• The KillerFrogs

Offensive line was not good

JugbandFrog

There is always a constant in football. The team who's defensive line can beat the opponents offensive line is gonna win. And their war daddies pushed our O-line around quite a bit.
I think everyone sees the O-line problem.

But how about our D-line? How do folks feel they did? Not just on some plays, but whole game wise. Because it seemed like last year.
Bethley was a force, but they started running away from him/double teaming him.
Our Ends weren’t bad. They weren’t consistently giving up the outside, and outside of generating sacks, did ok.

Eight

did colt play any this last week?

don't seem to remember him in and the game stats don't show him playing in the game

Mean Purple

Bethley was a force, but they started running away from him/double teaming him.
Our Ends weren’t bad. They weren’t consistently giving up the outside, and outside of generating sacks, did ok.
Just seems like they did not get enough pressure on the qb. and some big plays were given up. One wouldn't think GP's over complicated scheme would impact the D line that much.

Wexahu

Just seems like they did not get enough pressure on the qb. and some big plays were given up. One wouldn't think GP's over complicated scheme would impact the D line that much.

I think we're going to have a lot of trouble pressuring the QB with our front 4 all year. Gonna have to find another way.

Moose Stuff

There is always a constant in football. The team who's defensive line can beat the opponents offensive line is gonna win. And their war daddies pushed our O-line around quite a bit.
I think everyone sees the O-line problem.

But how about our D-line? How do folks feel they did? Not just on some plays, but whole game wise. Because it seemed like last year.

I mean we had 499 yards and scored 4 TD's on offense in a game our backup QB played the first half. I just don't feel like their DL/our OL cost us the game. It was actually the other DL/OL battle that was the difference IMO.

Hell if you want to get right down to it you can ignore both and chalk it up to not starting Max, missing a FG, and losing the TO battle. We probably win by 10 without those factors.

jake102

I mean we had 499 yards and scored 4 TD's on offense in a game our backup QB played the first half. I just don't feel like their DL/our OL cost is the game. It was actually the other DL/OL battle that was the difference IMO.

I wonder if ISU's secondary was just total garbage. In particular thinking about the long Lynn TD on busted coverage and the last hail mary to Conwright when the game was over.

I'd probably agree that our DL vs their OL was ultimately a bigger issue, especially if you ignore the 1H when stone feet Downing was in the game. But to the DL credit, supposedly the guy who has been playing the best (Cooper) was out for the entire game. Maybe you get him in there and feel good about 3/4ths of the DL and things change. You can potentially mask one weakness (Workman), but masking two of them (Misi/Ellis and Workman) is too much

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I wonder if ISU's secondary was just total garbage. In particular thinking about the long Lynn TD on busted coverage and the last hail mary to Conwright when the game was over.

I'd probably agree that our DL vs their OL was ultimately a bigger issue, especially if you ignore the 1H when stone feet Downing was in the game. But to the DL credit, supposedly the guy who has been playing the best (Cooper) was out for the entire game. Maybe you get him in there and feel good about 3/4ths of the DL and things change. You can potentially mask one weakness (Workman), but masking two of them (Misi/Ellis and Workman) is too much
I thought everybody was wearing a mask.

Moose Stuff

It stuns me that Misi is a 2nd string DT for us. We have to be better at that spot.

jake102

sorrels didn't play, don't remember colt and he was the frogs best de at the end of the year, bowen was at defensive tackle for goodness sake

The Colt Ellison thing makes no sense. He was much better than Workman at the end of last year.... now he's 3rd string?!?

Eight

The Colt Ellison thing makes no sense. He was much better than Workman at the end of last year.... now he's 3rd string?!?

thought colt was their best de at the end of the year and he doesn't see the field

no coleman, brooks gets token time, don't really remember horton much, and don't really remember that much from the dtackles

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
It's safe to say something doesn't add up. These guys ALL didn't play because they weren't good enough. I refuse to believe that.
To vamp on a Shag thread of some years ago: "GMFP lost the game ON PURPOSE just so he could throw Mensa into confusion!"

Eight

the defensive front against texas is the bigger concern for me after saturday

the offensive line wasn't good in pass pro, but they didn't do much to help the linemen with the big splits and 5-wides

figure out pass pro, how to maximize the talent of the backs, target quentin more than twice and see what happens

defensively, something just wasn't right with that depth chart and rotation and we saw it on the field

cooper back would be a good place to start

Moose Stuff

the defensive front against texas is the bigger concern for me after saturday

the offensive line wasn't good in pass pro, but they didn't do much to help the linemen with the big splits and 5-wides

figure out pass pro, how to maximize the talent of the backs, target quentin more than twice and see what happens

defensively, something just wasn't right with that depth chart and rotation and we saw it on the field

cooper back would be a good place to start

I'd rather pull one of the DL of the field, go with 3 linemen, and get Brooks on the field for about 30-40 more snaps than see what we saw vs ISU.