• The KillerFrogs

2023-2024 European Football Thread

Chongo94

Buddy just informed me that the English version of Madrid vs ManCity is actually airing on CBSSports channel...1643 on U-verse.

dawg

"The headline here is that these layoffs will save Arsenal, and Kroenke, no more than $3 million. They just netted $4.7M for winning the FA Cup, and guaranteed themselves tens of millions of dollars by qualifying for the Europa League. It is also important to note that Kroenke and his wife Ann Walton Kroenke, the Walmart heiress, are worth $8.3 billion. That $3M they save is exactly .03% of their worth."

$3m a rounding error for Kroenke. Absolutely pathetic. The players' 12.5% pay cuts were made in part to spare layoffs at club. There was a saying long held at Arsenal, and repeated by Ian Wright (the club's second-leading goal scorer) when the cuts were announced: “Remember who you are, what you are, and who you represent." Clearly no longer held.

It does get a bit harder for me if I’m not paying close attention as I can’t necessarily tell when a foul or a goal has occurred as the commentators go spastic for both.

Most English commentators in the vein of Pat Summerall; the Telemundo/Univision guys are Gus Johnson after six cans of Red Bull, which makes me wish my Spanish was better.

Last edited:

Chongo94

"The headline here is that these layoffs will save Arsenal, and Kroenke, no more than $3 million. They just netted $4.7M for winning the FA Cup, and guaranteed themselves tens of millions of dollars by qualifying for the Europa League. It is also important to note that Kroenke and his wife Ann Walton Kroenke, the Walmart heiress, are worth $8.3 billion. That $3M they save is exactly .03% of their worth."

$3m a rounding error for Kroenke. Absolutely pathetic. The players' 12.5% pay cuts were made in part to spare layoffs at club. There was a saying long held at Arsenal, and repeated by Ian Wright (the club's second-leading goal scorer): “Remember who you are, what you are, and who you represent." Clearly no longer held.

Most English commentators in the vein of Pat Summerall; the Telemundo/Univision guys are Gus Johnson after six cans of Red Bull, which makes me wish my Spanish was better.

It puts Özil’s reluctance to the pay cut in more perspective for sure now.

Hahah, that is exactly it, great analogy!

Chongo94

At least CBS got Kate Abdo....

Kate-Abdo-2.jpg

Chongo94

Apparently, Barca and Napoli will be on CBS Sports channel today so that makes 2 games aired now, so I’m guessing that article stating they were only going to air 3 games was wrong...?

Guessing more will be aired on this channel and only the final and certain semis will be aired on the main CBS...?

Chongo94

CBS makes the NCAA Tournament so painful to watch. I've long considered it the worst network for sports of every type. I only watch games on CBS b/c I care about the event or player/team. If I've got other options with no dog in the hunt I choose another network EVERY single time.

Ok, so so far, and I use the “so far” gingerly, CBS’ coverage has been great. Or rather their pregame show is great, but that’s because of the talent they’re using with Micah Richards and Carragher and Schmeichel, etc. And the female presenters are great too, Abdo knows her stuff obviously and Alex Scott was great for Arsenal’s women’s team.

Still, a promising start...far better than the Bleacher Report/TNT stuff.