• The KillerFrogs

247 Sports: Joel Klatt rips officiating in TCU-Texas game

Zubaz

Why would they kick it? Just let the second run off and take a knee.
Because it wouldn't be our ball at that point.

If the officials had reviewed the play and put a second or two back on the clock, Herman would have been left with two options: Accept the holding penalty, which would have been half the distance to the goal and TCU ball on 4th Down with :02 left, or decline the penalty, in which case safety would count, and TCU would have to free kick with :02 left.

However, since officials had ruled the clock had expired, the free kick wasn't an option because the safety ended the game. The Big 12 clarified that Texas should have had the option to accept the penalty and force TCU to take a snap for 1 untimed down, and we would have just taken a knee or whatever, but it would have been more of a chance than accepting the safety and the game being over.

Zubaz

Klatt's greater point about the officiating is true though. They were being incredibly tickey-tack and it destroyed any flow of the game. Ridiculous enforcement of offsides on the opening kickoff (twice) set the tone. Then it took them 4 minutes to remember that you can't have PI and Targeting enforced on the same play, and finally they didn't know what happened on the last play even though that's well established, so on and so on. It was brutal, and the major reason the dang game took over 4 hours to complete.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Klatt's greater point about the officiating is true though. They were being incredibly tickey-tack and it destroyed any flow of the game. Ridiculous enforcement of offsides on the opening kickoff (twice) set the tone. Then it took them 4 minutes to remember that you can't have PI and Targeting enforced on the same play, and finally they didn't know what happened on the last play even though that's well established, so on and so on. It was brutal, and the major reason the dang game took over 4 hours to complete.
I commented to a friend in the 2nd qtr the game was going to take 5 hours to play.

froginmn

The officiating was bad, and I do think we got away with one at the end.

We should have had to kick/punt from the 20 with one second on the clock, after the safety. Smart thing would be to punt out of bounds, leaving UT with one play from somewhere near the 50.

And with the way our defense was playing, I can't say for certain that we would have won.

Brog

If a second was put back on the clock, there would have been no return. Duggan just does the same thing without a holding penalty. I was glad to see a winning end of game strategy. I remember the Arkansas game where Hill could have gone down at the 1 instead of scoring. We would have run out the clock and Arkansas would not have won.

Strange that Klatt doesn't seem to know that, isn't it?

tcumaniac

Officiating quality aside, I do find it quite rich how many UT fans I know that are blaming their loss on the refs. Oh the irony.

dawg

A very well-known sports personality and the guy who announced the TCU/UT game for Fox. He’s always come off as reasonable to me and especially fair to the Big 12.

I love Joel Klatt. He doesn’t buy into the SEC hype machine and acknowledges they do play football in places other than the South.

Probably the best college football analyst in the country.

Yep. He doesn't gobble secsecsec [ the old ricardo ] like everyone on ESecPN, and, as a side benefit, he trolls aggy constantly. He also has a catchy theme song. Just two words. Easy to learn and sing along with.

Mean Purple

If you’ve had the experience of listening to a SEC radio broadcast like Georgia Bulldog Football Radio. You’ll then truly know what biased commentary sounds like.
I'd say that for several SEC schools. But the Georgia broadcasts are almost too good to miss. They broke to their sideline guy just before kick off for the Deep South and he was amped up to get a win against the "kitty cats". As someone who follows Auburn, I actually thought it was great. I love how those announcer get into it over there. I catch various coaches shows around the south and Georgia always has Georgia's Own Credit Union called out as a sponsor. I'm still waiting to hear them change the tagline for it for the cocktail party " ... it's your credit, own it" to "it's your credit, unless you're from Florida."

edit: of course, the changed tagline would work even better if they had Barbara Dooley do it.

(we heard her at a lunch in Georgia once. she is one of the greats.)

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
In Texas, nobody was worse than Frank Fallon.
Well, considering who he was calling...

I must say, I don't think I've ever laughed harder at a college football broadcast than listening to Dave South calling the A&M-Baylor game with RGIII laying like 60 points on them. In College Station. I was putting out hay in the tractor and had the game on the radio, laughing so hard I was practically crying. My poor wife thought I was dying or something...

Froglaw

The officiating was bad, and I do think we got away with one at the end.

We should have had to kick/punt from the 20 with one second on the clock, after the safety. Smart thing would be to punt out of bounds, leaving UT with one play from somewhere near the 50.

And with the way our defense was playing, I can't say for certain that we would have won.

Can a free kick be kicked out of bounds without a penalty?

Pharm Frog

Can a free kick be kicked out of bounds without a penalty?

I think a penalty is assessed if a free kick goes OOB or if the kicking team is the last to touch the ball prior to the ball going OOB before it reaches the goal line.

EDIT: I think the penalty could be taking the ball at the OOB spot or 25 yards from where the kick occurred. Might be 30 yards for a post-safety free kick though.