• The KillerFrogs

I wondered why Duggan didn't start while watching the 2nd half

froginmn

So that particular post indicates the coaches were trying to ease him back in. Makes sense now. He certainly will be tested this weekend in Austin. I wonder if the coaches will let him play all 4 quarters.
I wonder if that is Colin Post's nickname?

LOL

cheese83

Whether anyone believes GP or not he stated the plan was to give Max only 2 possessions due to stamina issues and having only been in 6 practices. When those two possessions went well from a stamina perspective they decided to leave him in there. They really didn’t want to play him at all and wanted to save him for UT. I get why people wish he would have played the whole game but if they held him out due to conditioning concerns than the logic was sound.

It was a 10-7 game late in the first half until of our statue of a LT decided to take a knap. Ultimately we lost that game because GPs defense once again became a slot machine at the games most critical moments.

They wanted to ease him in but called 3 QB runs his first series?

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
They wanted to ease him in but called 3 QB runs his first series?
I was gonna say...

That was a mystery to me. Of course, it could have been that Max hisownself simply hung onto the ball and took a few hits just to 1.) Get back into the game with authoritah! And, 2.) Prove to the Coaches that he can take it.

CountryFrog

Absolutely. People on here freak out about a couple down years, but QB play has been the biggest issue. The SR year was rough, and Max's true freshman year was a bad situation given the fact that JR didn't pan out either.

But Max as a Soph, Jr, and Sr may very well be something special, which will allow this team to be very good.
Lot of truth here. Getting good QB play would make a huge difference after 2 years of bad QB play and losing a bunch of close games.

That's why my biggest concern from Saturday was the defensive performance. A lot of the offensive issues can be solved just by Max being the guy that most of us think he can be. The defensive issues aren't as simple.

Mean Purple

I agree 100%. Unless there was some very good reason to hold him out for the first half, this was a HUGE mistake on the part of the coaches. I am convinced after re-watching some of the game that Max might have hit some of those passes that Downing was unable to make. Max's passes look much better this year - accurate and crisp. He's not throwing bullets, and his long passes were spot on. I was impressed with what I saw - especially for only 2 quarters.

I think we would have won the game with Max starting. It's one of the strangest decisions I have seen them make. With all those offensive geniuses on staff, how did any of them think this was the right call? Downing, although he was not completely terrible, definitely does not have the 'it" factor going on. Max does. It was easy to see that after the 1st quarter.

Another winnable game flushed down the toilet by bad decision making by the coaching staff. Well that, and a terrible OL effort. That was another coaching disaster.

They better get it figured out by Saturday or the Horns will have a field day.
yeah, not the first time they have done this. heck, start of last season. Max was on his game. And yes, his passing looked way better. After seeing how Downing could spin it, I wondered if he had the better arm. But Downing was stone feet. Just waited too long to move.

Mean Purple

Lot of truth here. Getting good QB play would make a huge difference after 2 years of bad QB play and losing a bunch of close games.

That's why my biggest concern from Saturday was the defensive performance. A lot of the offensive issues can be solved just by Max being the guy that most of us think he can be. The defensive issues aren't as simple.
Yeah, but how much of this could be that the Frogs need to accept that football has changes and teams are not going to hold offenses to 14 points or less these days. Keep the action in front of you and get your offense to score. Leaving the back door open just gets ya burned.

steelfrog

Tier 1
I agree 100%. Unless there was some very good reason to hold him out for the first half, this was a HUGE mistake on the part of the coaches. I am convinced after re-watching some of the game that Max might have hit some of those passes that Downing was unable to make. Max's passes look much better this year - accurate and crisp. He's not throwing bullets, and his long passes were spot on. I was impressed with what I saw - especially for only 2 quarters.

I think we would have won the game with Max starting. It's one of the strangest decisions I have seen them make. With all those offensive geniuses on staff, how did any of them think this was the right call? Downing, although he was not completely terrible, definitely does not have the 'it" factor going on. Max does. It was easy to see that after the 1st quarter.

Another winnable game flushed down the toilet by bad decision making by the coaching staff. Well that, and a terrible OL effort. That was another coaching disaster.

They better get it figured out by Saturday or the Horns will have a field day.

Lisa LT has Steel hot right now!

as steel was sitting there watching, there is NO WAY a coach looks at Downings popgun of an arm in months of practice and concludes that he should ever start a game

steel surmised that’s there were some promises made to get a big time transfer from big hot S Georgia and that promise cost us the game. Dugan starts from the get ho, we win that game

that is all

thread locked!

HG73

Lisa LT has Steel hot right now!

as steel was sitting there watching, there is NO WAY a coach looks at Downings popgun of an arm in months of practice and concludes that he should ever start a game

steel surmised that’s there were some promises made to get a big time transfer from big hot S Georgia and that promise cost us the game. Dugan starts from the get ho, we win that game

that is all

thread locked!
Brain locked.

why wouldn't they as they weren't exactly burning a great deal of clock when you are going 75 yards on one play and then another 75 yards on just three plays

They didn't know that before hand... its just a mental thing... teams run less when they fall behind. Not saying they should or shouldn't and one dimensional offense is easier to defend.

Eight

They didn't know that before hand... its just a mental thing... teams run less when they fall behind. Not saying they should or shouldn't and one dimensional offense is easier to defend.

the only people who think that way are sonny and doug

if you have watched iowa state much they stick to the plan and don't panic so they weren't going away from the run game in the second quarter

CountryFrog

Yeah, but how much of this could be that the Frogs need to accept that football has changes and teams are not going to hold offenses to 14 points or less these days. Keep the action in front of you and get your offense to score. Leaving the back door open just gets ya burned.
I generally agree but there's no reason we shouldn't be able to keep ISU under 21 after Lousiana held them to 17.

It's extremely frustrating to watch ISU look like [ Finebaum ] on offense against virtually everyone the last 2 years but have their way with the TCU defense. 86 points in 2 games is totally inexcusable. I know some of those points are due to offensive mistakes but hell I'd say even 56 points is too much in 2 games considering how bad that offense looks against everyone else.

I generally agree but there's no reason we shouldn't be able to keep ISU under 21 after Lousiana held them to 17.

It's extremely frustrating to watch ISU look like [ Cumbie’s red zone playcalling ] on offense against virtually everyone the last 2 years but have their way with the TCU defense. 86 points in 2 games is totally inexcusable. I know some of those points are due to offensive mistakes but hell I'd say even 56 points is too much in 2 games considering how bad that offense looks against everyone else.

FACTS