• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Will Big 12 players kneel during the anthem? Bob Bowlsby calls it ‘ongoing topic’

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Will Big 12 players kneel during the anthem? Bob Bowlsby calls it ‘ongoing topic’

By Drew Davison

The Big 12 is considering an avenue that would allow football players to kneel during the national anthem this season.

Commissioner Bob Bowlsby spoke at length Monday about the conference rolling out an anti-racism and anti-hate campaign, saying players should feel empowered to speak out.

A question is whether the league will allow players to do so during the national anthem. Unlike professional players, college players are usually not on the field during the anthem. Therefore, they do not have the option to kneel as a way to protest racial injustices across the country.

Read more here: https://www.star-telegram.com/sport...niversity/article245538445.html#storylink=cpy

CountryFrog

Players not being on the field during the anthem makes this article simply filler as usual for this rag of a paper. In its hey day the Star Telegram was really worth while. Now it is simply a waste of space.
Bowlsby is saying that may not be the case this season and it may be left up to each individual school on whether or not to have the players on the field during the anthem.

Palliative Care

Fine if they do that then I am leaving. We have put up with a lot this year but to purposely do this is a slap in the face. For me this is not about Trump or Biden. You people with you constant political bickering make me ill. It is about respect of self and country.
I know I am politically incorrect but enough is enough. I can support only so much discord but to purposely shove it down our throats goes too far.
I am attending games to see these young people play a game and have some quality time being "normal" again. I don't need politics all the time. Give it a friggin' rest!!!!!!

notyalc

If they kneel the fans should protest by showing up halfway through the first quarter. I think we do that anyway. Or why not have a moment of silence for unity and justice (or whatever) after the anthem is over?

HFrog12

Truly don’t care what the players do, that is their prerogative. Interesting that they would change up protocol to bring them out for something that they are going to end up protesting? As a fan I’ll stand for the national anthem and then cheer the team whether they kneel, protest, stand, or don’t come out at all. That’s what makes this country great.

All that being said, I always struggle to understand the ultimate goal of protesting the national anthem. Maybe I’m a simpleton but to virtue signal you are woke that is great, by all means, but is the goal to remove the anthem? By protesting am I further going to believe this country is founded on racism and I in turn will begin protesting the anthem myself (I.e. is the goal to get me as a fan to jump on the bandwagon)? I think their are a lot more functional ways to improve the country than protesting our anthem.

So I’ll stand, players can do what they want, and I’ll cheer them on to kick the other teams ass. No need to cancel my team because they view things different. And I will stay bewildered by it all.

Last edited:

FinanceFrog

Fine if they do that then I am leaving. We have put up with a lot this year but to purposely do this is a slap in the face. For me this is not about Trump or Biden. You people with you constant political bickering make me ill. It is about respect of self and country.
I know I am politically incorrect but enough is enough. I can support only so much discord but to purposely shove it down our throats goes too far.
I am attending games to see these young people play a game and have some quality time being "normal" again. I don't need politics all the time. Give it a friggin' rest!!!!!!

what is it liked to be this thin skinned?

froginmn

If they kneel the fans should protest by showing up halfway through the first quarter. I think we do that anyway. Or why not have a moment of silence for unity and justice (or whatever) after the anthem is over?
If a tree falls in the forest...

So we are really to the point that someone may be considering making a change to the traditional college pregame that has been used for decades to give the players an opportunity to protest the national anthem just in case some want to do so? If they want to make some demonstration that is up to them but it seems a bridge too far that the schools would change the pregame to create a special protest period with the national anthem.

SuperBarrFrog

You obviously don’t truly appreciate freedom. “The players should be here to entertain me, not protest. They offend ME, and that is all the matters!” Isn’t the point of being a doctor to care about and help others? Talk about snowflakes.

To dishonor this Country, its Flag and National Anthem, shows contempt and disdain

for the multitudes who have paid the ultimate sacrifice in her defense. Those piteous

individuals, who by their deeds and actions choose to disparage this semblance of

national pride, forfeit any right to live in this society....Delta, is ready when you are!