• The KillerFrogs

Offseason Cord Cutting: YouTube TV or Hulu TV?

Double D

Tier 1
As of October 1, YouTubeTV dropped the Fox Regional sports network as their agreement they made with Sinclair in April expired. Not critical for me now with Stars and Rangers done for a while. It will be interesting to see if they get it figured out.

HG73

Non technical person here, how do we listen to the game on the radio? What station is the "Horned frogs sports network?"

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
After about a year with Fubo, and a short time with YouTube, I think the YouTube product is far superior. Annoyed about the FOX thing, but, eh.

westoverhillbilly

Wife and I cut the chord for good end of August, even though we had been experimenting with AT&T TV Now before on an account we set up for our daughter in D.C.- we pay $5 more to get to have 3 units on at any time.. We dropped Directv (AT&T) and good riddance regarding their constantly increasing our monthly bills after I would negotiate a deal that was supposed to be good for a year- a deal means nothing to those people. Streaming on ATT TV takes alot of getting used to.. Takes alot of scrolling to get to your desired channel- I do miss keying in the channel numbers on directv though.

flyfishingfrog

ok - hate to dredge up an old thread but this old man needs a question answered that I can't find anywhere. For those of you that cut the cord and dropped DirecTV - do any of you still stream or have access to the local network stations? if so, how did you do it?

I looked for a streaming service that served the local DFW area - but could not find one.

Are you using an HDTV antennae or something else?

Eight

ok - hate to dredge up an old thread but this old man needs a question answered that I can't find anywhere. For those of you that cut the cord and dropped DirecTV - do any of you still stream or have access to the local network stations? if so, how did you do it?

I looked for a streaming service that served the local DFW area - but could not find one.

use utube and they have access to the local network channels

believe there are others, but only know for sure about utube

Ya toob and Haloo have the big 4 local and PBS but a mash of the rest. Sling only has 4 and 5 but gives you and adapter to get most of the other locals but you can only record 4 and 5. I had Vue since it's inception until January of 2020 when it went away. Then signed up for YT. Kept it and added Hulu last spring bc my wife wanted the lifetime options. So I paid for both until last month. Then I decided to give Sling a try. It's not bad but it's slow. Overall, nothing is perfect and I'm tempted to go back to DTV for at least a year just to get the discounted rate. Plus, we're building out in Granbury and I have no clue what the wifi sitch is.

Pharm Frog

Ya toob and Haloo have the big 4 local and PBS but a mash of the rest. Sling only has 4 and 5 but gives you and adapter to get most of the other locals but you can only record 4 and 5. I had Vue since it's inception until January of 2020 when it went away. Then signed up for YT. Kept it and added Hulu last spring bc my wife wanted the lifetime options. So I paid for both until last month. Then I decided to give Sling a try. It's not bad but it's slow. Overall, nothing is perfect and I'm tempted to go back to DTV for at least a year just to get the discounted rate. Plus, we're building out in Granbury and I have no clue what the wifi sitch is.

Depends on where you are building as to WiFi options. Last night at about 8p I was getting 235mbps from Spectrum. Tonight I’m at 194. My father (only four miles from me) had access to U-verse (I didn’t) and his WiFi was even faster.

flyfishingfrog

use utube and they have access to the local network channels

believe there are others, but only know for sure about utube
thanks - that seems to be the simplest approach.

Probably going to have to go FOBUtv since like a bunch of the guys on here - have to be able to stream Hallmark channels for my wife and that is the only one that has local tv and Hallmark for her.

Guess I will trial it and see how it works for her since she is the one that wants both and I could not care less for either.

Eight

thanks - that seems to be the simplest approach.

Probably going to have to go FOBUtv since like a bunch of the guys on here - have to be able to stream Hallmark channels for my wife and that is the only one that has local tv and Hallmark for her.

Guess I will trial it and see how it works for her since she is the one that wants both and I could not care less for either.

son had fobu for a period of time to get the astro games and had no big issues

phormer summed it up well that each option has pluses and minuses. best to me is what you are suggesting. decide what are the deal breakers are, use the trial options and try the user interfaces etc....

Endless Purple

About 10 years ago I bought a Mohu antenna for like $50. So about $5 a year (and dropping) for over the air HD TV. Go out to sports bars for sporting events to watch that I don't attend or TCU radio for baseball. There are also a lot of over the air channels most don't realize. For example, there are like 5 CBS channels (11.1, 11.2, 11.3, 11.4, 11.5 in Houston).

To be fair, I do not watch a lot of other random (non-TCU) sports events and no professional games, but many are over the air still.

Double D

Tier 1
I'm using YouTube TV and have this monster in attic for local stations.
IMG_1152.JPG

YA

I tried YouTube TV last year and it didn't have a dedicated guide that I could find without some sort of hassle going thru Amazon fire. Gladly pay extra to have a guide thru Direct.