• The KillerFrogs

Has GP lost his fastball?

Mean Purple

This.

We're not going to stop each and every play for a loss. We have had a consistently good, sometimes great defense for many years.

Like many have said, the entire GMFP system is predicated on the front 4 getting pressure. Last season, we had little pressure from the front 4. This year looks the same. Why we haven't had any luck getting good recruits to blossom at those positions, especially considering their importance, is strange.
Well, the position coach for D-line has that responsibility.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
What we saw today was the result of bad coaching. Starting with the O-line. Your best players need to be the players closest to the ball. The high snaps, missed blocks, holding, getting their tails owned ... that is what happen when the position coach is not up to the task. GP needs to understand that the Rose Bowl buffer is over. TCU's conference record since joining the big 12 is what?

He has been too distracted, as has the team. Cutting an album, head of an association, etc. Then the social issues.

He is paid millions, and his O line has continued to regress, as has his defense as a whole. If it were not for some key stars on defense, we would have gotten destroyed.

How many times did our QBs get sacked today?

Oddly enough, the offensive scheme would work until the Frogs shot themselves in the foot.
My only comeback to your statements is that dopey playcalling resulted in sacks and pressure. While we should expect the OT to be able to handle a DE 1-on-1, ours evidently couldn't today. So the playcalling should have gotten away from putting a player in a situation where he had a strong probability of failure: Stop the 5-wide and RTDB. Hit the TE. Make it easier on the green QB.

Eight

This.

We're not going to stop each and every play for a loss. We have had a consistently good, sometimes great defense for many years.

Like many have said, the entire GMFP system is predicated on the front 4 getting pressure. Last season, we had little pressure from the front 4. This year looks the same. Why we haven't had any luck getting good recruits to blossom at those positions, especially considering their importance, is strange.

not about stopping every play, but doing so when needed

wvu, kstate, and baylor last year for example

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
not about stopping every play, but doing so when needed

wvu, kstate, and baylor last year for example
Yep. Toss in SMU and it's a Superfecta. ISU ran through them like crap through a goose last season. Last season wasn't a good defense, especially by the standards we have been used to.

Eight

Yep. Toss in SMU and it's a Superfecta. ISU ran through them like crap through a goose last season. Last season wasn't a good defense, especially by the standards we have been used to.

yet statistically best in the b12 which doesn't mean squat if you can't come up with key stops

the concern is not scheme, but personnel issues at a critical point in the defense

Given the 'cluster' that we witnessed today....does the evolving criticism,

that continues to question the coaching staff's deficiency in preparation,

player development and questionable play calling, have a degree of merit

that should be challenged? Given Gary's hallowed position...probably not!

tyler durden

Tyler Durden
I get that, but Gary has always been a gambler. Our defense has always been susceptible to the big play, but it's also allowed us to punch way above our weight. And when he gambles and loses, we need an offense that can win a shootout. If Max could have played the whole game, I think we win by a point.
Gambling I can live with: if there is a safety flying to head-hunt a QB, he makes a play and scorches us for a TD. Downside, they scored. Upside, we behead the QB. But now it feels like they either gain 5 yards on a pitch-and-catch, or destroy us with a 75 yard run. On any given play.

Mr. Bigglesworth

Gambling I can live with: if there is a safety flying to head-hunt a QB, he makes a play and scorches us for a TD. Downside, they scored. Upside, we behead the QB. But now it feels like they either gain 5 yards on a pitch-and-catch, or destroy us with a 75 yard run. On any given play.
Yeah gary is a huge gambler with his fetish for punting on the opponents 40yd line. We’ve got a regular ole Kenny Rogers on the sidelines and I’m not talking about the ex ranger that assaulted a camera man but the man that folds his cards every time he hits the 40.

Moose Stuff

great, but if I recall correctly that leading defense couldn't hold baylor, wvu, and kstate when it mattered

do we want to look at the 2018 and 2017 season now

Not making some key stops isn't quite the same thing as the getting exposed more and more and more comment I originally responded to. We've led the conference in defense 3 years in a row and gave up 53 points in regulation in those 3 losses. If you've got a problem with that then whatever but I'll take it every damn day of the week.

Eight

Not making some key stops isn't quite the same thing as the getting exposed more and more and more comment I originally responded to. We've led the conference in defense 3 years in a row and gave up 53 points in regulation in those 3 losses. If you've got a problem with that then whatever but I'll take it every damn day of the week.

how many times did a tcu defense give up 40+ in the mwc or cusa?

how many games did tcu give up 450+ in total offense?

Wexahu

I think the biggest problem with the defense is not so much coaching, but a MASSIVE personnel problem at one position group. We are playing kids every down there that I'm not sure would be 3rd stringers at more than a few P5 schools. Yes, talent evaluation and acquisition is part of coaching but I don't believe the X's and O's, prep and play calling is the main problem.

Offensively, I think the system just sucks. The fact that he has stuck with Cumbie as long as he has and then as the "fix" brought a guy back that he didn't deem worthy to keep a few years ago and another guy who was his best man and doesn't share the same offensive philosophy as the other two....well, I'll give it more time but that looked like a major head scratcher from the start. The kind of thing a coach does who is has gotten way too comfortable

Moose Stuff

Or that miserable play calling at the end of the first half. Kinda running out the clock; kinda hurry up; then run your qb right into a rush and give up a fumble that turns into 7 points real quick. That was a disaster

I don't think we really have any idea what exactly we are to be honest.