• The KillerFrogs

Has GP lost his fastball?

Tumbleweed

Comfort has nothing to do with it. Gary is not comfortable with his performance, his staff etc., all you have to do is read between the lines. Gary's problem is Gary and being Gary, he doesn't know how to.

Pharm Frog

Stop it. This is crazy. No, the game hasn’t passed GP by. While today was a disappointment, especially from the defensive perspective, it was our first game of the year without a warm up. We were in this game, and we’re going to be in many other games this season too. Hang in there. Keep the faith.

Thats right. If the objective is to be competitive in the Big 12 then we’ve got what we need in what we’ve got. If the objective is to win the Big 12 and advance in the CFP....well....

CountryFrog

Seriously? How good did the Lincoln “the next coming” Riley look? Oberon, Gundy, lots and lots of people have looked really bad. This is a weird year with fewer reps, conditioning hasn’t been the same, no warm up games, etc.

I know you aren’t calling for it and maybe a change will be needed someday, but not after one game under these conditions.
While I agree with this somewhat in terms of today's game, 8 started by saying that he is looking at the last few seasons. I definitely think the last 2+ years have shown plenty of reason for concern.

I personally don't view this as some kind of make or break season for anyone but if we don't see a winning season in 2020 after what happened in 2018 and 2019 then 2021 may absolutely be make or break.

Hopefully we improve this year and don't get to that point.

Travis Trucks

You don’t understand. This is a continuation of what we saw last year besides much improved qb play in the Second half. If you like going .500 in the big 12 then by all means continue with this perspective. GP is 39-34 since 2012 when we entered the big12

There aren't many losses in the Big 12 era in which I would blame our loss on the defense.

2014 Baylor
2015 Oklahoma State
2016 Oklahoma
2017 Oklahoma (First Game)
2018 Oklahoma
2018 West Virginia
2019 Iowa State

So of those 34 losses I'd blame 7 of the defense and 3 of them were the Oklahoma juggernaut. I have much more faith in getting our defense turned around midseason than I would our offense so I am not as pessimistic as some are. Our defensive lapses today were 100% mental, outside of a couple plays its not like Iowa State just lined up and destroyed us to move the ball. IF we can get the defensive mental lapses worked out and the offense can play like it did in the 2nd half today there is reason to have some hope.

So many acting like the season is over after one opening loss.

Mr. Bigglesworth

There aren't many losses in the Big 12 era in which I would blame our loss on the defense.

2014 Baylor
2015 Oklahoma State
2016 Oklahoma
2017 Oklahoma (First Game)
2018 Oklahoma
2018 West Virginia
2019 Iowa State

So of those 34 losses I'd blame 7 of the defense and 3 of them were the Oklahoma juggernaut. I have much more faith in getting our defense turned around midseason than I would our offense so I am not as pessimistic as some are. Our defensive lapses today were 100% mental, outside of a couple plays its not like Iowa State just lined up and destroyed us to move the ball. IF we can get the defensive mental lapses worked out and the offense can play like it did in the 2nd half today there is reason to have some hope.

So many acting like the season is over after one opening loss.
Oh I’m sorry, is Gary the head coach or the defensive coordinator. The loss falls on the team. Imagine Lincoln Riley walking up to the podium my offense played well but defense sucks this loss isn’t on me. That’s trash man

Horny4TCU

defensively, where do the new ideas come from and is there any room
Well, it's not with 3 linemen. We just can't get pressure. Every OL we play is better in every aspect. We need 4 guys and one of them to step up and be the next QB Hunter.

Pharm Frog

Oh I’m sorry, is Gary the head coach or the defensive coordinator. The loss falls on the team. Imagine Lincoln Riley walking up to the podium my offense played well but defense sucks this loss isn’t on me. That’s trash man

Yep. But I doubt we’ll see another “Cumbie presser” like last year.

Travis Trucks

Well, it's not with 3 linemen. We just can't get pressure. Every OL we play is better in every aspect. We need 4 guys and one of them to step up and be the next QB Hunter.

I thought our pass rush was fine today. But at one point today they were really picking on Parker Workman, just like Iowa State did to us last year, running the ball right at him every play. If he can't get better at run defense then we just need to either put someone else in there or run a 3-3-5.

Pharm Frog

I thought our pass rush was fine today. But at one point today they were really picking on Parker Workman, just like Iowa State did to us last year, running the ball right at him every play. If he can't get better at run defense then we just need to either put someone else in there or run a 3-3-5.

You know this but the 4-2-5 is derivative of the Stack Three. It should be easy to morph in and out of that as needed.

Travis Trucks

We're 12-14 (including the win over Pine Bluff and Grill) the last 3 years.

Something is scheissing wrong.

Put the scheissing guitar down.

And how many of these losses would you attribute to us simply being beat at the game of football straight up by the other team, instead of beating ourselves?

Not very many.

Too many of our losses over the past few years are a result of beating ourselves. Started with the Ohio State game in 2018. Ever since then it seems like most of our losses are always because we decide to beat ourselves. Usually it comes from the offense but today it was the defense. Self inflicted losses are a result of lack of preparation, focus, and attention to detail.

Pharm Frog

And how many of these losses would you attribute to us simply being beat at the game of football straight up by the other team, instead of beating ourselves?

Not very many.

Too many of our losses over the past few years are a result of beating ourselves. Started with the Ohio State game in 2018. Ever since then it seems like most of our losses are always because we decide to beat ourselves. Usually it comes from the offense but today it was the defense. Self inflicted losses are a result of lack of preparation, focus, and attention to detail.

So sounds like coaching is the culprit.

Mr. Bigglesworth

So sounds like coaching is the culprit.
The mental gymnastics I have to jump thru to only attribute the defense to Gary and the whole team to someone else pains me. Gary is paid 6 million dollars to win football games. That’s it. He’s not paid to have the least amount of yards given up on defense, but instead 6 million of those dollars go to him to win games. He ain’t winning them