• The KillerFrogs

Duggan out for at least part of the year

He won’t be back ever it appears.

If it’s a heart valve he will need an operation and football will be over for good. Initial reports indicate that’s what it may be.

He was born with it. It ain’t gonna heal. He will need extremely serious and very major heart surgery if that’s what it is.

Can’t play football with bad heart valve.

Not certain that is the problem but guessing it is. If so he is done permanently. Very very sad !!
Not true.

Palliative Care

Let's set the record straight. No one has actually identified this as actually being a heart valve but that is the speculation. There are four heart valves and again we do not know which one is affected if any. By far the most significant one is the aortic valve which is between the left (largest) ventricle and the aorta (the large artery that carries oxygenated blood to the test of the body). This valve is the most likely candidate for requiring surgery that would cost Duggan to be out for a period of time or forever.

The reason is that if you must replace it the best type of valve in a young person is an artificial one. It last longer and works better over time. (Anything is of course a crap shoot as all people will be different). The problem with an artificial valve is it absolutely requires that the person be on the blood thinner coumadin. You cannot very well play football taking this.

The other option is a pig valve which does not require blood thinner but it definitely does not last as long as the artificial valve will. Either way a young person person will probably need a redo surgery eventually. Now the good new unlike myself when I had my arortic valve replaced eight years ago, open heart surgery is not absolutely required these days to correct these problems.

Also not only are the techniques getting far less invasive but the redo surgeries are less likely to be as big a deal either. (For other docs pardon me for making this too simple but I have probably lost most everyone already).

So no Wyoming Fog is not absolutely correct in his assumptions.

Palliative Care

I just read an interview with Duggan's father and he stated that Matt's condition was found on an EKG. If he is right and he is not calling the test an EGG when it was actually an imaging test, then this would be good news indeed as it would be an arrhythmia or irregular heart beat. Those are managed with much less therapy than valvular disease which it was often mentioned on this thread. It also would allow for a much quicker recovery. A word of caution is that what I am telling is not definitive since I have no direct knowledge of his condition. But let us hope for his sake that this is the case.