Barber. WR and RBs going east and west...lots of end arounds. Difference is Duggan runs too much and they let Pooka run most plays. They even get flags against the OL every other positive play.

Wexahu

Watching Aggy at Ms. State...

It very much reminds me of watching 1.) Our present-day offense, vs. 2.) Our 2014 defense.

It really does. Going against a 3-man front and can’t do anything because there are guys all over the short and intermediate passing lanes and can’t run because all runs are slow developing and give the defenders time to adjust.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
It really does. Going against a 3-man front and can’t do anything because there are guys all over the short and intermediate passing lanes and can’t run because all runs are slow developing and give the defenders time to adjust.
What kills me about that, is that as you and I have discussed before, football is a game of adjustments. People (like GMFP in 2006) adjusted to the Air Raid, and slowly those adjustments have made their way across the nation. Now, it is common knowledge how to defeat the Air Raid, and we are looking at it.

That is not to say that there are elements of that offense that are good, and usable. There are, but in their own time and with the right personnel (and the wrong defensive folks on the field). I keep thinking that offensively, we are standing in front of the Chinese Buffet and only getting one or two items, while there are so many tasty alternatives!

Wexahu

What kills me about that, is that as you and I have discussed before, football is a game of adjustments. People (like GMFP in 2006) adjusted to the Air Raid, and slowly those adjustments have made their way across the nation. Now, it is common knowledge how to defeat the Air Raid, and we are looking at it.

That is not to say that there are elements of that offense that are good, and usable. There are, but in their own time and with the right personnel (and the wrong defensive folks on the field). I keep thinking that offensively, we are standing in front of the Chinese Buffet and only getting one or two items, while there are so many tasty alternatives!

Just theorizing here, but it might be that some guys are true believers, in that they believe so much in their system that a stubbornness sets in, partly because of ego and partly because they know no other way. BTW, I'd put Leach more into that category than GP but I do think Meacham is a true believer in the Air Raid concepts. He'll probably be writing books about it (that noone will read) when he's 80 years old.

Last edited:

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Just theorizing here, but it might be that some guys are true believers, in that they believe so much in their system that a stubbornness sets it, partly because of ego and partly because they know no other way. BTW, I'd put Leach more into that category than GP but I do think Meacham is a true believer in the Air Raid concepts. He'll probably be writing books about it (that noone will read) when he's 80 years old.
Agreed.

An elasticity of mind is a must-have in the ever changing world of sport. There never really is a permanent "right" way to do anything. Someone cleverer than yourself will always find a way...

Pharm Frog

Watching Arkie play football brings back painful memories. Hard to fathom how we end up losing to a team that year after year seems hellbent on trying to lose games.

JugbandFrog

Agreed.

An elasticity of mind is a must-have in the ever changing world of sport. There never really is a permanent "right" way to do anything. Someone cleverer than yourself will always find a way...
Which is why I have been advocating for LHCGP to take a more CEO/Saban role. He can have core beliefs, but they evolve with the people you bring in and coach to be competent.