• The KillerFrogs

DMN: Patterson says he’s to blame for 37-34 loss against Iowa State

Mean Purple

So, basically the same as the last 2 years. If the defense is "complicated" and keeps being an issue, make a frickin change in scheme.

“I just think we have to play better as a defense. It really came down to five plays and those five plays really hurt us. It all really comes down to execution. We really hurt ourselves with those five plays which is why the score went up on us.”

“At the end of the day, it comes down to one simple thing, which is execution. Like I said, we all have to play better, we all have to tackle better. It’s the first game, I’m not letting anything go, but we definitely need to play better and come tomorrow ready to work and ready to get better. Get better at the little things like tackling, execution, playing our defense how it’s supposed to be played. Those little things are going to take us a long way. When you see the breakdown of those plays and you see what happened and went wrong and you see what you can get better at moving forward.”

Mean Purple

Duggan sitting was team rules going back to Summer.
People keep saying that he was suspended, or reports say he was suspended. Is there anything that has been confirmed?
All players knew the rules were gonna be tight this year if they wanted to play. The whole "bubble" can't be broken thing has really gone primary.
I just figure he did not play the first half because Downing had had more reps.

CountryFrog

we don't have to know the why's of the decisions, but i do think what most alums/ supporters would like to see is that decisions with some logic that has this team headed in the direction needed to compete

if max was suspended, that is an internal matter and we don't need to know the why, the team does, and they know players are held accountable

if max didn't that raises an issue, similar to how in the world some receivers got rotated in an others sat, or some players returned kick offs and looked like they were jogging while a punt returner for example looked dangerous, or the decision to go away from the run game etc...

guess in the end we have heard the "its my fault speech before" and it start to ring hollow when we get a 2016 reboot

this week is big not in do the frogs win or not, but do we try the same things again this week that we struggled with last week instead of playing to strengths, if we see an emphasis on the scheme instead of maximizing players and match ups
Oh it absolutely rings hollow after a while. I'm not denying that. There's just not anything he can do in a press conference to actually fix anything so I don't really give a scheiss what he says or doesn't say.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
And one of the worst OL.

for the best running back group we have ever had, we sure did average 2.3 ypc.
What 8 said above. I will add that run blocking is different from pass blocking, and I think the confidence building that comes from lineman knocking their opponent on their ass play after play helps. Run plays allow bigger lineman to dole out the whacks.

Again, perhaps one player is better than another in run vs. pass. I don't know.

Wexahu

this week is big not in do the frogs win or not, but do we try the same things again this week that we struggled with last week instead of playing to strengths, if we see an emphasis on the scheme instead of maximizing players and match ups

Meacham will go to his grave defending the scheme. He's a true believer IMO. Not as sure about Cumbie. Unfortunately that stuff isn't innovative anymore, it's old and stale. But since it involves lots of passing most people don't see it that way.

Mean Purple

Meacham will go to his grave defending the scheme. He's a true believer IMO. Not as sure about Cumbie. Unfortunately that stuff isn't innovative anymore, it's old and stale. But since it involves lots of passing most people don't see it that way.
When it is done right, it works. In that respect, it really is about execution. LSU can attest to that after Saturday.
Granted, we do something a little different. I actually liked the offensive scheme we used Saturday. In the second half when they executed it quicker, it moved.

LoudFrog

DMN: Patterson says he’s to blame for 37-34 loss against Iowa State

Here are the highlights from TCU’s postgame press conferences following their 37-34 loss against Iowa State:

Head Coach Gary Patterson
On the quarterback decision

“The offense talked and they just felt like they wanted to switch. I thought Max (Duggan) started slow and just got better as he went on. We needed a guy who could scramble and run.”

On Saturday being the first game

“We don’t make excuses. Obviously, we would have been better on both sides of the ball because you know what you have. Today we didn’t have it and we had to play better. ... There is only one guy to blame, I am supposed to be the guy to get them ready and today I didn’t do that.”

On TCU making the game close

“We came to play. You have to play to win. That’s what they did when I came here 23 years ago. You have to get ready for the games you are supposed to win, let the big games play themselves out. For two years in a row, Iowa State has had our number. We have to do a lot better job against a lot more physical teams.”

Read more at https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/t...-blame-for-the-37-34-loss-against-iowa-state/
Here is an answer, at the end of the day it is the coaches responsibility to manage his team. Sometimes people throw a summer party and you have a covid outbreak that lead to consequences medical and disciplinary. Sometimes young kids partake in things that might not yet be legal. Is it the coaches fault for not having control or the kids fault for being selfish and immature. We could win or we could teach both lessons

Eight

what is interesting is the pirate goes to miss st, brings in a transfer qb from stanford who isn't running his offense, has personnel who weren't running his offense last year, not sure if they went through spring, and somehow the players know the offense well know and execute it properly enough to drop 600+ yards and i think 42 points on lsu.

Fosterpark Squatter

what is interesting is the pirate goes to miss st, brings in a transfer qb from stanford who isn't running his offense, has personnel who weren't running his offense last year, not sure if they went through spring, and somehow the players know the offense well know and execute it properly enough to drop 600+ yards and i think 42 points on lsu.
While not as impressive a performance Duggan still managed to get 3 tds in just a half, imagine it he'd played the whole game.

BABYFACE

People keep saying that he was suspended, or reports say he was suspended. Is there anything that has been confirmed?
All players knew the rules were gonna be tight this year if they wanted to play. The whole "bubble" can't be broken thing has really gone primary.
I just figure he did not play the first half because Downing had had more reps.
There is rumor that this went back to an incident in June. College kids being college kids, except having Covid going on.