• The KillerFrogs

Has GP lost his fastball?

CountryFrog

It's the first game. There are so many new coaches (even if they've been with the program before), they need a chance to gel and this is the perfect season. If you watched Iowa State's first game, you would have completely written them off, but they are a decent and well coached team. This is why we have first week cup cakes.

No matter. CGP has made the right moves, and this season is #$@ regardless - mark my words - you wouldn't want this to be our coming out year! It's a perfect season for the coaches and players to figure our what works and get in a groove. For me, it's finish .500 or above and setup nicely for next season - that's realistic and achievable goal.

Heck, by even playing they've already made my day! And make no mistake, the Big XII saved college football this fall, so I'm going to give the whole conference a pass...
I certainly love the hope and optimism. There are definitely things to be positive about after today. It's just hard to lose game #1 like that to a team that got run out of their own building by Louisiana a couple weeks ago.

TX_Krötenechse

In the Fuente/Bumpas days, you could rely on TCU to play pretty disciplined, tight football. There were still breakdowns here and there, always are, but you rarely came away from a game thinking that TCU was outcoached.

The last four or five seasons I feel like we’ve been outcoached more often than not. Our team play is sloppier and we don’t seem to have a strong identity on either side of the ball.

We have two or three coaches on our staff that couldn’t get work at any other P5, and even when we have openings, Gary seemingly doesn’t even try to get new blood that might actually improve the unit. Putting Anderson back in charge of the OL after firing him from that position a few years ago is probably the worst personnel decision I’ve seen a head coach make.

Gary is a legend, and I don’t want him to leave, but at the same time, something’s gotta change. His staff and his team are not getting it done.

Horny4TCU

In the Fuente/Bumpas days, you could rely on TCU to play pretty disciplined, tight football. There were still breakdowns here and there, always are, but you rarely came away from a game thinking that TCU was outcoached.

The last four or five seasons I feel like we’ve been outcoached more often than not. Our team play is sloppier and we don’t seem to have a strong identity on either side of the ball.

We have two or three coaches on our staff that couldn’t get work at any other P5, and even when we have openings, Gary seemingly doesn’t even try to get new blood that might actually improve the unit. Putting Anderson back in charge of the OL after firing him from that position a few years ago is probably the worst personnel decision I’ve seen a head coach make.

Gary is a legend, and I don’t want him to leave, but at the same time, something’s gotta change. His staff and his team are not getting it done.
Yup.

giphy.gif

bmoney214

OUCH!!!
I get that, but Gary has always been a gambler. Our defense has always been susceptible to the big play, but it's also allowed us to punch way above our weight. And when he gambles and loses, we need an offense that can win a shootout. If Max could have played the whole game, I think we win by a point.

If we don't miss the first quarter field goal we would have won by a point.

Tumbleweed

Believe Gary understands hence the additional new assistants. But something just isn't clicking and hasn't for a few years. I'll stand in the corner and repeat what I said last year, TCU football needs some new blood and a new direction.

Eight

this is where i am in terms of the past few seasons

not about losing, but the level of play and a program that made its bones off being prepared, disciplined, well coached, etc...continues to struggle to get out of its way

there are no tenured positions in the athletic dept and i am not calling for his job, but he does need to be accountable for his staffing choices

Wexahu

Totally agree, and I’m afraid what we are seeing is a result of a coach who has gotten too comfortable. There’s no doubt in my mind he doesn’t have the drive he had 15 years ago. I’m not sure any human could though, it was kind of inevitable at some point we’d be in this position at some point.

Pharm Frog

Totally agree, and I’m afraid what we are seeing is a result of a coach who has gotten too comfortable. There’s no doubt in my mind he doesn’t have the drive he had 15 years ago. I’m not sure any human could though, it was kind of inevitable at some point we’d be in this position at some point.

It was not inevitable until we decided to go internal with the AD hire

100%

Eight

Anderson should have been gone a long time ago. Gary needs to bring in big name offensive and defensive coordinators. Gary is too loyal to coaches who aren’t getting it done coaching or recruiting!

doesn't have to be big names, but coaches who can put together a scheme, call a game, draw up plays, recruit it, and teach it

the elephant in the room offensively is scheme, personnel usage, and the line

what is frustrating is we saw what the trio did in 2016

defensively, where do the new ideas come from and is there any room

as frustrating as the poor de play today and getting gashed in the run how many times do the frogs have to give up big plays on the wheel routes?

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
this is where i am in terms of the past few seasons

not about losing, but the level of play and a program that made its bones off being prepared, disciplined, well coached, etc...continues to struggle to get out of its way

there are no tenured positions in the athletic dept and i am not calling for his job, but he does need to be accountable for his staffing choices

Seriously? How good did the Lincoln “the next coming” Riley look? Oberon, Gundy, lots and lots of people have looked really bad. This is a weird year with fewer reps, conditioning hasn’t been the same, no warm up games, etc.

I know you aren’t calling for it and maybe a change will be needed someday, but not after one game under these conditions.

Travis Trucks

Offensively I think we played really well in the 2nd half. The pass protection was bad in the 1st half but once Duggan got in and started running the offense we looked like we had a purpose and direction for the first time on offense in 3 years.

Defensively things were mental breakdown city today. This is why we play SWAC teams to start the year, to get the kinks worked out. Outside of the 2 pass plays where Hodges-Tomlinson got beat 1-on-1 their big plays were all because we had a guy out of position or blow an assignment. It just seems to happen a lot more over the past few seasons for whatever reason.

Their last TD was actually a result of a good defensive play call, but we just didn't make the play. GP knew that if they didn't get the first down but moved the ball past the LOS, they were going for it on 4th down, so we sold out trying to stop them for a loss and left no plan B if they broke the line of scrimmage, which they did. I don't fault him for that one.

I'll wait until we play another game or two before making a knee jerk reaction. Every team in this league has looked bad in their first real game this year. But the mental breakdowns on defense are starting to get old. If it continues maybe we need to simplify our defense. You can blame the players missing assignments or being out of position only for so long until it becomes a pattern too much in which you have to take a step back and make it easier to where those things don't happen as much.

Strat Frog

Stop it. This is crazy. No, the game hasn’t passed GP by. While today was a disappointment, especially from the defensive perspective, it was our first game of the year without a warm up. We were in this game, and we’re going to be in many other games this season too. Hang in there. Keep the faith.

Travis Trucks

Seriously? How good did the Lincoln “the next coming” Riley look? Oberon, Gundy, lots and lots of people have looked really bad. This is a weird year with fewer reps, conditioning hasn’t been the same, no warm up games, etc.

I know you aren’t calling for it and maybe a change will be needed someday, but not after one game under these conditions.

I think the knee jerk after one game is a bad thing. Every team in the Big 12 has looked bad in their first real game of the year(I don't count UT and OU's first opponents as real teams). This is going to be a weird year - HOWEVER - we returned 8 starters on defense and had 12 weeks to prepare. Why did we have so many mental lapses today? Guys out of position, guys blowing assignments. I guess one theory is that after 12 weeks of preparing a level of complacency starts to set in. You get tired of doing the same [ Finebaum ] day after day without any game or payoff and start going through the motions.

Mr. Bigglesworth

You don’t understand. This is a continuation of what we saw last year besides much improved qb play in the Second half. If you like going .500 in the big 12 then by all means continue with this perspective. GP is 39-34 since 2012 when we entered the big12